Review Round 12, 2019: Box Hill Hawks v Sandringham Zebras, 22 June 2019, 2.10pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Hanrahan can offer more than Bruest at the minute?

I wish people would lay off Punky.
Try being a forward in our forward line and getting a kick.
Slow ball movement from the back half then long bomb into an over-crowded forward line.
If anything, Poppy is the one that should be out.

Ollie will be lucky to be on our list next year.
All I hear is that he needs to lift his work rate.

A bit cold and damp at Box Hill today but I still enjoyed it as I was there with St Kilda/Sandringham supporting relies :p Great to see Birchall back and he did quite well I thought. Loved seeing Hanrahan playing well too :thumbsu: Better win than I expected given Box Hill's recent form and the fact that Sandy were higher than us on the ladder. Felt sorry for the players though, most of them were caked in mud by the end of the match!

Cousins got the Silk-Miller Medal for BOG. I thought that Andrew Moore was. It was also great to see Moore, Howe and Jones get the hard ball. I was very impressed with Jones. Schoenmakers and Mirra combined very well down back to make it difficult for the Zebras to score. Mitch Lewis hit several contests hard often going up against three opponents made it easier for the crumbers had his hand in several goals. Some really good ground play from Minchington, Hanrahan, Ross and Golds. It will take me a few hours to thaw out but it was worth it to see a win.

Birch played two and a bit quarters. Moved freely and showed no obvious effects, even at full tilt. Left boot was still raking and radar-like. Looked comfortable and authoritative, even took on two forwards at one stage, got around them and delivered truly. Boxes ticked.

I wish people would lay off Punky.
Try being a forward in our forward line and getting a kick.
Slow ball movement from the back half then long bomb into an over-crowded forward line.
If anything, Poppy is the one that should be out.

Ollie will be lucky to be on our list next year.
All I hear is that he needs to lift his work rate.
Me too.

Has performed on the biggest stage. Same with Gunners. Tough times for them but once our midfield woes are fixed they will start to shine brightly again.

Birch played two and a bit quarters. Moved freely and showed no obvious effects, even at full tilt. Left boot was still raking and radar-like. Looked comfortable and authoritative, even took on two forwards at one stage, got around them and delivered truly. Boxes ticked.
Great report. Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did Miles go today?

He's been pretty good this year and his rebound and dash would be worth a final extended look in the ones seeing that we've got nothing to lose. He would of been a perfect match up for Papley on the weekend. On the bigger MCG and with the Eagles having plenty of nippy small forwards I would like to see him come into the team this week as long as he was good again today.

M
A bit cold and damp at Box Hill today but I still enjoyed it as I was there with St Kilda/Sandringham supporting relies :p Great to see Birchall back and he did quite well I thought. Loved seeing Hanrahan playing well too :thumbsu: Better win than I expected given Box Hill's recent form and the fact that Sandy were higher than us on the ladder. Felt sorry for the players though, most of them were caked in mud by the end of the match!
Mud? Oh no.

Welcome back Birchall. Good luck to Minchington as well. He’s a had a horrible run with hamstring injuries. I think he’s had three separate hamstring injuries this year alone. Like Birchall he will need at least 2-3 games in the VFL before being considered to play at AFL level. Hopefully we see them both in the senior team sometime before the season finishes.
He is the poppy replacement Minchington. When he is ready expect to see him knocking on the door for a senior call up.

Birch looked good, kicking lovely to watch. Took 6 marks in a half - most on the ground at half time. Was involved and looks strong.

Hanrahan kicked 3 opportunist goals but was maybe a bit lucky, one was on the goal line, another a lucky mid-air volley from 20 out. The other was from a set shot when an errant opposition switch found him 40 out. But you make your own luck so hopefully the beginning of something for him.

Mirra was outstanding up back, desperately unlucky not to be in the votes.

Lewis was a strong presence up forward but couldn't hold his pack marks in the wet.

Nash was lively - probably the most comfortable I've seen him. Very creative and smart forward play.

Reeves is definitely taking steps. Couple of pack marks. Looking stronger in the contest.

Howe was just ok. Game suited him but he didn't look above the level at all. He's a pretty poor kick and makes some poor choices with his kicks. Jones was far better than him today. Cousins accumulated best of any of them, lots of contested wins, but Jones stood out with his balance of contested wins and also run and delivery.

Miles was Miles, but not one of his best games - got out of trouble brilliantly then would burn the ball. Golds was involved but it was a slog type game for most of it and that doesn't suit him.

Schoey was solid, Pitto also. Greaves was excellent, both in the scraps and on the outside as well. Minchington quiet.

Ross was pretty quiet but it wasn't easy conditions for his type. Did some nice passes and took a strong grab for his goal. Badly missed a couple of basic tackles which won't help his cause. Was clearly annoyed with himself each time.

CJ was knocked out in the opening minute after he'd gotten off a handball and was then looking to get up. Didn't seem malicious but was definitely avoidable. The oppo player tried to jump over him when he didn't need to and just smashed his knee into CJ's head. He appeared completely unconscious for a time.

Meadows and Moore revelled in the conditions. At times our mids were hard to tell from Sandy players as they were caked in mud head to toe. I thought Kilpatrick was superb, in the second half especially. Was one player who picked up the wet ball clean every time and used it. Mascitti was excellent too, kicked a couple of great goals wandering down from defence.

Ross was picked up by coffield. Who played him pretty well. Its the first time Ross has had opposition pay him any respect this season.

Birch did as much as he could for his first game back. In that second qtr we got to witness a bit of footy pr0n not seen for a while. Birch ran onto the ball in the back pocket broke thd first tackle engaged the second opponent anf fired a blind handball over his head to his box hill team mate who was in the clear.

He still has it. Its only about recovery and continuity. It will be interesting if he stays fit would raise a few questions about his future. Long way to go but i want to believe

He is the poppy replacement Minchington. When he is ready expect to see him knocking on the door for a senior call up.
He has a mile to go. 2nd club and still can't stay on the park. He deserves a 2nd year as has ability but if the same participation rate is in place this time next year then it is goodbye.

Ross was picked up by coffield. Who played him pretty well. Its the first time Ross has had opposition pay him any respect this season.

Birch did as much as he could for his first game back. In that second qtr we got to witness a bit of footy pr0n not seen for a while. Birch ran onto the ball in the back pocket broke thd first tackle engaged the second opponent anf fired a blind handball over his head to his box hill team mate who was in the clear.

He still has it. Its only about recovery and continuity. It will be interesting if he stays fit would raise a few questions about his future. Long way to go but i want to believe
If he has a good run at it the balance of the year hope we give him a 1 year contract. Has had 2 years off body should be ok. Off to hide in a bunker expecting to have plenty thrown at me.

If he has a good run at it the balance of the year hope we give him a 1 year contract. Has had 2 years off body should be ok. Off to hide in a bunker expecting to have plenty thrown at me.
Mate he is just on a different level skills wise with just about everyone else at training except maybe Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

Back