Round 15, 2012 - Geelong v Box Hill Hawks, 7 July 2012, 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Fresh from an almost 10 goal mauling of the Northern Blues at Box Hill City Oval last weekend, the Hawks travel down the highway to play the Cats in the first of three consecutive games away from home.

geelong-vs-bhh.gif

The Cats won't be easy-beats by any stretch of the imagination, sitting fourth on the ladder, a game ahead of the Hawks, having beaten the Coburg Tigers by almost eight goals (it would have been much more had the Cats not kicked poorly for goal).

With ABC providing live coverage of the game from 1.00pm on Saturday, it should be a cracker.

Please note that the development squad again has the bye, so there'll be no dew kicked off the turf of Kardinia Stadium this weekend.

Teams to follow.

txt_fullback.png

Full Back C. Guthrie (29) T. Gillies (25) J. Murdoch (21)
txt_fullforward.png

Full Forward D. WANGANEEN (46) L. Lowden (39) M. Hallahan (38)
txt_halfback.png

Half Back T. Hunt (19) A. McLean (54) B. Smedts (2)
txt_halfforward.png

Half Forward T. Murphy (83) K. Cheney (63) A. Frank (43)
txt_centre.png

Center S. Byrnes (17) T. Selwood (51) S. Hogan (34)
txt_centre.png

Center S. Savage (71) C. Bruce (67) C. Young (73)
txt_halfforward.png

Half Forward G. Burbury (43) J. Walker (42) J. Sheringham (38)
txt_halfback.png

Half Back A. Litherland (42) S. Gilham (78) J. Kelly (34)
txt_fullforward.png

Full Forward O. Stephenson (23) M. Brown (1) J. Schroder (15)
txt_fullback.png

Full Back T. Duryea (41) J. Boumann (61) A. Boseley (44)

Followers
D. Simpson (16)
G. HORLIN-SMITH (33)
D. Gleeson (50)

Followers
B. McCAULEY (40)
L. Shiels (76)
T. Schneider (45)

Interchange
J. Hollmer (52)
J. Simpkin (46)
S. Kersten (39)
M. Corrigan (57)
R. Bathie (47)

Interchange
W. Johnson (24)
M. Jones (59)
L. Tobin (31)
T. Gilchrist (7)
L. Andrews (5)

Good on Andrew Boseley. He should know the ground well.

No Adam Pattison. Grimley still remains out of the side with poor form. David Mirra is a huge loss.

... and of course a reminder, if you can't get to the game or near a TV (in Victoria), the game is being covered live from 12pm on Radio 3WBC.

94.1 FM for those in Melbourne's Inner East and for everyone else, the stream is at www.3wbc.org.au

Oh, and yes, I'm back in the commentary box this week :p

Pete @ 3WBC

Gotta love the TV game...

Not all that many games left for a few of our Hawthorn-listed players to do everthing they can to make sure they stay on the list in 13. I am looking at Litherland, Hallahan and to a lesser extent Duryea. Not quite fighting for their survival but they still need to show a bit.

Will be good to see Gillies play for the cats given we were keen on him preseason.

2012 Peter Jackson VFL​
Geelong Cats
4.4 12.5 15.7 21.13 (139)
Box Hill Hawks
3.5 4.7 11.8 13.10 (88)

GOALS:
Geelong Cats: Walker 5 Schroder 3 Hollmer 3 Simpkin 2 Corrigan 2 McCarthy Stephenson Barham Kersten Burbury Hogan
Box Hill Hawks: Pratt 3 Frank 2 McCAULEY 2 Schneider Tobin Murphy Lowden Johnson Bruce

BEST:
Geelong Cats: Walker Stephenson Schroder Gillies Sheringham Burbury
Box Hill Hawks: Gilham Bruce Duryea WANGANEEN Schneider McCAULEY

Ironically, I watched all bar the third quarter on TV. The quarter where we kicked 7.4!! Considering they only managed another 6.6 for the game, I feel a bit hard done by. The second quarter was one of the worst efforts I've seen by a Box Hill side. They were like witches hats.

Geelong have a very impressive bunch of AFL listed players. They may have found another beauty in forward
Josh Walker. While we have some kids destined to play senior football, I am a little worried about the likes of Kelly, Litherland and Hallahan (assuming they didn't all dominate the third term!).

I like Amos Frank. He is a real excitement machine when he get the ball - he just doesn't get it enough yet. Duryea is a pretty decent kick.

Being a TV game, I actually got to watch.

Missed the 2nd quarter (good quarter to miss), saw us blitz the third, and then fall away in the last.

Thought Lowden looked downright timid in the ruck against Stephenson. I haven't seen someone look so afraid on the field since Ryder went up in the ruck in his first couple of games.

McAuley looked good up forward, surprisingly agile for a big guy, decent mark, found himself in dangerous positions. Didn't see him ruck too much, considering he's played seniors as our #1.

Schneider - I like the kid. He is so aware in packs, very good by hand. Still has a lot of work to do to be AFL level, but at this level his extra class is obvious.

Wanganeen - I was told at least a dozen times he was being tagged heavily, but felt he's still "almost" a midfielder. Got quite a few effective touches, but doesn't position himself for the easy accumulation of touches. Instead he makes every possession count by going direct.

Frank - Cheat. Twice was inside 50m in 20m of space, both times as a result of not chasing. I missed the last tv game, and haven't seen any of the 'Rioli-esque brilliance' others have mentioned.

Hallahan seemed to work his way into it in the third, but I don't remember seeing him at all in the first, and was chasing tail in the last.

Boumann was barely sighted.

Duryea - kept his man quiet, found space and rebounded well with that great leg. One very poor incident when he chose not to go, and his team-mate was swamped by 3 opponents, lost the ball and they ran away with it. Has AFL level hands.

Gilham had some great kicks, was composed over the ball, but also seemed to be out of the play most times. Not sure if 3rd tall, or just drawn away, but either way he didn't provide the sort of support you'd expect from a 100-gamer.

Kelly - I don't see it. Short, slow, lack of awareness.

Litherland - Most prominent defender, with a heap of ball directed through his man. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but he competed strongly.

Bosely - Not sure if he is, but just seems ultra-quick. A couple of 'suicidal' efforts but was ineffectual with the ball in hand.

Bruce - was probably our best overall contributor. Does a lot of blocking and unrewarded running to create space. Got angry at one stage, when he led his man away to open up space, and then they kicked to the contest with him against 3 opponents.

...From today's performance there's nothing that screams AFL level. A few handy pieces, but no-one showed the complete package.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lowden's been monstered a bit this year, especially against the likes of David Hille & Orren Stephenson. His ruckwork impresses me more than his around the ground efforts.

I agree re Kelly. He's easy to kick goals on. Not certain if he was recruited to be a future key position back, or as a half back/third tall type. He simply doesn't have the pace and mobility for the latter.

The something about Boseley. While his kicking can be ordinary, he's quick, as you say Simon. Looks a likely full back to me.

McCauley played forward a lot, probably due to our lack of quality talls at Box Hill. He should have kicked more than 2. Broc is not a great shot at goal. Can take a grab though.

Hopefully Box Hill will still be in the running for finals action by our next televised game against Coburg on August 4.

Ventured down the road to Geelong today.

We seemed to kick the ball quickly out of packs in the third quarter to escape the big boddies of Geelong and it worked well. We were cooked though come the final quarter.

Think Broc was our only 4 quarter player.

Lowdens ruckwork was first class. But struggled around the ground for mine.

I have question marks over Amos' application to the contest. I feel he needs to go back to the Dev Squad and learn how to play football. His forward pressure is non-existent.

Litherland I have seen nothing in why we drafted him. Will be delisted at the years end for mine.

Bosely was really good today. Definitely something to work with.

Bosely is the highlight for me. As a first year rookie (plays like fletcher) in a handful of games showed more than grimley (who cannot make the seniors) has in four years.

Bruce was BOG.

Frank is lazy but needs to stay in the seniors to learn the game.

Halahan continued to dissapoint.

Wanga should play midfield for the remainder of the year great handballs in close. Will be elevated at years end for sure.

Gilham is way off.

McCauley was great first game back, as a rookie, we got him cheap and I feel he will contribute more in the next 5 years than Renouf would have.

Geelong has some real talent, that tall forward who kicked 4 will be a star.

No one player pushed for selection today.

Our defence was poor. We missed Cheney, T Murphy & Mirra.

Hallahan, Kelly & Litherland are the beneficiaries of our alignment to Box Hill. At a club like Williamstown or Werribee, for instance, they may have spent a fair bit more time in the development squad. I saw more in BH listed Michael Thompson, than Kelly & Litherland today. Young Liam Tobin is worth persevering with too.

I watched the game today and agree with Simon's comments. The only young players who look AFL ready were Wanganeen and Schneider. Gilham Bruce and Duryea were OK but others like Lowden look miles off the pace. Bosely also looks interesting but needs a lot more weight and work on his disposal.

On the other hand Geelong seemed to have a lot of talented kids to get excited about.

A very disappointing effort from Box Hill except for the third quarter.

Pretty hard to get excited about our second string players that showed up today. Broc looks OK, can be a tad soft and at 25 having been on an AFL list I wonder how much improvement is left in him.

Boseley and Boumann get some slack but the rest do not seem to have enough tricks to play AFL. From what I have seen this year, BHH best are Bruce, Gilly, then Cheney and Murph. Throw in Changa and our future is not all that rosy.

Pretty hard to get excited about our second string players that showed up today. Broc looks OK, can be a tad soft and at 25 having been on an AFL list I wonder how much improvement is left in him.

Boseley and Boumann get some slack but the rest do not seem to have enough tricks to play AFL. From what I have seen this year, BHH best are Bruce, Gilly, then Cheney and Murph. Throw in Changa and our future is not all that rosy.

Two years ago everyone was worried about our development/depth as well i.e Shiels, Savage, Suckling ect. and that has turned out ok. Hope this turns out to be the case again.

Hopefully Langford and Woodward can overcome their injuries to throw their names back in the mix at some point in the future. Ellis due back soon also, so perhaps it's not as bad as it looks presently.

Thanks for those links, BlackByrd. Reading the Hawthorn report on the players, you'd think that Box Hill would have had a comfortable victory, given that all the Hawthorn-listed Box Hill players pretty much played well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back