Review Round 17, 2016 - Brisbane Lions vs GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not exactly what I was expecting. But not overly surprised. Didnt get to watch all of it as my oldest boy who is just about fully toilet trained (as in joking about when he needs to go and laughs at me when we get there) kept going to the toilet.

First off ill have a crack at our ruck. Martin just isnt cutting it. West must really be shot if he cant get a gig over him. Martin got his big pay cheque and is now settled. Not good enough.

Turnovers. The boys got their way when they told leppa they like play on Footy. Hit some targets if thats the way you want to play then.

Schache and Hipwood done ok. Our forward line will he ok in 3-4 years time.

Matho is hard at it. Wish half our boys played with as much endeavour.

Cant say much about the rest.

I'm struggling to understand where Rockliff got his team high 36 possessions from because as far as I could see from the stands it felt like he was awol. Zorko no problems but rocky and Hanley too, 23 possessions? Wow.

I've not seen such a limp wristed effort from the officials as I did today. There were so many times players were clearly held with no ramifications, players were tackled without the ball, and in the situations when we did actually get a free, the mark was hardly policed - many times the opposition simply walked over with no notice. My biggest wtf was opposition players being midway through being directed around on a tight angle in front of goal and playing on while the ump was directing traffic. This happened at least 3 times that all lead to goals. We get a free in the middle and play on - oh no, we weren't behind the mark.

Disgusting. I completely get why we aren't the favourites to walk away with the chocolates at the moment but is it too much to ask to get some proper officiating?

With that rant out the way, I throw all my points to Mitch Robinson this week. He needs to run workshops on how to attack the ball, there's a massive disconnect between his intensity and what the other players are committing with. Bring more of that on please!
I said to my mate "wonder if Mitch gets into the rooms at half/full time and asks if there any others that might want to lend a f......g hand out there"

It is time to throw some ridiculous coin at some senior players to help ease the load on the young blokes. Happy to part with 600k a season for Lonergan and Gibson. We need some assistant coaches on the field ASAP!

Theres no need to do that.

Offer a year as a player on $300k, and then several years as an assistant coach at the same money.

This will save cap room.

What did he say

Nothing overly interesting. He handles the media pretty well. He acknowledged that things like breaking tackles and sticking tackles are things that are going to take a while to improve.

I'd rather we learn the art of dropping the ball the second you get tackled before we learn to tackle, GWS & the Hawks do it so well.

Hard to pick any good players this arvo.
Anyone rating Rockliff's game is kidding themselves.

Have just come from a post game family debate that young Darcy has been given enough chances and in my brother and uncles opinions its time to put a line through him their main criticisms being that he is too slow, too stiff and lacks versatility, i absolutely disagree and think that Gardiner whilst not at peak is still too young to write off, still has time to develop extra skills and deserves through to end of next year to truly establish himself, if by then he hasn't improved sufficiently i may be in the camp to move him on or does anyone else here agree with the other side and think its already too late?

Wow, when Leppa said in the presser that we were close to our limit with the salary cap that feels like a kick in the guts. Talk about s**t value for money..

I haven't listened to what Leppa said, but from the Brisbane Lions tweet it looks like he was meaning we have to develop our own homegrown players because we don't have a retention allowance and the AFL are not letting us use our remaining space in the salary cap that we had banked (and we don't have any money to fund it ourselves - Caroline Wilson reported this earlier this year).

There is no way we are currently paying 100% of the cap. We are meant to be paying at least 95% (like all clubs), but you would have to think the Lions and the AFL are putting in some dodgy accounting to pretend to the AFLPA that we are doing that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

regardless of how young we are, our defensive structure isn't up to scratch. Aiming to score a 100 points is something we should be setting our goals towards once we aren't having 120+ scored against us week in week out. These big scores against us and huge losses are just soul destroying for everyone in the football club especially out young defense. I just want to see us improving in the basics of the game such as defense, but we aren't.

Have just come from a post game family debate that young Darcy has been given enough chances and in my brother and uncles opinions its time to put a line through him their main criticisms being that he is too slow, too stiff and lacks versatility, i absolutely disagree and think that Gardiner whilst not at peak is still too young to write off, still has time to develop extra skills and deserves through to end of next year to truly establish himself, if by then he hasn't improved sufficiently i may be in the camp to move him on or does anyone else here agree with the other side and think its already too late?

You tell them to give the kid some time. He will develop into a power defensive unit. He will be close to our top 10 in our b&f this year.

It is a long dark tunnel ahead for this club. A long, long dark tunnel. And the light at the end is still very far distant. Sadly, when we finally come out the other side a few years from now there will be far fewer of us.

All you can do is hop off, or decide to stick around, grit your teeth and hope we find a way out of the darkness.

I'd agree with you. He's 20, been in the system for only two and a half years, and a KPD. He shouldn't be out there every week in a good team, and neither would McStay and Andrews, but we literally have no other options. He definitely has a defensive presence that I like, though he'll never be a real rebounder.

Hard to pick any good players this arvo.
Anyone rating Rockliff's game is kidding themselves.
Not sure he could of done much more TBH. Hard to fault his game. His biggest problem is he has no one apart from robbo who is willing to put in. So when he is at the bottom of the pack extracting the pill there is no one there within reason to help.

Personally think he's good and very worth sticking with. He's definite best 22 and I know that internally the club rate him very highly. With more maturity, and surrounded by more maturity, he would be part of a strong backline.

Back