Review Round 18, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Should have won, not because we were the better team but because they were spent and defended from the 5 minute mark of the last 1/4. We just couldn't get enough clean ball and lacked poise going forward when we got it, a very mature defensive effort from them to hold on, we just lacked polish.

Still happy with the effort.

We lost to the crows by 5 points without anyone really playing well, tell me who played really well.. Gards and Steph maybe?

Cutler should get 2 or 3, put your elbow up and take someone out, you're gone.

Barrett no way.

On another note MARK RUSCUITO is a digrace. Sooked the entire broadcast, almost every call we got, 'we will need to have a look at that one'.. yet not once did he question any of their frees, not once.

How many excuses did he have for them? Roos too.. sooking the entire broadcast.

If you cant control your emotions and bias in the box then dont call crows games.

F***ing annoyed me the entire game with his tense, subtle complaining.
Didn't get a lot of help from lynchy either.

A bloody brave effort.

Those misses by Hipwood and Rich and not sticking tackles was the difference. Couldn't halt their speedy transition.

The Big O and Stef were awesome combo. Witho you star.
Darcy great work. Cutler again failed to make the most of his chances.
Robbo and Eric were quiet but that's to be expected after a few stellar weeks.
Cats next week at the Cattery always tough.
OUT: Cox, Cutler (Suspended), Matho
IN: Harris, Hodgey and Corey Lyons

What? he jumped in an attempt to get the ball, missed it, he was already in the air and the Adelaide bloke ran or got pushed into him. There was no elbow, if he stuck his elbow up like dog Cameron that blokes head would have nearly come off. Incidental contact and will not even get sighted.
Take your Lions glasses off. He wasn't looking at the ball at the time of the hit. You jump, eyes on player not ball and high contact comes which results in player not coming back on, then he is gone. Anyone got a video of incident?

What? he jumped in an attempt to get the ball, missed it, he was already in the air and the Adelaide bloke ran or got pushed into him. There was no elbow, if he stuck his elbow up like dog Cameron that blokes head would have nearly come off. Incidental contact and will not even get sighted.
Exactly.

Amazed that anyone thinks Cutler sniped him and threw he elbow out.

It was incidental contact with players eyes fixated on the ball.

Looked as much on the ground.

Adelaide have a strong midfield so while we lost the middle, it will be a good learning experience for Berry and Clugg.

Genuinely shocked at some of the s**t said about Cox on here. Emotional shitposting.
To be fair he didn't have a great game, but he is only young and will be a player eventually, just not in the back half imo

I think there is a future for him but he is a defensive liability and lacks serious poise. Happy to get a few games into him lately and he was involved in a few nice passages, but I can understand the frustration.
Cox struggled in defence but some of the comments here are out of line ,he's just learning and got a bit overawed ,I still think he could make a player. It was only a matter of time before not having Hodge and Andrews down back caused us some pain and today was the day .Plus considering we had so many players below their best it was an excellent effort to grind the match out and we could have even pinched it but for some messy shots on goal.

Today we just didn't get enough from our second tier players ,Taylor,Christensen ,Robinson and 2 or 3 others.Really happy with the duo of Matin/McInerny

All in all I think we should be satisfied with the effort . Cutler to get one ,McStay not his fault

Take your Lions glasses off. He wasn't looking at the ball at the time of the hit. You jump, eyes on player not ball and high contact comes which results in player not coming back on, then he is gone. Anyone got a video of incident?
Nah reckon he is fine had his eye on the ball right up until just before impact

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the tv it looked as though Hipwood returned to his old bad habit of leading and running too far under the ball. Or he just doesn’t time his runs very well.

Cutler deserves weeks, flew unrealistically at a ball and raised his elbow late, and it wasnt a pure footballing action like say.. him putting his elbow out with a hand on ball or buddy's forearm breaking through a group of players trying to tackle him earlier in the year, the ball wasnt even close.

Its his responcibilty not to smash an oppositions players face in with his elbow and if that doesent get weeks, well.. you are allowed to take players out with your elbow up then?

Not malicious like Camerons, but deserves 2

That was the most frustrating match to watch since the Essendon game pre-bye.

The story of the night: too many missed tackles.

Damn we lost composure big time in the 3rd quarter, we were lucky the Crows missed so many shots, easily could have been a 30+ deficit.

Cox was a downright defensive liability tonight, missed tackled, bad defensive positioning, losing his man is space, passive attack on the ball, ect. A shame Hodge wasn't available.

Barrett's defensive pressure was non-existent for large parts of that match, Adelaide were rebounding the ball far too easily in the 2nd & 3rd quarters, he will be lucky to retain his spot.

IMO if Tex copped a week so will Cutler, pity considering he was solid tonight.

Out: Cox, Cutler (Susp)
In: Hodge, Andrews

With a view to 2019 and beyond that was a really satisfying performance, not at our best and still took a really good team to the brink, nothing to complain about. I usually get really somber with close losses but I was pretty unemotional about tonight, we have bigger fish to fry in the years ahead.

The Walker mark and then followed up with Rayner was awesome, it felt like the glory days of the early 2000s for a few seconds.

I went with Walker, Robertson, Witherden, Gardner and McInerney.

I actually enjoyed the umpiring tonight, didnt think it was bad at all, compared to previous weeks. Nothing to complain about as far as im concerned.
I thought they were pretty bad, missed so many incidents both ways.

But they may be just me being used to modern football's high free kick count.

Robertson was excellent from the view at the ground. We just didn't make the most of our opportunities. Atmosphere was electric all night. High quality game, we are back as a competitive unit.

Unfortunately when Robertson does good work he often completely let's himself down when he is in possession

Game ruined by poor umpiring.
Sadly I feel that way about most games of AFL I watch.

In no way am I saying the umps cost us the game but the deliberate out of bounds Adelaide got in the last when numerous others were more obvious we’re not paid and then the Daniel Rich HTB in the last with no prior when one not 10 seconds later in identical fashion was not paid. Similarly, the ump called play on in that McInerney marking contest only for an ump over 50m away to pay it. Umpiring is just diabolical these days and it is mostly down to inconsistency in any game.

Back