Autopsy Round 2, 2023: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Whately this morning said when Lyon walked through the Saints supporters at the end they went mad and a huge chant of 'ROSS THE BOSS, ROSS THE BOSS' echoed around the ground.
Supporters want direction, we have drifted since Lyon left, we had no game plan, no game identity. Supporters aren't mugs, we can see the transformation, we see the buy in, we see the effort.
We look for messiahs at the Saints, usually a player, I think it will be RTB going forward.
We took it for granted, the relative success fron 1997 to 2011, but the vanilla vapidity of out list, our coaches, or direction for a decade or more has made certain we won't complain about defensive football again.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

we won't complain about defensive football again.
But he has added to the game plan i find it much more watchable, very small sample size though
Watching the Freo game I thought if King & Membrey were playing we kick 14+ goals and against the Dogs 16+.

Go watch Higgo when Gresh gets paid the free kick for our last goal

He puts up his hand thinking that he would get the free and when it goes to Gresh he shows immediate disappointment

Whilst he is obviously frustrated .... it was a pretty bad look ..... seemingly it is all about him and not about the team just having a cracking win over 50pts

Think RTB and him need to have a talk
This is one of the weirdest mountain out of a molehill ive ever read on this forum and I doubt Lyon would even consider it an issue in the slightest.

This is one of the weirdest mountain out of a molehill ive ever read on this forum and I doubt Lyon would even consider it an issue in the slightest.
have a look for the one about Greshams shot at goal its a doozy

Last edited:
Go watch Higgo when Gresh gets paid the free kick for our last goal

He puts up his hand thinking that he would get the free and when it goes to Gresh he shows immediate disappointment

Whilst he is obviously frustrated .... it was a pretty bad look ..... seemingly it is all about him and not about the team just having a cracking win over 50pts

Think RTB and him need to have a talk

Or he thought he had been infringed too & didn’t see the high contact on Gresh.

The way the umpiring has been, it wouldn’t have been that surprising if it had been a Dogs free kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He should have been happy that we got the free and kicked the goal .... instead he was clearly pissed he didn't get the free .... showed a bit of selfishness .... pretty clear

Could be just a molehill but that molehill needs to be ironed out

But he has added to the game plan i find it much more watchable, very small sample size though
Watching the Freo game I thought if King & Membrey were playing we kick 14+ goals and against the Dogs 16+.

It feels gladiatorial at the moment, the vibe was back at Marvel even against Freo, there weren't many fans but they were feral. Saints fans are ready to become obnoxious again. Richo and Ratts had low energy footy played by footballers who played like anaemic vegans on a long hike. Against the Dogs you could see the mad *ers louder and worse behaved than the Dogs fans. Matteas is like a fire cracker, he jumps around like a lotto winner after every goal, Owens is an energetic excitable kid and the running game feels energetic and fast paced.

I can't wait for the Dons game if it's a close one. We will shake the MCG.

Yes agreed, the make up of the list allows him to have a demanding running gameplan.
We were fit under Ratts, we have over 20 players who either runs under a 10 minute 3k time trial or just over.
The commentators in both games mentioned we would fatigue and both games we ran over both Freo and Western Bulldogs. 7 goals to zip in the fourth quarters so far.
With King there, Higgins and other smalls come into the game so much more.

Won't lie I potted you guys for taking Lyon back preseason as it felt like a boys club move, but the change in the way the team plays now is ridiculous. To be 2-0 and probably 3-0 next week with the outs you have is an insanely good effort.
Appreciate that, however, there were only probably 3 certainties out on the Weekend, King, Membrey and Coffield.
To be frank, the kids like Phillipou, Owens and Windhager are better than their counterparts who are injured.
The Steele injury hurts, we are getting a bit skinny in the mids.

Butler looked heaps better this week and got up and down the ground a bit more but Higgins has been really quiet this year. By round 2 last year he looked like a superstar in the making.
I don’t think it was a coincidence that RtB mentioned how impressed he is with Peris. And I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Butler put his head down and contributed to the tackle and turnover count.

No doubt our smalls are struggling with the patched up forward line we have. Bruce, Keath, Crozier and Jones all took 10 marks each again on the weekend, which is a continuation of what we saw in round one against Fremantle.

i have noticed a few times Higgins getting to the front of the ball drop ready for the crumb only to have it marked by an opponent.

I suspect though that regardless of his production if he is not playing the role asked of him he will get found out by the coaching staff and dropped.

Hopefully they can give him a bigger slice in the rebound action.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give that camera man a raise. Ball never got above the fence line.

Note: Or indeed camera woman. Pardon my bigotry.

Note note: Or even Camerathem.
I think we should marvel in the fact that somehow someone working for channel 7 got this shot right.

Miracles can happen

Have to say I’m loving this unpredictable forward line. Obviously Max and Membrey are automatic ins but I wouldn’t be changing too much or bringing in too many talls once everyone is back. Owens and Phillipou is an exciting HF combo with massive upside so I wouldn’t be messing with that.

Now I don’t want to be Debbie downer but we’ve underplayed pretty much every single injury we’ve had so far so I wouldn’t be surprised if Steele is out for a little bit longer than what we’ve said. It hurts but Seb coming back helps and we’ll keep finding out about Clark. Surely Windhager will come in as well.

Listening to Ross on 360 tonight there’s just no way that he isn’t in this for the long haul. The way he spoke about walking or driving around the city and seeing the MCG or Marvel and how the head coach of an AFL team is such a privileged position, those wanting or hoping for a succession plan hopefully won’t be holding their breath.

Whately this morning said when Lyon walked through the Saints supporters at the end they went mad and a huge chant of 'ROSS THE BOSS, ROSS THE BOSS' echoed around the ground.
Supporters want direction, we have drifted since Lyon left, we had no game plan, no game identity. Supporters aren't mugs, we can see the transformation, we see the buy in, we see the effort.
We look for messiahs at the Saints, usually a player, I think it will be RTB going forward.
We took it for granted, the relative success fron 1997 to 2011, but the vanilla vapidity of out list, our coaches, or direction for a decade or more has made certain we won't complain about defensive football again.

Agree with all this- wonder what our membership bump must have been over the last fortnight!

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have to say I’m loving this unpredictable forward line. Obviously Max and Membrey are automatic ins but I wouldn’t be changing too much or bringing in too many talls once everyone is back. Owens and Phillipou is an exciting HF combo with massive upside so I wouldn’t be messing with that.

Now I don’t want to be Debbie downer but we’ve underplayed pretty much every single injury we’ve had so far so I wouldn’t be surprised if Steele is out for a little bit longer than what we’ve said. It hurts but Seb coming back helps and we’ll keep finding out about Clark. Surely Windhager will come in as well.

Listening to Ross on 360 tonight there’s just no way that he isn’t in this for the long haul. The way he spoke about walking or driving around the city and seeing the MCG or Marvel and how the head coach of an AFL team is such a privileged position, those wanting or hoping for a succession plan hopefully won’t be holding their breath.
RTB was playing down Steele’s injury, saying it broke in an okay spot where they can slot in a metal plate, and should be a quick recovery.

Still bemuses me how a man who never fully completes a sentence before meandering into the next thought can actually articulate a game plan to his players.

I don’t understand half of what he’s saying, but I genuinely love the guy.

Still bemuses me how a man who never fully completes a sentence before meandering into the next thought can actually articulate a game plan to his players.

Going from one topic to the next is like he can’t wait for the song to finish so skips to the next track. I always get what he’s saying though.

Like he is bored with his on cliche's and sayings and goes on to his next stream of conciousness.

Going from one topic to the next is like he can’t wait for the song to finish so skips to the next track. I always get what he’s saying though.
Ross is an autistic, polymath, football savant. Just being in the room with him makes you a better person, and a better player.

Our ex coaches made you question whether you left the iron on and fret over your super-fund choice.

Ross is an autistic, polymath, football savant. Just being in the room with him makes you a better person, and a better player.

Our ex coaches made you question whether you left the iron on and fret over your super-fund choice.

When he's done he should grow his hair and do ayahuasca tours. The campaigner sounds profound when he's talking about corn chips.

Meanwhile Ross is out here self managing his super and delegating others to get coffees for him.

The man knows what he’s about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back