Autopsy Round 2, 2023: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I missed the game live unfortunately, but kept an eye on the scores. To be honest I was just constantly amazed. The first 3 goals is usually to the other mob, not us. What a change.

I have caught up with replays and just so much to like. Such a pity about Jack Steele. But again, opportunity for someone. Probably Windy and Bytel the sub? I thought it interesting Peris was an Emergency. A late injection of pace sometime in the future maybe.

The young guys just terrific but the recycled guys really impressed me. Wood, Stocker, Cordy particularly.

Would love to give the Bombers a touch up, but realise we are not at full strength. You never know though. Bombers have had the wood on us, but are patchy. Fingers crossed.

Ross is an autistic, polymath, football savant. Just being in the room with him makes you a better person, and a better player.

Our ex coaches made you question whether you left the iron on and fret over your super-fund choice.
Very good. Full on laugh over that one.

One thing I’ve noticed that may/may not be game plan related is how much we’re doing the 1% era. The shepparding is noticeably better as is the blocking for the third men and our off the ball physicality just seems to have gone up.
I've been really enjoying how smart are we are with our positioning as well.

For example, so many times in our Rattcho years when there was any contest, players around usually wouldn't react quick enough to get the ball on our terms.

Now I notice whenever a ball is spilled in a contest, we've always got someone at the back ready to mop it up and usually move it on.

Big difference

1038609.jpg

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 25: Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera of the Saints and Marcus Windhager of the Saints celebrate during the 2023 AFL Round 02 match between the Western Bulldogs and the St Kilda Saints at Marvel Stadium on March 25, 2023 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos)

1038610.jpg

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 25: Anthony Caminiti and Mattaes Phillipou of the Saints celebrate during the 2023 AFL Round 02 match between the Western Bulldogs and the St Kilda Saints at Marvel Stadium on March 25, 2023 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos)

Whately this morning said when Lyon walked through the Saints supporters at the end they went mad and a huge chant of 'ROSS THE BOSS, ROSS THE BOSS' echoed around the ground.
Supporters want direction, we have drifted since Lyon left, we had no game plan, no game identity. Supporters aren't mugs, we can see the transformation, we see the buy in, we see the effort.
We look for messiahs at the Saints, usually a player, I think it will be RTB going forward.
We took it for granted, the relative success fron 1997 to 2011, but the vanilla vapidity of out list, our coaches, or direction for a decade or more has made certain we won't complain about defensive football again.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Take it from a Lierpool supporter who witnessed the transformation to the idolatry of players to the idolatry of Jurgen Klopp, its a great way to be.

Relying on all players to have a good day every day is a pretty flawed model. It is much better to get a man with a plan who knows how to get the best out of a group.

Doesn't guarantee success, but players become interchangeable - great for dealing with injuries, as we're finding out - and with confidence in their system, they can just do their job and find ways to give extra without ever giving less.

Its most likely someone has spoken about it on here but from reports it appears the racial abuse came from our cheer squad which is just disgusting and i hope someone puts the person in, no need for that sh1t anywhere

1038609.jpg

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 25: Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera of the Saints and Marcus Windhager of the Saints celebrate during the 2023 AFL Round 02 match between the Western Bulldogs and the St Kilda Saints at Marvel Stadium on March 25, 2023 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos)

1038610.jpg

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 25: Anthony Caminiti and Mattaes Phillipou of the Saints celebrate during the 2023 AFL Round 02 match between the Western Bulldogs and the St Kilda Saints at Marvel Stadium on March 25, 2023 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos)

Anyone else getting 2003 vibes from this crew? Probably going to be an inconsistent side at times this year but there's some kids not only showing promise but playing a big role in us winning.

Anyone else getting 2003 vibes from this crew? Probably going to be an inconsistent side at times this year but there's some kids not only showing promise but playing a big role in us winning.
I think this is also a bit of a reality check for us fans.

Nas, Mitch, Windy, Pou, Hammer….

I don’t believe any of them grew up Saints supporters. Yet you can see them all bonding and loving life in each others company. And hopefully looking to build a legacy that includes our second flag.

We love to think kids will come to St Kilda after their contracts expire based on their love of our club whilst they were growing up.

But most, if not all of those kids are going through similar bonding experiences at the clubs they’ve been drafted to.

Like I said; bit of a reality check.

I think this is also a bit of a reality check for us fans.

Nas, Mitch, Windy, Pou, Hammer….

I don’t believe any of them grew up Saints supporters. Yet you can see them all bonding and loving life in each others company. And hopefully looking to build a legacy that includes our second flag.

We love to think kids will come to St Kilda after their contracts expire based on their love of our club whilst they were growing up.

But most, if not all of those kids are going through similar bonding experiences at the clubs they’ve been drafted to.

Like I said; bit of a reality check.
I think Owens was Hawks, Pou unsure but you'd think a SA team or possibly Dogs, Nas was port but had a soft spot for the Saints due to Terry playing for them, Windhager no idea, Hammer you'd have to assume Carlton based on his last name!

We've certainly brought in some Saints fans in recent years. Jones, Higgins, King and Stocker all Saints fans as kids. I think it's a smart move getting saints fans. If we can't have a geographical advantage like Geelong or Interstate clubs then a childhood love of the club is the next best thing.

EDIT: Thinking of players from other teams that were Saints fans. Pretty sure Max Holmes (Contracted to 2024) at Geelong was a Saints fan, as was Henry Hustwaite (Hawks) I think?

Last edited:
We get rid of Brendon Lade and we look a million bucks, Dogs get Brendon Lade and look like dog sh!t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hill was a victim of Ratts' shambolic game plan imo.
Strongly agree with this and I always thought this about Brad.

Really tough for him to go from being coached by Clarko and Ross his whole career to then have to deal with the chaos that was our gameplan under Ratts.

No wonder he just couldn’t work out how to have an influence in our games. Everything that came natural to him (where to run etc.) just wasn’t working.

It’s like night and day watching him now. He’s fitting into the team like a hand in a glove.

He’s turning out the performances we signed him up for. It’s a couple of years later than we’d have liked but you can’t blame the bloke for not knowing how to fit into a club playing like we were.

Last edited:
Even with Essingdung and Carldung in there?

View attachment 1642273

Blues have mad monday about finally getting in, s**t the bed immediately and GTFO.
Bombers on prozac, get to game day and crash at half time, then emulate that gif.
Easy 2 in finals if we start now, issue will be Pies and Swans as Dees fall over themselves, Tigers have no fluency and get pipped, North are on a sugar rush and hit the wall, so we really just need Pies and Swans to s**t the bed and we can romp it in just by stifling movement and guys that kick from 60.

We get rid of Brendon Lade and we look a million bucks, Dogs get Brendon Lade and look like dog sh!t.
I thought Lade went to Essendon?

EDIT: I stand corrected, Dogs it is. It all makes sense now

Last edited:
Its most likely someone has spoken about it on here but from reports it appears the racial abuse came from our cheer squad which is just disgusting and i hope someone puts the person in, no need for that sh1t anywhere
Is that right? That is a crying shame, get that relic out of the CS at once and slap a ban on them.

Got to wash that dirty echo from the past out of our mentalities ASAP, no more excuses.

Last edited:
Strongly agree with this and I always thought this about Brad.

Really tough for him to go from being coached by Clarko and Ross his whole career to then have to deal with the chaos that was our gameplan under Ratts.

No wonder he just couldn’t work out how to have an influence in our games. Everything that came natural to him (where to run etc.) just wasn’t working.

It’s like night and day watching him now. He’s fitting into the team like a hand in a glove.

He’s turning out the performances we signed him up for. He’s it’s a couple of years later than we’d have liked but you can’t blame the bloke for not knowing how to fit into a club playing like we were.
More broadly the players are playing so much better as a collective. One thing that really stood out and indicated the coaching under Ratts wasn’t getting through to the players was the lack of consistent performance over four quarters and from game to game. The group would play top 4 level footy, as evidenced by performances against the Cats, Freo away, etc, only to fall away completely the next week like we did against the Bombers last year. Imagine not getting up for Spuds game. Just wow. That was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

What we get from the players under RTB is consistent effort across a game and from week to week. This shows that Ross’s message is getting across and the team is buying in, not choosing when to give effort, because effort is a non negotiable they give 100% of the time; It’s expected. Brad Hill is the perfect example.

One things for sure the players will give it their all this weekend. We know what we’re gonna get, and I like it.

More broadly the players are playing so much better as a collective. One thing that really stood out and indicated the coaching under Ratts wasn’t getting through to the players was the lack of consistent performance over four quarters and from game to game. The group would play top 4 level footy, as evidenced by performances against the Cats, Freo away, etc, only to fall away completely the next week like we did against the Bombers last year. Imagine not getting up for Spuds game. Just wow. That was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

What we get from the players under RTB is consistent effort across a game and from week to week. This shows that Ross’s message is getting across and the team is buying in, not choosing when to give effort, because effort is a non negotiable they give 100% of the time; It’s expected. Brad Hill is the perfect example.

One things for sure the players will give it their all this weekend. We know what we’re gonna get, and I like it.

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill on these kind of comments .. I love Ross and was very happy we got him back and you can see how much more better drilled we are but let’s not forget we were 8-3 last year .. we’ve been here before where we think we’ve turned a corner .. we are only 2 games in and Impossible to know if that flakey form we’ve become used to is still a thing or not

Last year and 2017 we were in the 8 late in the season against a poor Essendon side and lost and didn’t make it … let’s just see and let this one play out

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill on these kind of comments .. I love Ross and was very happy we got him back and you can see how much more better drilled we are but let’s not forget we were 8-3 last year .. we’ve been here before where we think we’ve turned a corner .. we are only 2 games in and Impossible to know if that flakey form we’ve become used to is still a thing or not

Last year and 2017 we were in the 8 late in the season against a poor Essendon side and lost and didn’t make it … let’s just see and let this one play out
I understand the cautious optimism. I just want to highlight that I’m not talking about wins and losses but rather effort. We may not win as many games as last year or across the first half of the season, but that’s not my point. My point is under Ratts our effort appeared inconsistent, which I put squarely on the coach. Our current squad with far more injuries than this time last year gives a far more honest account of themselves which may not necessarily translate into wins but does however reflect RTB’s positive impact on the group. And yes I do acknowledge the small sample size. But this is RTB 101 over 200 games or whatever it is that he’s coached.

I know I was giving people the shits being negative last year but even when we were winning I was pointing out issues with how we played. Ratts' sides relied on a group of players having a brilliant game. If King and Higgings scored above the AFL percentage with their set shots or a few mids had better than their average games we knocked sides off. But I was pointing out the difference between us and the Swans a lot. Every Swans player moved in to support a team mate, they block, isolate and group run to offer options. It's work rate over brilliance and it can overcome a lot of deficiencies. We have that this year.

I don't think we can sustain the top 4 form without getting some reinforcements back but we are playing with a different mind set at the moment. Carlton and Collingwood look like a huge ask at the moment but I think we have a better than 50/50 chance against the Dons and Suns.

If this is true, then the culprit should be easily identified and banned.

You'd think so but I think you can get into the cheer squad area with a ticket these days. If they've bought it at a ticket window it's a bit harder. Our actual cheer squad is pretty sparse these days. If the person was affiliated they would be pretty easily found. The CS looks like a pretty diverse group too. Don't think it would go down too well if you started shouting racist s**t.

You'd think so but I think you can get into the cheer squad area with a ticket these days. If they've bought it at a ticket window it's a bit harder. Our actual cheer squad is pretty sparse these days. If the person was affiliated they would be pretty easily found. The CS looks like a pretty diverse group too. Don't think it would go down too well if you started shouting racist s**t.
Yes, it wouldn't go down well at all. You would think that if it was loud enough for a player to hear it, then plenty of supporters would have heard it too.
Has it been confirmed that it was after the game?

I think Owens was Hawks, Pou unsure but you'd think a SA team or possibly Dogs, Nas was port but had a soft spot for the Saints due to Terry playing for them, Windhager no idea, Hammer you'd have to assume Carlton based on his last name!

We've certainly brought in some Saints fans in recent years. Jones, Higgins, King and Stocker all Saints fans as kids. I think it's a smart move getting saints fans. If we can't have a geographical advantage like Geelong or Interstate clubs then a childhood love of the club is the next best thing.

EDIT: Thinking of players from other teams that were Saints fans. Pretty sure Max Holmes (Contracted to 2024) at Geelong was a Saints fan, as was Henry Hustwaite (Hawks) I think?
Windy was Hawthorn.
Owens likely North based on his old man.
Phillipou was Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back