Autopsy Round 2, 2024: St.Kilda v Collingwood *SPUD'S GAME* *ROSS 200TH* *BYRNES 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

He's clean with his hands and neat with his kicking, he looks like he could play wing, true mid, froward HBF anywhere and we'd have a gun. He looks a set and forget top level AFL player. I can't believe how much our recruiting luck has turned. Phillipou has the personality and drive to become a star. Darcy has the work ethic and quiet determination of a young Robert Harvey.
Maybe not luck, just the way things fall sometimes. Naz, Pou and Darcy were circumstance, FS academy picks etc take the best off the board and our due diligence has identified who we wanted. All three we higher on our list than where we took them.
Maybe we keep away from the top of the draft

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought he got a couple of dubious ones and they let a few go for collingwood (there was a front on contact they didn’t get maybe in the second quarter which was pretty bad).

Having said that you’re right, the pies were scragging on the mark and in the contest a lot and there was probably a few 50s not paid that should have been.

The higgo one really wasn’t the robbery some are claiming. I think the ball was out but only JUST it wasn’t like he kicked it from the third row. BT and Daisy banging on like it was the Adelaide robbery can * right off, we were still 2 goals up when he kicked it anyway.
Bet they didn’t say s**t when Cameron kicked that one last year from over the fence…

Maybe not luck, just the way things fall sometimes. Naz, Pou and Darcy were circumstance, FS academy picks etc take the best off the board and our due diligence has identified who we wanted. All three we higher on our list than where we took them.
Maybe we keep away from the top of the draft

Toce is looking like a genius now. Wish we'd split the role or something.

I haven't seen a replay yet with commentary so I'll check it out. The Pies play on the edge under Fly. They crimp every mark and push every rule to the limit. Last night that line kept getting pushed past and they looked undisciplined.
I was messaging a nuetral mate who said he didn’t think the umps were giving us anything that wasn’t there so perhaps I was just noticing the volume of frees opposed to any favourable umpiring but I certainly thought we got the rub last night.

I’ll watch the replay today or tomorrow with some lotion and tissues and report back

Doubt it. Listen to Ross’ presser and see what he said about him. It was interesting.

Actually listen to the presser, just because. He’s very good, is RTB.
Anyone who doubts what RTB is trying to to do at the Saints listen to that press conference.

His understanding of the game is second to none!

And what he had to say to Bonner about not going into his shell and persisting is just outstanding coaching!

We will have ups and downs but this excellent coaching group is 100% committed to developing our young elite talent and wants to recruit more.

Most exciting & promising since the early 2000’s!

I'm no geologist, but my elite MS Paint skills say the ball was in:

View attachment 1935284
There is actually some great online analysis done (mainly for soccer) about the optical illusions that occur with camera angles and the shape of the ball etc. There was a famous one in the World Cup in 2022, and there have been a couple in the EPL this year. It may well have been just out, but it's not clear cut that the entire ball is completely over the line - as fun as it is to think he kicked it from Fed Square.

I was messaging a nuetral mate who said he didn’t think the umps were giving us anything that wasn’t there

Just watched the replay and we were kissed. Got a lot of soft and 50/50 decisions.

• We have picked up Henry at precisely the right time in his career.
  • Great effort by the team but more exciting is there looks to be plenty of improvement available. Once Sincs, NAS, Hill, Bonner, Wilson, Henry and Stocker work each other out - that is going to be some serious running power and kicking skills.
  • Going to have to accept Marshall for what he is. He's not a tap ruckman but he is our most important player who gives us real grunt around the ground.
  • Thought Bonner played OK. Couple of costly mistakes but really one was a great smother. The other he was just too late to see the Pies player double back, he went the aggressive inside kick and it didn't come off.
  • Liked Kings game, think he should be encouraged to get up the ground more, gets him in the game and he adds a lot when we play down the line.
  • Liked seeing Zac Jones on the ground. He is a far better handballer than he is a kick and he really set up a few plays last night with his handball.
  • Thought Wilson played a very good 12 disposal game. He gets to lots of contests and makes a lot of 2 on 1s.
  • Pou was quiet. Not sure his best fit in this team at the moment.
I reckon we are going to take a few teams apart at Marvel this year. Got some serious leg power in the group.

I thought he got a couple of dubious ones and they let a few go for collingwood (there was a front on contact they didn’t get maybe in the second quarter which was pretty bad).

Having said that you’re right, the pies were scragging on the mark and in the contest a lot and there was probably a few 50s not paid that should have been.

The higgo one really wasn’t the robbery some are claiming. I think the ball was out but only JUST it wasn’t like he kicked it from the third row. BT and Daisy banging on like it was the Adelaide robbery can * right off, we were still 2 goals up when he kicked it anyway.
Also the first goal of the game from Jamie Elliot the ball hit the ground as he marked it not to much said about that I call it Evan

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just watched the replay and we were kissed. Got a lot of soft and 50/50 decisions.

• We have picked up Henry at precisely the right time in his career.
  • Great effort by the team but more exciting is there looks to be plenty of improvement available. Once Sincs, NAS, Hill, Bonner, Wilson, Henry and Stocker work each other out - that is going to be some serious running power and kicking skills.
  • Going to have to accept Marshall for what he is. He's not a tap ruckman but he is our most important player who gives us real grunt around the ground.
  • Thought Bonner played OK. Couple of costly mistakes but really one was a great smother. The other he was just too late to see the Pies player double back, he went the aggressive inside kick and it didn't come off.
  • Liked Kings game, think he should be encouraged to get up the ground more, gets him in the game and he adds a lot when we play down the line.
  • Liked seeing Zac Jones on the ground. He is a far better handballer than he is a kick and he really set up a few plays last night with his handball.
  • Thought Wilson played a very good 12 disposal game. He gets to lots of contests and makes a lot of 2 on 1s.
  • Pou was quiet. Not sure his best fit in this team at the moment.
I reckon we are going to take a few teams apart at Marvel this year. Got some serious leg power in the group.
Now that the midfield is ticking with Windy in there, he's shown that we don't need to win hitouts to win the clearances. Can't wait to see what the midfield will look like once we get a fully fit Paddy Dow in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Windhager showing that he can do that is really important. At 20, he's now looking totally ready for a full time midfield role. Would imagine there must have been a burning desire to break out after the hype around NWM and Owens over the past 12 months. Put himself right up in the discussion with that game. The stats were clearly great but he had real influence. He has genuine acceleration and can shake a tackle really well.

Anyone who doubts what RTB is trying to to do at the Saints listen to that press conference.

His understanding of the game is second to none!

And what he had to say to Bonner about not going into his shell and persisting is just outstanding coaching!

We will have ups and downs but this excellent coaching group is 100% committed to developing our young elite talent and wants to recruit more.

Most exciting & promising since the early 2000’s!
In the presser, he said something like he gives his players confidence to fail.

He backs that up by basically saying Boner didn't go into his shell after two bad fails.

The guy can coach.

More than a year down the track, and I still have no idea why Carlton delisted Stocker.

I know he doesn’t get heaps of it, and when he does he’s pretty conservative when choosing an option, but he’s strong, clean, cool under pressure and tough as they come.

Carlton delisting him makes absolutely no sense, but boy I’m glad they did.

Wow - just Wow Saints.

A touch dusty this morning while recovering from a few Pinot Noirs while watching the game.

Heres my take aways.

• Spuds Game, probably the most important marquee game on the calendar and the club handled it with so much dignity. I thought the choice of Pete Murray to sing Better Days was absolutely spot on
  • Windhager, all my worries about a midfield bull have now been resolved.
  • Mitch Owens as a resting ruckman is a master stroke.
  • Tactical by RTB, the days of the lockdown strategy in the second half by Richo/Ratten are over. RTB was attacking until the last minute
  • Run by Wilson, Henry, Hill and co makes us such a hard to deal with
Well done St Kilda, very proud this morning

Windhager showing that he can do that is really important. At 20, he's now looking totally ready for a full time midfield role. Would imagine there must have been a burning desire to break out after the hype around NWM and Owens over the past 12 months. Put himself right up in the discussion with that game. The stats were clearly great but he had real influence. He has genuine acceleration and can shake a tackle really well.

Goes hard too, he made Daicos look pretty soft a few times with his attack on the ball.

It was a thing of beauty and I bet the coaches love him for it.

It's a great day to be a Saints supporter.

A few thoughts...

Roma is Roma. He's our own special kind of Ruckman, but what he gives to us is invaluable.

Nas, Owens and Windy will be universally accepted as stars of the comp by year's end.

Higgins lol. He's a trip. Go Jack.

Steele is getting better.

I was wrong about Ryan Byrnes. Didn't think he was AFL standard. Very happy to be wrong. I tip my hat to you Ronnie.

I never want to see Crouch, Steele, Ross as our starting midfield again.

Pou was quiet but his time will come.

Henry... love him

One area we need to improve is sticking tackles.

Lyon's presser was perfection.

Hope Mason is ok

Remove this Banner Ad

Back