Game Day Round 21 Fremantle V Richmond (Patersons Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of you are overreacting about the last 10 minutes imo.

Percentage is virtually irrelevant to us now. If Carlton win their last two we don't have a hope of matching their % given their eagles-esque flat track bully nature when they're up and running. They'll massacre GC next week.

Our eyes should be firmly on next week's game. It was bloody hot out there today and being as fresh as possible for North >>>>> a couple of extra goals today.

If we're going to be mad about anything in that respect it should be our inaccuracy earlier in the game, not that we took our foot off the pedal late.

The Kepler chant emanating from the 3 tier stand is possibly my best Freo moment I've been a part of.

But by the same token I was pretty disappointed in our supporters with the cheer that went up it was announced Dawson had been subbed off.

It's a strange old world when one guy can become a cult hero for looking uncoordinated and continually f**king up, while another becomes a pariah.

But by the same token I was pretty disappointed in our supporters with the cheer that went up it was announced Dawson had been subbed off.

It's a strange old world when one guy can become a cult hero for looking uncoordinated and continually f**king up, while another becomes a pariah.

I knew it was coming which was sad, our crowd is so predictable. The vehemence displayed when we switch or go backwards is also pathetic, I think someone like Reg Perrin would have participated in both.

The Keplar chant was fun but it still stems from mockery and irony.

Yes we will. The effort was good, nearly perfect. Conversion was poor.

OK, I agree with you. My use of the word "effort" was perhaps a poor choice, I blame the 4.30am time that the game finished here. I meant the overall performance and execution. We won't beat North playing like that.

Anyway, back to the % argument. I still think it is valid to say we missed an opportunity which could cost us. I'm not talking about the last few minutes, I mean the whole game in general. Our domination should have given us a massive victory.

I have put a table in below to show that if we had done that, then % could still have been relevant. Obviously this is just one scenario and there is much speculation ... but you can fiddle with numbers and could have had us approaching Carlton's % with somewhat realistic results. Anyway, what's done is done.
Code:
                                F      A      %
FREO  120  vs RICH    55    1749    1555    112.48
FREO    75  vs NORTH  100    1824    1655    110.21
FREO  130  vs MELB    40    1954    1695    115.28

F        A      %
CARL  156  vs ESS  60    1902    1721    110.52
CARL  130  vs GC    60    2032    1781    114.09
CARL  110  vs STK  80    2142    1861    115.10

I wonder if our team did not know the Carlton result? Perhaps as preparation and focus for Richmond, we didn't even worry about what was going on at the MCG. Nobody could have predicted that result.

I remember walking past a pub in Subi before the game and seeing that Carlton were belting the Dons, they would definitely have known IMO.

Worrying about it wouldn't have helped though, we simply shot ourselves in the foot through poor conversion and a lapse late in the final quarter.

Importantly we controlled the game from start to finish, if we apply ourselves similarly next week I'm confident we can win.

Pity we didn´t get at least 20 more points in the margin, we would of been above Carlton in percentage. As it is, if it comes down to percentage, which it may well do, we will struggle to top Carlton.

Very, very even effort today I thought. How great is that? Very rare that we have been so even.

I thought Mundy was BOG for us. Back to near his best. Ballas was very good also.

Walters was quiet but he had a shadow the whole game, probably a result of his good form in the last few weeks which is now starting to attract the attention of opposition defensive coaches. The great thing was he still managed to impact the scoreboard with a goal and a few assists.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but before the players went into the race at then end of the game they all huddled around and all talked to someone I think it was McPhee then clapped him into the rooms, I was extremely confused. Can anyone enlighten me. (I was sitting on the City End so my vision wasn't very clear)
I'm now expecting McPhee to announce his retirement this week, that will strengthen a push for Godard over Cloke...

Who said that Carlton will beat St Kilda easily?
Dude, really? Did you not see Carlton yesterday?

They are coming right at the business end of the season with their stars returning/hitting peak form. St Kilda have no shot at the eight and have less to play over, I'm sure they'll get over them. Our only way into the finals is a win over NM, and they looked damn good last night.

Not only polish but certainly a key marking forward and reliable goal kicking HF and I don't see either of those on your list. Not enough firepower at present to go the next step.

Your right, there is no way that we will ever be able to beat the Eagles whilst we have our current list of players.

Your right, there is no way that we will ever be able to beat the Eagles whilst we have our current list of players.

There is more to winning a premiership than beating us and at the moment Freo just doesn't have the players to achieve that, particularly up forward.

There is more to winning a premiership than beating us and at the moment Freo just doesn't have the players to achieve that, particularly up forward.

Most teams will have a weakness somewhere. WC have a definite one in the midfield, but still think both clubs have a chance at a flag if the issues are addressed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of you are overreacting about the last 10 minutes imo.

Percentage is virtually irrelevant to us now. If Carlton win their last two we don't have a hope of matching their % given their eagles-esque flat track bully nature when they're up and running. They'll massacre GC next week.

Our eyes should be firmly on next week's game. It was bloody hot out there today and being as fresh as possible for North >>>>> a couple of extra goals today.

If we're going to be mad about anything in that respect it should be our inaccuracy earlier in the game, not that we took our foot off the pedal late.

I would have liked us to win yesterday by 40-50. There'd still be some sort of a chance of us beating Melbourne at home as comfortably as Carlton beating Gold Coast at Metricon. I think GC will put up more effort than Essendon did. If we can beat WC by 11 goals at Subi, no reason why we couldn't beat the Dees by that or more.

Did anyone laugh historically with that McGuane miss? My girlfriend ran in to see what was so funny.

I'm making a quick clip of it on youtube for all those that missed it...
Nope, I breathed a massive sigh of relief.

Sure it was towards the end of the game but he shouldn't have been allowed the space to get the clear drop. This happened a few times during the game where Richmond got the drop on us and just failed to capitalise on us being caught behind the ball. We were very lucky on most occasions.

Probably the only thing funnier than that miss was the little league kid who was jogging straight towards a security guard for 30 metres on the way off the ground only to somehow forget he was standing there and run straight into him.

Funniest home video special.

In similar news, Geelong are considering whether they play Taylor Hunt or Josh Hunt on the weekend.

I knew it was coming which was sad, our crowd is so predictable. The vehemence displayed when we switch or go backwards is also pathetic, I think someone like Reg Perrin would have participated in both.

The Keplar chant was fun but it still stems from mockery and irony.

I gotta admit, when we do it like we did at the end and Barlow kicked it on the full and they got a goal out of it - that did annoy me. But when we do it in the game, I know they are just looking for the best option. The crowd can be pretty dumb when they start booing as soon as we do it. Puts the players under even more pressure to just kick it and most of the time will result in a turnover. As much as Dawson annoys me and how bad Bradley played, wouldn't go to the extreme to boo them or cheer if they come off. Don't think Dawson did much wrong either?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back