Toast Round 22 = Collingwood 109-101 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron's mark, in my opinion was totally fine. It was so close that you would have to pay benefit of the doubt if it were an option.

The handball receive however, wowee... that was something else!
Only trouble with that AFL pic is that he hasn’t marked it yet. You can see space between his arm and the ball. By the time he does, the balls well over the line.

Last edited:
Just watched it again for my own interest and am even more sure of it myself that it was directly above the boundary line. I have no problem with that call.
Maybe you should listen to the Cats supporter from earlier who was sitting right where it happened who said it was very clearly out.

You’re pretty much the only person I’ve seen, pies supporter or not, who thinks that was in.

Pendles was looking like he was ready for retirement 1 and half quarters in. Looked slow, weak in the contest plus unusually fumbly and poor disposal.
But he tturned it around with the team and led the pressure back on Geelong f4om there with what overall ended up an OK game from him.

The end is definitely closer then the beggining and its starting to become more noticeable. Not sure if a role change is needed from the midfield FT to part time and maybe HB.
I think Pendles is mid only. We'd be taking out dash, closing speed and aerial ability from defence if he moved to half back.

Collingwood have bounced back after an initial struggle to record a victory over reigning premiers Geelong by 8 points. The opening term saw the Cats start strongly with Jeremy Cameron booting 3 goals in the first quarter to set up Geelong's lead of 16 points at the first change. The second quarter was when Collingwood's response started to ignite with Brody Mihocek commencing the fightback with with 2 goals in two minutes, which saw the Magpies draw to within 1 point of Geelong's lead at half time. The third term was when the Magpies got going, where they booted 4 goals in 12 minutes, and 6 for the quarter to take a lead of 24 points at three quarter time. The final quarter saw the Cats draw to within two goals, before the Pies withstood the early charge to boot the next three goals to close out the game, despite Geelong's valiant effort to come from behind and steal a victory, where the Woods held on by 8 points.

Collingwood won the statistical categories from facets that included disposals by +29 (378 - 349), kicks were won by +16 (231 - 215), +13 for handballs (147 - 134), while uncontested possessions had a margin of +41 (242 - 201), while intercept possessions had an advantage of +12 (64 - 52), and turnovers were -11 (52 - 63). Tackles went in favour of the Magpies by +10 (76 - 66), with Tackles Inside 50 won by +8 (12 - 4). Marks had a differential of +20 (111 - 91), +23 for uncontested marks (105 - 82), intercept marks had a gap of +12 (64 - 52), Marks Inside 50 were won by +3 (18 - 15). Geelong won their categories from key indicators such as contested possessions by +7 (137 - 130), hit-outs were up by +1 (47 - 46), +8 for clearances (44 - 36), while centre clearances were claimed by +4 (15 - 11), and stoppage clearances had a differential of +4 (29 - 25). The other facets Geelong won were contested marks by +3 (9 - 6) and Inside 50s by +6 (51 - 45).

Josh Daicos (38 disposals @ 82%, 564 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 29 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 19 kicks, 19 handballs, 7 marks, 4 tackles, 8 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) had a sublime game on the wing in which he played his best game for the club to date. Daicos' ball use after taking a mark was exceptional, and was prepared to follow up each handpass or kick by running forward for two or three efforts at a time to receive more handpasses or take marks from each kick that came his way. More importantly, Daicos produced significant territory and scoreboard creativity without kicking any goals, but did everything in his power to create those opportunities for his teammates to kick goals.

Patrick Lipinski (25 disposals @ 64%, 385 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 13 handballs, 4 marks, 8 tackles, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) spent a bit of time up forward, before having significant stints in Collingwood's midfield to win clearances and set up goals at every opportunity.

Tom Mitchell (24 disposals @ 67%, 174 metres gained, 16 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 16 handballs, 2 marks, 8 tackles, 2 goal assists, 7 score involvements, 5 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 3 Inside 50s) got his hands dirty by winning the contested ball beneath the packs and feed out handpasses to teammates who could break free from clearances, while Mitchell laid several tackles to thwart Geelong's exits.

Scott Pendlebury (21 disposals @ 81%, 224 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 8 handballs, 4 marks, 7 tackles, 7 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 1 goal) displayed accurate and effective ball use, got involved in scoring chains and kicked a nice goal in the second term that got the team going after being outplayed in the early stages of the game.

Jordan De Goey (20 disposals @ 65%, 281 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 10 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal assist, 8 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 3 Inside 50s) had a solid night out without starring. De Goey contributed to the team's aggressive ball movement which led to scores, while De Goey tackled with effort and cleared the ball when he could under significant pressure.

Brayden Maynard (26 disposals @ 73%, 583 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 8 handballs, 7 marks, 4 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) accumulated prolific numbers in defence, and looked to kick long to advantage or contests at all times. Maynard was again bold in his decisions to roll up the ground to become an aggressive ball user, while Maynard's steady hands to complete marks generated rebounds.

Jack Crisp (23 disposals @ 65%, 400 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 5 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 3 Rebound 50s) provided run and carry from the back half to generate and create scoring opportunities, despite his ball use being poor at times throughout the evening.

Isaac Quaynor (22 disposals @ 77%, 427 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 9 handballs, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements & 3 Rebound 50s) produced dare from the back pocket and maintained possession effectively under pressure, while Quaynor's marking game was in good order.

John Noble (17 disposals @ 65%, 412 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 marks, 4 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) conjured territory with each possession, but was untidy on occasions with his ball use. Noble made himself a marking outlet at all times before kicking the ball out of defence.

Oleg Markov (16 disposals @ 88%, 211 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 6 score involvements & 3 Rebound 50s) displayed poise with his ball use, and held his marks when they came his way.

Billy Frampton (13 disposals @ 77%, 235 metres gained, 2 hit-outs, 13 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 3 handballs, 7 marks, 3 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50s) covered Darcy Moore's absence with aplomb to reduce Jeremy Cameron's impact for the remaining three quarters, after Moore was subbed out of the game with a hamstring injury. Frampton's foot skills were reasonable, while his intercept marking was good to watch.

Bobby Hill (16 disposals @ 81%, 289 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements, 7 Inside 50s & 1 goal) played as a high half-forward that pushed up to the wing before running back towards goal with great effect. Hill gave his fellow forwards supply with his work further up the ground, before capping off his game with an excellent running goal outside 50 in the third term which gave his team a real lift and great energy.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (15 disposals @ 93%, 222 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 6 handballs, 6 marks, 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements & 3 Inside 50s) had lengthy periods on the wing with stints up forward, and relied on his work ethic to get on the end of marks further up the ground and distributed the footy effectively and accurately to his teammates throughout the night.

Daniel McStay (13 disposals @ 62%, 241 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 3 handballs, 7 marks, 2 contested marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 7 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) competed for his marks at all times, won centre clearances while pinch-hitting in the ruck, and had a strong impact on the scoreboard with the goals he kicked.

Jamie Elliott (11 disposals @ 64%, 194 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 3 handballs, 5 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements & 2 goals) had a reasonable night against the Cats, where he took marks up forward and impacted the scoreboard with two telling goals.

Jack Ginnivan (10 disposals @ 40%, 202 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 3 handballs, 3 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 3 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 2 Inside 50s) had an immediate impact when he came on as the substitute for Darcy Moore, by taking marks up forward and dishing off opportunities for other teammates to kick goals.

Beau McCreery (10 disposals @ 70%, 200 metres gained, 10 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks, 8 tackles, 3 Tackles Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) brought great heat and pressure with his tackling instilling fear into his opponents, while McCreery got involved in scoring chains, and finished off his work with a couple of vital goals which contributed to the victory.

Jeremy Howe (9 disposals @ 78%, 127 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 3 handballs, 5 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 9 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) played up forward to shut down Tom Stewart. The only issue was Stewart started in the midfield on De Goey and was there for the duration of the first half. Howe had scoreboard impact where it counted, and contributed to scoring chains up forward.

Brody Mihocek (9 disposals @ 78%, 187 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 6 marks, 5 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 6 score involvements & 5 score involvements) had an exceptional night at goal, where he made every kick a winner. Mihocek instigated the fightback that ultimately enabled the Magpies to win the game.

Collingwood's next game will be against the Brisbane Lions at Marvel Stadium on August 18. Huge opportunity for the Woods to end their five-game losing streak against the Lions with a high-quality performance required to win this contest. The Pies have not won against Brisbane since 2019, and it is imperative to deliver a hammer blow to one of Collingwood's main premiership threats leading into the finals series in September.

Attachments

• IMG_0621.jpeg
    IMG_0621.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0622.jpeg
    IMG_0622.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0623.jpeg
    IMG_0623.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0624.jpeg
    IMG_0624.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
The moment Scott realised Geelong weren't the "DANGER"

chris-scott-shocked-face.gif

The moment he remembered we WERE.

[PLAYERCARD]chris scott[/PLAYERCARD] afl GIF by geelongcats

BITCH.

Only trouble with that AFL pic is that he hasn’t marked it yet. You can see space between his arm and the ball. By the time he does, the balls well over the line.

Maybe you should listen to the Cats supporter from earlier who was sitting right where it happened who said it was very clearly out.

You’re pretty much the only person I’ve seen, pies supporter or not, who thinks that was in.

Half a metre out at minimum.
Ridiculously out.
I rarely whinge on the umps but they got this wrong.
Genuinely stand by it. It was in. Here's a frame or so later then:

hNPBH9Z.png

It's right on top of the line for me.

hNPBH9Z.png

Cool
You picked the worst angle and it still looks out. Also, still doesn’t even have control of it yet.

hNPBH9Z.png

Are you serious? Murphy's hip is in line with the footy, and his hip is over the line despite being a space in front of Cameron (who hasn't completed the mark yet!)

hNPBH9Z.png

It’s just not possible to say from a single image whether it’s in or out. You need another angle snapped at the same time.

I’ve got to say I agreed with you originally because I thought that the 2 pies players were right beside Cameron but in fact they were some distance apart. Now that I know this I believe he’s a foot or so over.

IMG_6635.png

Cool
You picked the worst angle and it still looks out. Also, still doesn’t even have control of it yet.
Looks out to you perhaps, and many others. But I'm confident the call was fine. Fair mark in my view.
Are you serious? Murphy's hip is in line with the footy, and his hip is over the line despite being a space in front of Cameron (who hasn't completed the mark yet!)
His hip is not over the line - but that shouldn't be a factor at all.
It’s just not possible to say from a single image whether it’s in or out. You need another angle snapped at the same time.

I’ve got to say I agreed with you originally because I thought that the 2 pies players were right beside Cameron but in fact they were some distance apart. Now that I know this I believe he’s a foot or so over.

View attachment 1773420
The boundary line does not curve as sharp as the SO camera angle suggests it does. I would still say on the line - most certainly not a meter or half a meter as some have suggested. It's a simple parallax angle.

View attachment 1773420
If you look at the replay of this, Cameron doesn't fully control the ball until he is well over the line.
If it's not OOF, it's out of bounds.
It is not a mark.

hNPBH9Z.png

He marked the ball with his hands outstretched and then brought the ball back to his chest, if he is on the line in this photo then that means the ball was further out in front however long Cameron's arms stretch, lucky we won because the umpires would have been extremely unpopular after that game if we lost

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hNPBH9Z.png

I've got no qualms with it payng paid a mark - the umpire is too close to be able to see the ball and the line at the same time. But in that photo it looks well and truly out. Bruzzy's foot is on the line, if the camera was following the same angle as the boundary line, that would be on the line, but it's not, a right angle from the camera to Bruzzy's foot is well out of bounds.

If you look at the replay of this, Cameron doesn't fully control the ball until he is well over the line.
If it's not OOF, it's out of bounds.
It is not a mark.
And this is a very fair take too. Something to consider that's for sure.

It most certainly does. It's clear as day.
I firmly disagree. If the camera was directly above the ball, I reckon you'd reconsider "clear as day".

I am staunchly against the AFL at the best of times but they have come out and confirmed it was taken on the line - I'm confident in my own view that this is true but it's nice to have it reaffirmed as such.

You can nitpick all you like but until you consider the parallax of the angles provided, I frankly believe you're all wrong (just as I was Friday night when I was firmly in belief it was out on the full).

Yep. Best case scenario for the Cats should have been a throw in. He may have possibly touched it on the line ( I don't htink he did, but he sure as hell wasn't in control of it:

View attachment 1773461
Fair mark, we move on. Go Pies!

Not sure how to feel about David King noticing and talking about two of the exact things I noticed and talked about Friday night

• Pendles too slow to be in the middle
  • Defence actually looked more stable with Moore not there

King can get hyperbolic at times but he does analyse the game within an inch of its life

We really did look a little more “solid” down back once Moore wasn’t there.

Maybe Darcy just needs a straighten up like he got after the Richmond game last year to get him back on course?

Reckon Pendles maybe belongs forward? His lack of speed can’t hurt as much there but his brain and height can still be weapons there

I firmly disagree. If the camera was directly above the ball, I reckon you'd reconsider "clear as day".

I am staunchly against the AFL at the best of times but they have come out and confirmed it was taken on the line - I'm confident in my own view that this is true but it's nice to have it reaffirmed as such.

You can nitpick all you like but until you consider the parallax of the angles provided, I frankly believe you're all wrong (just as I was Friday night when I was firmly in belief it was out on the full).
I'm not nitpicking at all. I think the pic you have chosen to prove your point it was in, is probably the most damning pic I've seen thus far, showing he was clearly over the boundary line when he marked it. 😆

I'm not nitpicking at all. I think the pic you have chosen to prove your point it was in, is probably the most damning pic I've seen thus far, showing he was clearly over the boundary line when he marked it. 😆
Haha that's fair, I still disagree as it's a few frames after he first "marked" the ball and I still think it's on the line. Agree to disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back