Review Round 3, 2016:- Coburg v Box Hill Hawks, 23rd April @ Coburg 2pm

Remove this Banner Ad

My best:

Stewart (3 important goals in a low scoring game, including the icing on the cake)

Miles (kicked a couple and did some good things)

Gordon (first half was good)

Iles was good as was Mirra. Used their experience to steady the ship.

Spangher took some nice grabs, a couple of great smothers. Good comeback, can only improve further.

Brand was exciting at times.

Howe didn't have his best game but tried hard. Did a few good things.

Whitecross showed his experience in the last. Just helped to command the fight back.

Pittonet was frustrating. Great at times then went missing.

All in all Coburg made us earn the win. Conditions with the breeze weren't the easiest and may account for the high number of skill errors. Plenty of improvement to be had if we want to play finals.

Last edited:
Stay tuned for the teams.
HS Headline:- Jesus Resurrected??
Doesn't just walk on water. Floats through the air too. His contested mark was a cracker. Just seemed to hang there defying gravity.

Looking ahead to the next match, Box Hill host Frankston at home on Sunday. Hopefully we can get a good turnout. Franga had their first win for the season against Richmond today.

Looking ahead to the next match, Box Hill host Frankston at home on Sunday. Hopefully we can get a good turnout. Franga had their first win for the season against Richmond today.
That's their first win since 2014 isn't it?

Richmond deserve it.

Heading out so I'll just add some brief comments

Stewart has a bright future. He again smashed a few blokes with tackles.

Pittonet I thought was the best big man on the ground. The Coburg ruckman is a big body that loves to make his presence felt. Pittonet did that and more.

Whitecross was very encouraging. His confidence is building to the point that he may get a run soon.

Jono was quiet. As was Hardwick.

Lovell was good without being great.

Howe was the general. Strong performance.

Box Hill got burnt at 3-4 times switching in the backing.

The thing that really stood out was how dysfunctional the forward line was.

Box Hill got burnt at 3-4 times switching in the backing.

The thing that really stood out was how dysfunctional the forward line was.

It's frustrating when it doesn't pay off but we play a high risk brand like Hawthorn.

Tough day to be a forward. Much of the supply wasn't fantastic.

Th
It's frustrating when it doesn't pay off but we play a high risk brand like Hawthorn.

Tough day to be a forward. Much of the supply wasn't fantastic.
The frustration was many times they got caught behind. Yes the ball was kicked long to a pack but we never looked like taking a mark.

Fitzy was just going. Jones not much better.

But Coburg were good value. They will trouble all sides and beat most sides at home

JOR was very very disappointing today when there may have been spots up for grabs in the A team.

Steward is flying - on form alone he should be considered - not sure on the rookie rules though anymore and whether or not you need a LTI

Litherland went ok

Miles was good.

Willsmore was ok

Whitex was ok

Pitto could do more

JML could do more

Hardwick couldn't get near it, just one of those days

Brand was ok

Lovell was quite

Spang was ok didn't play out the game - not from injury (don't think so anyway)

Fitz brought the ball to ground at every opp but our smalls were never in the right spots, was being held a hell of lot.

No doubt missing somebody

Surman is bigger than Shem was - but in a good way - he played the 2nd half for the development squad (maybe cause I only saw the second half :D)

I'd say more but have a hell of a migraine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea sorry forgot Howe - he was better than most but not brilliant. Stewart was the one today, BOG for Hawthorn listed players easily, imo.

How did Luke Surman go for his first game?

Meh ... but that was not the purpose of the exercise. The Point was to get him on the ground for a half, not have him break down and see how he pulled up.

Mission accomplished.

He played the second half only. He took three good marks, kicked 2 goals one behind and got pinged for HTB on the boundary line as he tried to get over the line when tackled and made no attempt to dispose of the ball. Harsh, as you see that not paid all of the time. Apparently according to the cretins who instruct the umpires most rules of the game are now only optionally enforceable at the totally randomised discretion of the umpires. What a disgrace! It is no wonder that fans are pissed off entirely with this continual farcical nonsense. (See: dropping the ball when tackled with prior opportunity running with the ball, by several crows' players in the hawk's game last night).

He had a bit of time of the bench in both quarters. He mainly played FF and spent some time in the ruck where he was completely ineffectual.

Last edited:
Great to see Spank get through the match. Played with his normal flair and was moving freely. They at him down at three quarter time but he was fine.

Howie played in the guts and was pretty effective around the stoppages, BOG for mine.

Meh ... but that was not the purpose of the exercise. The Point was to get him on the ground for a half, not have him break down and see how he pulled up.

Mission accomplished.

He played the second half only. He took three god marks, kicked 2 goals one behind and got pinged for HTB on the boundary line as he tried to get over the line when tackled and made no attempt to dispose of the ball. Harsh, as you see that not paid all of the time. Apparently according to the cretins who instruct the umpires most rules of the game are now only optionally enforceable at the totally randomised discretion of the umpires. What a disgrace! It is no wonder that fans are pissed off entirely with this continual farcical nonsense. (See: dropping the ball when tackled with prior opportunity running with the ball, by several crows' players in the hawk's game last night).

He had a bit of time of the bench in both quarters. He mainly played FF and spent some time in the ruck where he was completely ineffectual.

Ok thanks :thumbsu:

Litherland anybody? Would be a good in for hartung(form)/hill(if leg injured) given his pace and can release some others into midfield
Litherland started slowly, almost looking lost at times. His second half was strong and in the last Q showed good judgement by knowing where to position and when to leave his man.
Probably going to spend at least another week at BH

Howe with 29 touches, 8 clearances and 8 tackles.....playing in the guts for the large part of the game. Kid will be a star.

So encouraged with Kade Stewart. Calling it now, WILL BE UPGRADED TO SENIOR LIST for next season. Has so much heart and hunger. Just a natural footballer.

Sounded like a strong comeback win.

A few of the player reviews/reports seem to contradict each other though. But I suppose it is each to their own opinion, maybe one of those games when you really can't get a read on anyones performance. Thanks to those with the reports however

Might be a few seniors spots up for grabs next week so will be interesting to see what the coaches thought of the game today

Howe with 29 touches, 8 clearances and 8 tackles.....playing in the guts for the large part of the game. Kid will be a star.

So encouraged with Kade Stewart. Calling it now, WILL BE UPGRADED TO SENIOR LIST for next season. Has so much heart and hunger. Just a natural footballer.
I only seen Stewart for the first time last week & was more than impressed! I 100% agree with your assessment. He has been mentioned as a bit a a Whingeguard comparison, not that it's a bad one, but I think that he will develop his style more like Dahlhaus.
I hinted last week that I thought he had the qualities of " long term & leadership". I would love to see big strides at Box Hill sooner rather than later

So I forgot to do my summary so let's hope that the game is still fresh enough in my mind.

Seeing as I can't remember too much, I'll focus on the better players.

- Howe - Looks so comfortable at this level (direct quote from Nathan Foley). Sums it up perfectly. He took a few contested marks as well and just looked decent, but as with everyone, his disposal was a bit down.

- Stewart - I called him as my boy in pre-season practice matches and everyone seems to be jumping on board. This guy is a natural footballer, he tackles like he has a vendetta on the opponent with the ball and also led Box Hill for pressure acts with close to 15 for the game). His kicking was definitely down yesterday but he found the ball heaps, kicked some crucial goals, especially the sealer which was off his right foot from 30-40. Please promote him Hawthorn, he will be one of those rookie players that have huge careers and shocks the world when they realise he was a rookie.

- Brand - Thought he had a real decent day, he's deceptively quick and took a few contested marks.

- Heatherley - Also took a few contested marks and intercept marks when Coburg were banging the door down.

- Fitzpatrick - Took some nice marks and he was the main target up forward but he couldn't clunk any and the Coburg defence kept taking the marks when we went forward. Also his ruck work was poor at times, well either the ruck tap or the midfield positioning was poor as Coburg won the clearances by +16 and usually were uncontested clearances.

- Lovell - He's too lively and busy that he doesn't know what he wants to do. He would mark the ball, go back, play on, run back, do some circles, and eventually kick it, but he got more of the ball this week so that was good. Still I kind of think he's quite slow when chasing so I'm still waiting to jump on his bandwagon.

- Willsmore - Heap of disposals, all uncontested probably and he showed how nice his disposal is but I'm still not sure what his position is.

Those are all the players I thought were decent. The rest didn't have anything special.

Litherland started slowly, almost looking lost at times. His second half was strong and in the last Q showed good judgement by knowing where to position and when to leave his man.
Probably going to spend at least another week at BH
Not sure if this was by design or it just happened because he followed his man, but he was in the midfield and spent a bit of time in and around there at times in the first qtr. If Doc hurt his leg in that first qtr then Lithers is ready to go again - even if Doc didn't Lithers is ready to go again :D
- Willsmore - Heap of disposals, all uncontested probably and he showed how nice his disposal is but I'm still not sure what his position is.

I'd give him ago ahead of Hartung at the moment, esp since Willsmore has started to tackle with intent - at least he is trying too. His class on the outside could be handy in the seniors at the moment.

Great to see Spank get through the match. Played with his normal flair and was moving freely. They at him down at three quarter time but he was fine.

Howie played in the guts and was pretty effective around the stoppages, BOG for mine.

Absolutely fair call - I'd bring him in for Lewis

Sounded like a strong comeback win.

A few of the player reviews/reports seem to contradict each other though. But I suppose it is each to their own opinion, maybe one of those games when you really can't get a read on anyones performance. Thanks to those with the reports however

Might be a few seniors spots up for grabs next week so will be interesting to see what the coaches thought of the game today

I think that Bello summed it up perfectly at three quarter time when he told them:

i. they were s**t for the first three quarters

ii. in spite of that they were still in the game

iii. they could put in one good quarter so they could write down that they played well in one quarter (the last) when they got back in the rooms.

And they did.

After what can only be described as a thoroughly lacklustre performance against a very ordinary team of battlers and try hards at criminal park, they put in a modestly honest effort in the last to snatch a close victory.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back