Podcast Round 3, 2020 - The Airing of Grievances

Remove this Banner Ad

The Eagles stumbled at the first hurdle of the season, with an embarrassing defeat at the hands of the Gold Coast Suns, leaving many scratching their head. HoneyBadger35 and Miguel Sanchez figure out what went wrong and how to resolve it in Round 3. The crew also talk fans returning to the footy, Jeremy McGovern's suspension and Andrew Gaff notching his 200th game.

Link
iTunes
RSS
Previous Episodes

We've joined Twitter! Follow us at @WCEBFPod, or send us your rating and review on iTunes!

It sounds like people want Cole instead of Nelson because he offers more rebound (citation required), is quicker (patently false) and better in the wet (citation required).

The real reason is that Nelson has a bit of a campaigner face and plays a low-possession role.

I attempted to touch on this in the pod but forget if it made the final cut post glitch - what’s never added up to me is there’s a large crossover between the people who think the game’s gone soft and we need more mongrel, and who also think Jackson Nelson is a hack. Never made sense to me.

It sounds like people want Cole instead of Nelson because he offers more rebound (citation required), is quicker (patently false) and better in the wet (citation required).

The real reason is that Nelson has a bit of a campaigner face and plays a low-possession role.
Don't care about his face. It could be a lot worse.

What is his low-possession role? He simply seems like a 'low impact' player to me. If he halves a contest that's good for him. Often he loses them, only occasionally wins them. Apart from low possessions what else does he do? Has he got some sacrificial role not apparent to the superficial observer? He just seems like a very average player to me which means we are just about playing one short or with a self-inflicted handicap each week. He can't play 'tall' or 'small'. The idea of him playing on Cameron terrifies me. Cameron would lick his lips and run rings around him.

Despite the above, I am genuinely interested to learn what his 'low possession role' is? Please enlighten me, I don't see it.

Enjoyed the pod - thanks

Using my own criteria:

Will always be my first love #3: Chris Mainwaring
If I needed a #3 to get Brownlow votes in a one off game to save my life: Chris Judd
Potential for the longest legacy #3: Andrew Gaff

Enjoyed the pod - thanks

Using my own criteria:

Will always be my first love #3: Chris Mainwaring
If I needed a #3 to get Brownlow votes in a one off game to save my life: Chris Judd
Potential for the longest legacy #3: Andrew Gaff

Thanks mate, appreciate it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't care about his face. It could be a lot worse.

What is his low-possession role? He simply seems like a 'low impact' player to me. If he halves a contest that's good for him. Often he loses them, only occasionally wins them. Apart from low possessions what else does he do? Has he got some sacrificial role not apparent to the superficial observer? He just seems like a very average player to me which means we are just about playing one short or with a self-inflicted handicap each week. He can't play 'tall' or 'small'. The idea of him playing on Cameron terrifies me. Cameron would lick his lips and run rings around him.

Despite the above, I am genuinely interested to learn what his 'low possession role' is? Please enlighten me, I don't see it.

I didn’t put forth the low possession concept but will piggyback off it to a degree. He’s a shutdown type who has no job other than to stop his opponent. He doesn’t play to give us a rebounding options, or to intercept, he plays to just be a thorn in the side of whoever he sits on all day.

I don’t understand where this idea that he often loses contests and a halving would be a huge win for him. He halves the majority of contests I’ve seen him in, especially in recent seasons, and often times wins them in my mind. We were god awful against GC but I can’t recall a time he was directly involved in any defensive breakdown for instance. There’s plenty of Gov or Hurn or Barrass examples I can think of (all much better players for sure), but Nelson is still getting dragged along with them seemingly on (lack of) reputation alone.

He’s no world beater, but he seems to have inherited the whipping boy status and I’m not sure why, given whipping boys are usually the ones people tout as soft or lazy, which he couldn’t be further from.

Cameron, the best small forward in footy, may well run rings around him, but I can’t recall any errors Nelson has made this season yet so that’s all we can go off for now. I don’t agree that he can’t play small (he certainly shouldn’t be playing tall), but in my mind he’s a small defender, the throwback back pocket type.

I’ve found his year to be nothing special but certainly not worthy of comment one way or the other. Has he done something specific that’s disappointed you this season?

I didn’t put forth the low possession concept but will piggyback off it to a degree. He’s a shutdown type who has no job other than to stop his opponent. He doesn’t play to give us a rebounding options, or to intercept, he plays to just be a thorn in the side of whoever he sits on all day.

I don’t understand where this idea that he often loses contests and a halving would be a huge win for him. He halves the majority of contests I’ve seen him in, especially in recent seasons, and often times wins them in my mind. We were god awful against GC but I can’t recall a time he was directly involved in any defensive breakdown for instance. There’s plenty of Gov or Hurn or Barrass examples I can think of (all much better players for sure), but Nelson is still getting dragged along with them seemingly on (lack of) reputation alone.

He’s no world beater, but he seems to have inherited the whipping boy status and I’m not sure why, given whipping boys are usually the ones people tout as soft or lazy, which he couldn’t be further from.

Cameron, the best small forward in footy, may well run rings around him, but I can’t recall any errors Nelson has made this season yet so that’s all we can go off for now. I don’t agree that he can’t play small (he certainly shouldn’t be playing tall), but in my mind he’s a small defender, the throwback back pocket type.

I’ve found his year to be nothing special but certainly not worthy of comment one way or the other. Has he done something specific that’s disappointed you this season?
Thanks for the podcast by the way. It was good to listen to two fellow supporters talking about the game , as opposed to gloating Victorians.

My issue with Nelson, apart from his not infrequent clangers, is that he just appears to do so little in a game so it looks like we are carrying him. He is taller (187cm) than the classic back pocket who were and have to be attacking as well as defensive. I think we have a number of better options than him - Cole, Watson and Rotham.

I know there were a number of poor players on Saturday besides him but he had 5 disposals (2 kicks) and 3 tackles. Ah Chee, Petro, Cripps, Hurn, Kennedy, Darling, Redden, nearly the whole team apart from a handful. Cameron would tear Nelson apart. I just don't think Nelson has a high ceiling, not much more than he showed against GC.
Can we afford to carry a limited, low output, lockdown defender?

Thanks for the podcast by the way. It was good to listen to two fellow supporters talking about the game , as opposed to gloating Victorians.

My issue with Nelson, apart from his not infrequent clangers, is that he just appears to do so little in a game so it looks like we are carrying him. He is taller (187cm) than the classic back pocket who were and have to be attacking as well as defensive. I think we have a number of better options than him - Cole, Watson and Rotham.

I know there were a number of poor players on Saturday besides him but he had 5 disposals (2 kicks) and 3 tackles. Ah Chee, Petro, Cripps, Hurn, Kennedy, Darling, Redden, nearly the whole team apart from a handful. Cameron would tear Nelson apart. I just don't think Nelson has a high ceiling, not much more than he showed against GC.
Can we afford to carry a limited, low output, lockdown defender?
Haha mate, if you look at Cole's numbers over his career they're basically the same as Nelsons. They're both lockdown defenders who play on smaller forwards. They both don't rack up the pill, and we don't aim to get it into their hands.

If you think back to how Cole went on Cameron last year, what do you remember...? (I've blocked it out, sigh. Or drank it away. Or something.)

We saw Rotham get pretty good numbers when he came in to the AFL squad last year cos he was filling in for Hurn (or was it Shep?), which was a big contrast from his WAFL numbers where he was playing a lockdown role at fullback. I'd be interested in seeing more of Rotham take Nelson's spot, but I do worry that this makes us too tall. Still, hope he gets games this year. Our most promising young back by far.

Franky just doesn't run as hard both ways, and if you're looking for a player who's not prone to the odd turnover... wellllll, I have bad news for you. I hope he makes it, and his game last year against the Dees was brilliant, but he's still severely lacking consistency.

Just admit it, it's his face. :p

Anyone from Victoria has to 14 day quarantine in Queensland now . So there goes the Richmond game .

Hopefully we can host Sydney instead

*edit* that was said in jest, but Sydney are due to play the Demons so Tigers could play Demons instead and we play Sydney. It's Sydney's home game, though. Not keen for a SCG spanking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back