Review Round 3, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll come out with a statement about the whole thing ,circle the wagons ,and get on with it.

Sometimes things like this can galvanise a group.

When I was their age I did plenty of things that I'm now ashamed of and you learn from your mistakes over time.

Being in the public eye isn't much fun sometimes.

Bit further than I went there. I felt that we went in too tall, and it was a 50/50 game before that, so value wise was worth putting a few bucks on.

I did not say we are cooked and the run is over. We are out of form. This can be rectified and doesn't happen overnight. Even then, it was a close game against last year's premier. Let's not overreac
I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this.. like every other supporter no doubt, I just don't want the good times to end with nothing to show for it. If this can't be fixed then that really hurts and I'm sorry to be over emotional about that. Yes I know nothing lasts forever but still...

Regardless of what the reasons are for the form slump something is just not right (now allegations are starting to come out of the wood work around Las Vegas, to which I say - believe half of what you see and none of what you hear). Regardless, If there is a hint of distrust or angst between teammates then the goose is cooked. No coming back from that and it would be near in impossible for Fagan to change it.

We'll come out with a statement about the whole thing ,circle the wagons ,and get on with it.

Sometimes things like this can galvanise a group.

When I was their age I did plenty of things that I'm now ashamed of and you learn from your mistakes over time.

Being in the public eye isn't much fun sometimes.

Highly paid young male athletes are allegedly unfaithful on a footy trip. Not really a story or a surprise is it? Next thing you’ll tell me that footy players do drugs.

I find it distasteful but I don’t treat footy players as role models so provided nothing was criminal, it’s not my place to speculate or criticise.

Their private lives aren’t really relevant, they are just playing badly. If we were 3-0 there wouldn’t be a story - this is just a convenient excuse to engage in some muckracking.

Highly paid young male athletes are allegedly unfaithful on a footy trip. Not really a story or a surprise is it? Next thing you’ll tell me that footy players do drugs.

I find it distasteful but I don’t treat footy players as role models so provided nothing was criminal, it’s not my place to speculate or criticise.

Their private lives aren’t really relevant, they are just playing badly. If we were 3-0 there wouldn’t be a story - this is just a convenient excuse to engage in some muckracking.

I agree in some respects, my thoughts are/were - surely they wouldn’t turn on each other to that degree over cheating. Maybe some subtle judgement but like you said, it’s no one’s business really.

Then I think, imagine if 10 of my colleagues went away together on a work trip (I work on in a team of 50) and things on that trip lead to long term relationships breaking down, personal messages being read, unsavoury behaviour and standards, arguments back at the office over personal matters in the wake of it.

Reckon it would have a fairly detrimental effect on the team and the business, resignations would happen, HR would get involved.

I know you could say ‘but it’s a footy team, it’s a bit different’ - but it would still rock the joint a bit I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This where I’m at as well. Agree 100%.

Well rumours have been festering about this for months.

And you know what happens when rumours fester , they get bigger and more elaborate over time.

I've never known or known of a highly paid athlete who ever had a problem getting laid.

This has been part of the culture for high level sports people since forever and was generally seen as part of the deal. Sorry if that offends anybody but the most squeaky clean athlete of all time in Tiger Woods was in reality a sex addict and the press and hangers on just accepted it for 20 years . No one was prepared to blow the whistle and it took his wife to beat him up for the story to come out.

This Vegas thing just sounds like your average end of season trip where something embarrassing happened and it only came out in the press when we were going poorly.

What effect it had on our culture or the players themselves I have no idea but you'd be very naive to think something similar doesn't occur in all the clubs

Well rumours have been festering about this for months.

And you know what happens when rumours fester , they get bigger and more elaborate over time.

I've never known or known of a highly paid athlete who ever had a problem getting laid.

This has been part of the culture for high level sports people since forever and was generally seen as part of the deal. Sorry if that offends anybody but the most squeaky clean athlete of all time in Tiger Woods was in reality a sex addict and the press and hangers on just accepted it for 20 years . No one was prepared to blow the whistle and it took his wife to beat him up for the story to come out.

This Vegas thing just sounds like your average end of season trip where something embarrassing happened and it only came out in the press when we were going poorly.

What effect it had on our culture or the players themselves I have no idea but you'd be very naive to think something similar doesn't occur in all the clubs

Couldn't agree more with all the above. There's no relevant news angle here for something that allegedly happened late last year without the team being 0-3.

Look at how the stories are framed 'Lions officials deny a rift in the playing group is contributing to poor performance' etc - that gives them a hook to indulge in reporting on said rumours, which otherwise wouldn't meet publication standard (unless they are at the Daily Mail Australia).

Couldn't agree more with all the above. There's no relevant news angle here for something that allegedly happened late last year without the team being 0-3.

Look at how the stories are framed 'Lions officials deny a rift in the playing group is contributing to poor performance' etc - that gives them a hook to indulge in reporting on said rumours, which otherwise wouldn't meet publication standard (unless they are at the Daily Mail Australia).
Remember when 4 Corners did an 'expose' of NRL players , their sex antics and the groupies who followed them around. I don't think anyone was shocked except to say the way they treated women wouldn't be tolerated in today's environment.

Tiger was brazen enough to bring a mistress to Australia who went to some of the functions, partied into the night with others and went out and bolted in the Aus open over 4 days of immaculate golf. They paid a fortune to bring him out but he delivered so it was seen that he could walk on water. His fatal mistake was believing that he could.

So this Vegas thing is a pimple and the only story is if there is a fracture within the club of which there is no evidence to date.

Regardless of the reality of highly paid footy players, it saddens me that this behaviour is passed off as normal and acceptable.

And I'm sure that there is a significant group inside the club who feel the same.

So to assume that this is all OK and not causing issues or even a rift is pretty naive to me.

Don't fully agree with some posters that personal clashes inside a club won't have an effect on playing groups.
Every club is different and certain things upset the apple cart so to speak.
Depends on what else is happening around the club.

Something is wrong mentally with our group and it shows in quite a few lackluster quarters.

Maybe with the issue finally out in the open the players will find a way forward.

Regardless of the reality of highly paid footy players, it saddens me that this behaviour is passed off as normal and acceptable.

And I'm sure that there is a significant group inside the club who feel the same.

So to assume that this is all OK and not causing issues or even a rift is pretty naive to me.
Whether it's passed off as normal and acceptable is probably up to the individual ,my point is simply that it's a reality for anyone that's hung around high level sportsmen

The issue and culture with sporting teams has generally been as long as you don't interfere with your mates private lives ..... as Carey found out.

We had coaches having affairs with players wives in the AFL , and that didn't stop Corio Bay winning a flag back in the day.

I'm not assuming anything re us , accept that it's not anything surprising.

Back