Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha did you read that description of Ginbey

PLAYER COMPARISON : Jack Crisp

WA’s top prospect with an outstanding all-round athletic profile with WAFL league experience. Not necessarily a ‘wow’ player, but possesses excellent vision around stoppages and can play in various roles.

Your source of truth is a mock dradf which says Ginbey isn’t special….
Did you see Hewetts player comparison from the same article?

Guess we won the draft.

We lost hit outs 35 to 29 to one of the better rucks in the comp.
We won clearances 37 to 28 with our season average so far 34.3 which is on par with Dogs 34.7
We won center clearances 13 to 6, more than double.
We are getting our hands on the ball a lot at stoppages so we are well on the way to fixing up this part of the game, which I am pretty sure is a good starting place.
Disposal efficiency at 73.1 wasn't that bad, Dogs at 81% was pretty damn good. to put it in perspective Geelong went at 72.7%.

As soon as we get within 60m of goal though duh duh, there is where all that hard work getting and holding the ball gets thrown in the furnace.
Inside 50 efficiency for us on the weekend was 35.3% compared to Dogs 51%, our 2024 avg is 41.5%. Carlton who scored big with 21.11 went at 54.8% and their 2024 avg is 47.7%.

On the weekend it was basically win the ball, pass, pass, pass, pass,pass, pass, turnover, pass, pass goal. Start again.

The main preseason fwd line set up revolved around Oallen, Bwilliams being the main two up there now we had a proper Ruck.
We all know what happened next.

We are getting out-marked all over the ground and uncontested possession we were beaten by over 100 on the weekend. Contested we were beaten 134 to 128 so that is not a bad effort at all.

We can't fix everything with the wave of a hand over one pre-season, I still think the 2022-23 pre-season we thought we could have one last crack so didn't do a big overhaul on the whole game plan and personnel.

We are matching and even winning at the coal face, contested possession and clearances. Even last week we were only beaten 148 to 138 in contested possies, lost center clearances but won stoppage clearances, against GWS.

Once we clean up disposal and get that fwd 50 area bloody fixed we will be a much better and tougher side to play against.

Aside from general skills the forward line has been the main issue.

If we could cause repeat entries instead of the ball just rebounding with no pressure we would be a hell of alot more competitive.

Not sure what the coaches have been doing but this issue has been there for every game so far. Rinse and repeat

Even at the most simplistic, if no clear target is available going forward. Play toward the boundary line to create a stoppage.

Aside from general skills the forward line has been the main issue.

If we could cause repeat entries instead of the ball just rebounding with no pressure we would be a hell of alot more competitive.

Not sure what the coaches have been doing but this issue has been there for every game so far. Rinse and repeat

Even at the most simplistic, if no clear target is available going forward. Play toward the boundary line to create a stoppage.

Yep this, and the lack of chase and run, particularly chase. When English tore away from our chasing players. it was the worst possible sight. Guys plodding along behind him, including Yeo and Reid. Not good enough. No hunger to chase.

We have the most pessimistic fans in the entire league, yes we ******* suck but writing off players after 20 games is plain stupid.

These calls of us having no talent, or all our youngsters will never be more than solid are way too early.

Ginbey is in his second year, playing the hardest role in football and the majority of posters in here are saying he’ll never be anything more than solid.

Get a grip you soft utensils.
I find it real odd that there are those taking pot shots at Hough, he wasnt good on the weekend but the last half of last year he was good and i thought hed been ok so far this year.

They don’t lack the IQ, they don’t have the skills to hit that pass.
No I think they lack IQ. How many times do we see players charging through HF fixated on a narrow arc straight in front of them.If they looked sideways we often ( not always) have players at the top of the 50 or even a player 15-20m infield. Stop and prop went down the gurgler with Ryan.Look, look,look!
I don’t know if our players are dumb or it’s been trained out of them.
Guys charge toward goal and from 60m odd out they just go BOOM! Yet there can be 2,3,4, players loose to the sides.
Watch all the top sides now. It’s short,chip, chip chip.
WC should put a huge banner up in the change rooms
“LOWER YOUR EYES”

Thought this was a pretty revealing interview. We really lacked composure and tried to rush when we needed to wait. We fed the turnover game. Never gave our defence a break or the forward line a chance.

Watching the game I thought we've taken the idea of 'move the ball quick' too far. It's like they've been so drilled on this that they're often giving the handball to a runner who is in a worse position, resulting in rushed disposals and frequent turnovers. What should be a mark > handball > kick is instead becoming a mark > handball > rushed handball > rushed handball > rushed kick. I'm no coach though so maybe they do need to go too far with it to realise their limits and then dial it back to find a happy medium. It just looks bloody messy at the moment though.

Literally no one thought it was an even draft, that is revising history. Everyone knew Sheezel was pick 2 for example and it’s the reason why we should have bargained harder for it.

We needed quantity with that pick and 1 pick for 2 picks wasn’t enough. We should have gotten 2 more picks out of them . A future 2nd and future 3rd for example. Doing this would have given us flexibility to dump Witherden and Rotham as opposed to waste a year on them knowing they won’t be here in 12 months time
literally most did at the time. it seems you are the one revising history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

literally most did at the time. it seems you are the one revising history.
Ginbey was a big slider. He went from pick 20 to pick 9 quite quickly and only really when we got that pick 9 and people put 2 and 2 together

Once again we are discussing the secondary issue.

Question is, do you think pick 9 and 14 was Norths first and only offer? I think it was.... so why did we just accept the first and only offer when its clear we 100% needed more

well unlike you, im not going to pretend to know the inner workings of such discussions.
Albeit I dont necessarily disagree that we could have and maybe should have got more.

But i dont really have a problem with the deal we made for 2 and 9+14 in isolation.. give the evenness of the draft and dire need for more talent i think it was fine. It was port's inclusion and extracting so little from them which grinded me and most on here. they made out like bandits and we facilitated that.

I think it was more about the players we wanted rather than the actual draft position.
We obviously valued who we got as a pair over any individual higher up in the draft.
2x WA boys vs 1x eastern stater.
If we were going to get them with 9 and 14 so be it.

Ginbey was a big slider. He went from pick 20 to pick 9 quite quickly and only really when we got that pick 9 and people put 2 and 2 together

Once again we are discussing the secondary issue.

Question is, do you think pick 9 and 14 was Norths first and only offer? I think it was.... so why did we just accept the first and only offer when its clear we 100% needed more

This isn’t true at all.

Ginbey was spotlighted as a potential bolter after pre-season testing in March 2022 before the season even begun.

Recruiters were saying before the championships that Ginbey was firming as potentially the first WA pick off the board in front of Busslinger and Hewett.

By July Twomey had him at 10 in his phantom form guide.

And by combine Ginbey had firmly established himself in the top 10 and was interviewed by both GCS (pick 6) and Hawthorn (pick 7) in days leading up to the draft.

If anything being on the board at 9 was considered good fortune for West Coast at the time.

In terms of the “mega deal” we got unders for pick 2, 9+14, but there was no other club that could have facilitated a better deal than the one we did end up doing. No club had multiple picks in the 5-12 range. GWS were in talks to trade 3/12 with North and that would have happened if mega deal didn’t eventuate.

Not doing the mega deal means we have either Cadman or Ginbey on our list, and no Hewett depending on whether GWS get pick 1 without us.

it allowed us to get the players we wanted to get in what was a very important draft for the club. So in that sense it was a good deal, becuase it was a pragmatic deal.

Literally no one thought it was an even draft, that is revising history. Everyone knew Sheezel was pick 2 for example and it’s the reason why we should have bargained harder for it.

We needed quantity with that pick and 1 pick for 2 picks wasn’t enough. We should have gotten 2 more picks out of them . A future 2nd and future 3rd for example. Doing this would have given us flexibility to dump Witherden and Rotham as opposed to waste a year on them knowing they won’t be here in 12 months time

We literally did get a future 2nd and 3rd out of the deal. Tied to Port Adelaide.

The future 2nd ended up being used to get Clay Hall and the 3rd rounder was used to get Harvey Johnston.

We literally did get a future 2nd and 3rd out of the deal. Tied to Port Adelaide.

The future 2nd ended up being used to get Clay Hall and the 3rd rounder was used to get Harvey Johnston.
thats not exactly true tho. as we also gave up an early 3rd (pick 40) and rioli.
future 2nd and future 3rd were def unders for rioli and 40, esp given how much they slide back.

port made out like bandits in the deal. how they got the F2 (pies) and F3 (freo) back in their direction was where the club should have been stronger.

thats not exactly true tho. as we also gave up an early 3rd (pick 40) and rioli.
future 2nd and future 3rd were def unders for rioli and 40, esp given how much they slide back.

port made out like bandits in the deal. how they got the F2 (pies) and F3 (freo) back in their direction was where the club should have been stronger.

Yes and no.

I think of it in two parts.

We got Eberted on Rioli, and we did the only deal possible that would get us two picks in first round of 2022 for pick 2.

Port made out like Bandits, essentially got a Rioli for free and got GWS to pick up the tab for JHF.

North did very well. They traded back from pick 1 to pick 2, got the same player they would have picked at 1, got pick 3, pick 40 and future Port first.

GWS paid a big tax to move up.

We did a deal that got us what we needed, and averted a “bad” outcome of missing Cadman and spending pick 2 on Ginbey alone.

Doing the deal got us Hewett for free.

EDIT: Port getting a F2,F3 was due to AFL rules. They needed those picks in order for the AFL to ok the trade based on future pick trading rules. The club wanted the trade to happen because it facilitated Hewett being available to us.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, * Willie Rioli and * Port Adelaide.

We lost a pick + a player to get that so that is a 2 in, 2 out scenario.

We needed extra bodies so we could delist Witherden and the like as opposed to hand 1 year deals to people with zero future

I don’t know about everyone else but revising draft history does nothing for me, and to be honest does nothing for where we are at right now coz we can’t change it.

We have to look at what we’ve got and make the most of it, and make sure we draft for needs at this stage.
We also need to play smarter footy, and play footy according to what we’ve got on the park imo. We can’t play a fast style that bombs it into the forward line when we have a tall, medium paced forward line with only one pressure forward that can keep the ball in our 50, because as we’ve seen it just gets rebounded straight out and we are terrible on transition defence.

Our players need to realise that they have to move the ball around the 50 til we get a decent lead and kick to space. This is what the coaches should be drilling into them.
Obviously we don’t want to take too much time because that gives defenders the chance to clog up our 50, but at the moment our one and only trick is to bomb it long in hope and it’s killing us.

Alternatively we need to bring in smaller, faster pressure forwards even if they’re young to create that pressure on the defence if the ball is bombed in and brought to ground. At the moment our team composition doesn’t match the style we are playing and vice versa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back