Preview Round 3 v Sydney MCG Sunday March 31st 4pm

Remove this Banner Ad

With a crucial player like Grimes injured, must play Balta in defence.
Shore up defence at all costs.
No ifs, no buts.
You can "experiment" once you prevent the opposition kicking winning scores.
Don't GAFF if it looks butt ugly.
Grimes is no longer the crucial player he once was. He's still good one on one, but his pace has gone and he's now like a deer in the headlights when he has the ball for more than a few seconds. He is now a pure stopper, but only for key forwards. He no longer has the pace to go with the small forwards like he used to. I think a backline of Miller, Young, Broad, Vlastuin, Riloli and Brown will be just fine without him.

Banks has shown why we are persisting with MacIntosh & Pickett on the wings. He's next in line but not showing much at AFL level. Who is next? Ralphsmith? Maybe Kaleb Smith if he gets a run of form behind him?
Definitely Ralphsmith, and what about Clarke? I'd be happy to try either of them ahead of Pickett or McIntosh. What have we got to lose? I'd even move Short up to the wing.

I know Ross can do it but he's far better in the middle.

From what I can see we've still got Hardwicks pre-stand era zone defense that he never adjusted. Unless we start manning up we're dead in the water.
Spot on. Nothing has changed.

Definitely Ralphsmith, and what about Clarke? I'd be happy to try either of them ahead of Pickett or McIntosh. What have we got to lose? I'd even move Short up to the wing.

I know Ross can do it but he's far better in the middle.
Banks is seriously quick but fumbles when going full pace. Needs time in the vfl to learn to be clean.
Someone like Rioli(D) against Goulding would be interesting

So what you’re saying was my post was an overreaction?

JGTI won’t be ready for1-2 weeks
There was speculation Broad was injured…glad he’s good

Lynch will come good after our bye…still rusty and has to cop being triple teamed

Where’s Bauer?
Bauer should be back in the 2s next week with any luck,
Love your work RH

He took more marks than Lynch 😩 and he could have matched Lynch’s goals tally but he unselfishly passed the ball to a teammate in the goal square. Let’s face it, it was a terrible day for Richmond forwards. He deserves another chance.
Plus he was only supposed to be the sub and not play the entire match. He held structure as well as he should’ve from what I noticed. Definitely deserves a second go at it as you’d expect him to have learnt a lot from his first go. We’ll see if he can be a little more assertive like he is in the reserves

One thing I find horrendous in our last two games is that we had fewer disposals AND fewer tackles than our opponents. It shows that our opponents are working harder and smarter without the ball than us despite having more possessions. It's obvious when watching the game too because we see so many stationary players ball-watching. The moment the opposition starts their kick-marking chains, our players immediately run to our defence instead of manning up, resulting in an inside 50 to our opposition.

This explains so many of our stats:
  • 18th in pressure
  • 17th in average marking differential
  • 17th in inside 50s differential
  • 17th in disposals differential
  • 17th in metres gained differential

Not to mention, we are 18th in effective disposals differential between us and our opponents (16th in kicking efficiency % and 18th in handball efficiency %) and of course 1st in clangers. So we don't use the ball very well compared to our opponents.

If Yze can't address every one of our problems due to personnel and skill level, then he at least needs to address our running patterns off the ball. They need to man up when the opposition have the ball and work smarter. Otherwise, we will quickly find ourselves in the bottom 2 even below North Melbourne and Hawthorn. Yay to pick 2 I guess, but no yays for our season.

Sydney will destroy us if we don't improve this by tomorrow.

One thing I find horrendous in our last two games is that we had fewer disposals AND fewer tackles than our opponents. It shows that our opponents are working harder and smarter without the ball than us despite having more possessions. It's obvious when watching the game too because we see so many stationary players ball-watching. The moment the opposition starts their kick-marking chains, our players immediately run to our defence instead of manning up, resulting in an inside 50 to our opposition.

• 18th in pressure

Not to mention, we are 18th in effective disposals differential between us and our opponents (16th in kicking efficiency % and 18th in handball efficiency %) and of course 1st in clangers. So we don't use the ball very well compared to our opponents.

If Yze can't address every one of our problems due to personnel and skill level, then he at least needs to address our running patterns off the ball. They need to man up when the opposition have the ball and work smarter. Otherwise, we will quickly find ourselves in the bottom 2 even below North Melbourne and Hawthorn. Yay to pick 2 I guess, but no yays for our season.

Hmmm 18 th on pressure is really bad stat , imo that says to me that players don’t want to run through a brick wall for Yze , mind you 3 games in only but still bit of a concern

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• 18th in pressure

Well said. I’m wondering when the game will come where we look like a different team. Currently it’s very similiar to last year, if not worse. You look at our side on paper and it’s very concerning. Need a complete shift in mindset/some first round picks and tougher at every contest. Need that 2017 finals series hunger back

Well said. I’m wondering when the game will come where we look like a different team. Currently it’s very similiar to last year, if not worse. You look at our side on paper and it’s very concerning. Need a complete shift in mindset/some first round picks and tougher at every contest. Need that 2017 finals series hunger back
I'd suggest that when Yze has the ability to actually pick the best team, is when we'll see a different looking team. At the moment we're not getting to pick that team. At the moment it's been at least 5 changes every week and we've used 33 of 44 players on the list in just 4 games. Impossible to get consistency in how we play, when it's a revolving door in regards to team selection and it's probably going to continue to happen for another couple of weeks at least.

Hmmm 18 th on pressure is really bad stat , imo that says to me that players don’t want to run through a brick wall for Yze , mind you 3 games in only but still bit of a concern
Yeah it’s a far cry from our Premiership days. I’m not sure why our pressure’s dropped off so much.

For context, our pressure factor over the first 3 games was 165, which is the lowest pressure rating we had over three consecutive weeks since 2016. Yeah, we haven’t been a pressure side for years (including our finals season in 2022), but this is a new low for us in 7-8 or so seasons.

Sydney’s basically the worst side we’d want to come across while in this form. They have a pressure factor of 225 in their defensive 50 so far, which is number 1 in the league. They’re also pretty solid in overall pressure around the ground. I mean, they’ve laid the most tackles inside 50 so far, so it’s evident. If we don’t lift our intensity tomorrow or at least be clean with our disposals, then they’ll intercept in defence all day and score from defensive 50 chains. They are ranked first in scoring from intercept possessions this year, so we have a big concern at hand.

Regarding the fall off in our pressure, maybe the players are playing into the fact that this is Yze’s first year of coaching. Supporters and journalists alike have been saying that this is a development year for us, and perhaps they’ve bought into it. If so, Yze needs to have a stern talk with them because it’ll eventually come back to him if they continue like this. We’ll see how we go tomorrow. Hopefully we see improved effort from our players

FFS's I know Clarke wasn't great but wtf do they drop a kid after playing a measly 23minutes game time as sub. He actually did as much as MRJ does in an entire game. I'm sick of the biased favourtism MRJ gets. He can do SFA in magoos and get promoted and do SFA in seniors and retain his spot. What does a "great" game from MRJ look like? 9 touches (50% DE), 1 mark, 2 tackles, 0.2. Meanwhile his opponents carve us up. The bar is so low for him it's a joke.

Looks like Yze has an idea for the structure of the team he wants.
The INs are as close to like for like as you can get to the OUT's:

Young for Grimes
Broad for Trezise
M Rioli for Clarke (which was original plan last week before the late out)
Sonsie for Dusty - OK, there is no like for like here, but I'd argue Sonsie ahead of Cumberland.

I'm a believer in giving your new players more than 1 week - so happy enough for Lefau to have another match or two. I'm not expecting Kozi, Ryan or Naismith to be much of an upgrade on him as a KPF and don't see Cumberland playing the same role.
Good to see Miller & Brown keep their spots - shame about Tresize's injury.

Banks has shown why we are persisting with MacIntosh & Pickett on the wings. He's next in line but not showing much at AFL level. Who is next? Ralphsmith? Maybe Kaleb Smith if he gets a run of form behind him?

McAuliffe will get his chance. Absolutely no rush with him.
Clarke probably the one who's unlucky to be out of the team but I feel it's Campbell who's currently taking his spot.
Hugo has been good the last couple of weeks, and has the running power to play that wing role but his kicking is below par, and I think he goes missing when the heat is really on. Having said that you do have to reward VFL form, and you’d hope he’d be working hard on those deficiencies, if he’s any chance to get a contract extension.
I really like Clarke on the wing, at some stage this year. Has elite foot skills and a good endurance/ speed combo.

Play the kids that use the ball well - McAullife, Brown, Sonsie, Campbell and Clarke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back