Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
LAST TIME THEY MET: EAGLES STUN THE BULLDOGS AT MARVEL

1711457135152.png

The last time we faced the Bulldogs was the last time any of us felt any joy, as we stunned the football world by taking the 4 points for just the 3rd time all season. Ironically, many of us felt it was a rather bitter-sweet victory as it was widely assumed that it was going to cost us Pick 1 and the beautiful long-haired campaigner that storied pick would bring us. That was until the mighty North Melbourne did the unthinkable and put the hapless Gold Coast Suns to the sword down in sunny Hobart in Round 24.

For the first time in a while, we burst out of the gates and held control for the majority of the game. We kicked the first 3 goals and, for the first half, held firm and went into half time with a close lead of 11 points. However, our traditional slump in the premiership quarter reared its ugly head once again, as we allowed the Dogs to outscore us in the 3rd quarter 5 goals to 2. This saw us go into the final change down by 9 points.

Enter: Jamie Cripps.

1711457294143.png

3 last quarter goals from the veteran from Northampton saw us home, running out victors by 7 points.

HOW WE DID IT

The stats sheet for this game was dead even across the park, the only significant difference between the two sides was our marginally better ball use. We went at 74% disposal efficiency, 69% for the bad guys. Our i50 efficiency was 54%, compared to 47% for them.

1711457390569.png

They edged nudged us in the hitouts, 57 to 46, however we just took come the choccies in clearances, both from the bounce and around the ground.

1711457429520.png

The only other significant stat win for us, was in the marks. Adam Simpson’s genius premiership game-plan proved superior once again, as we played the game on our terms with our familiar chip-mark-chip-mark style.

1711457582522.png

Oh, and there was one other stat the Bulldogs won, which will shock all of you:

1711457617633.png

I personally can’t wait to see Cody Weightman kick 5 first quarter goals, all of them from incorrectly paid free kicks! (Cope and seethe, I know)

CAN WE DO IT AGAIN?

Of course we can. Our form suggests otherwise, but if you don’t tune in with that glimmer of hope every week, then you might as well not tune in at all. Obviously, a lot needs to go right for us to take home the choccies this week. The main thing we need to work on is our turnovers. Not necessarily how many we’re making, because the Giants actually made one more than we did last week.

1711457695349.png

We need to stop making them in the middle of the ground and leaving ourselves wide open to the counter-attack through the corridor. Our turnovers cost us 33 points in the first half alone against the Giants.

I believe this is going to be a trend we continue to see for the foreseeable future, if Simmo continues with this new game plan. There will be some pain while our young midfield adjusts to this new, bolder style (dare I call it Bazball like???) I’m a fan of it, and I’d rather lose heavily trying something new than just continue going through the motions like we have been for the past 3 years. It’s new, it’s exciting, and I think the short term pain will be worth it when we start to string it all together.

The Dogs are fresh off a comprehensive win over Dimma’s Prodigal Sons Suns in Ballarat. The Dogs smashed the Suns all over the park, comprehensively winning the clearances, possessions, marks, and tackles despite leading for the entire game. They were hungry, and showed they’re a serious side once again.

But... they haven’t seen our secret weapon: a 19 year old with a s**t moustache and a hairline that’s giving up quicker than Luke Shuey’s hamstrings did.

MEET COBY BURGIEL

1711457811038.png

He’s exciting, he’s young, he’s fast, and he’s (hopefully) making his debut this week. * RECORD SCRATCH * due to unforeseen circumstances (having his appendix removed under a shroud of mystery), Coby Burgiel will sadly not feature for the foreseeable future.

IMG_1844.jpeg

The young lad from Gippsland was taken with pick 29 in the 2022 National Draft. He only played 3 senior games in the WAFL last season, but managed to average a solid 20 touches and 4 marks, and has been at the top of everyone’s weekly inclusions following a solid pre-season with the Beagles. This is a real shame, because we could really ******* use someone like him right now.

IMG_0596.jpeg

WILL WE DO IT AGAIN?

This game will be a more true representation of where we’re at than the Giants game was, in my opinion. The Giants are quite rightly the Premiership favourites, and they came to the West with a point to prove after their shock loss to us last year.

The Bulldogs have been a bit of a bogey team for us in recent years, but we showed in Round 23 that we can take it up to them, and beat them, on their home patch. Sure, we don’t have some key personnel, but we’ve gained one of the most exciting young prospects in recent years in Harley Reid. We’ve got more green shoots waiting in the wings, waiting to stake their claim. Will we do it again? Probably not, but hey, we’ve got Harley Reid now, so 61 touches and 19 goals from him will just about seal the deal.

Prediction: Eagles by 1 goal for every mark Jack Darling takes (so probably like 2 goals), Luke Beveridge to pelt a half full Gatroade bottle at Tom Morris in the presser.

1711457973566.png

Last edited:
FINAL LINEUPS

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: B. Dale / L. Jones / B. Williams
HB: L. Bramble / B. Khamis / J. Johannisen
C: H. Gallagher / A. Treloar / O. Baker
HF: R. Sanders / A. Naughton / C. Weightman
F: R. West / J. Ugle-Hagan / L. Vandermeer
FOL: T. English / M. Bontempelli / T. Liberatore
INT: C. Daniel / S. Darcy / T. Dureya / J. Macrae / C. Poulter (sub)
EMG: R. Garcia / J. O’Donnell / R. Lobb

IN: T. Dureya / J. Macrae
OUT: N. Coffield (inj) / E. Richards (inj)

WEST COAST EAGLES
B: C. Jamieson / T. Barrass / T. Cole
HB: B. Hough / J. McGovern / J. Jones
C: L. Duggan / T. Kelly / J. Hunt
HF: H. Reid / J. Waterman / N. Long
F: J. Petruccelle / J. Darling / J. Cripps
FOL: B. Williams / E. Yeo / R. Ginbey

INT: T. Brockman / C. Chesser / J. Williams / R. Maric / L. Edwards (sub)
EMG: H. Johnston

IN: J. Williams
OUT: H. Barnett (omitted)

Last edited:

We generally play well at Marvel and ambushed the Dogs there last year. However I fear they might be up for a flat tracking this Sunday and we’ll be Easter lambs to the slaughter.

Hoping I’m wrong.

We generally play well at Marvel and ambushed the Dogs there last year. However I fear they might be up for a flat tracking this Sunday and we’ll be Easter lambs to the slaughter.

Hoping I’m wrong.

Marvel and Optus are the only places we have won since we beat Adelaide in 2021 at AO, plus we have had some close losses at Marvel in that time. At this stage I think we play our best footy at Marvel. The big open spaces at Optus seem to expose our lack of outside run and polish.

Dogs will be fired up. Bevo will be showing their performance from last year. Strange to think that was only 5 rounds ago. They’ll be looking for revenge and to put a bit of respect back on their name.

Marvel and Optus are the only places we have won since we beat Adelaide in 2021 at AO, plus we have had some close losses at Marvel in that time. At this stage I think we play our best footy at Marvel. The big open spaces at Optus seem to expose our lack of outside run and polish.

Dogs will be fired up. Bevo will be showing their performance from last year. Strange to think that was only 5 rounds ago. They’ll be looking for revenge and to put a bit of respect back on their name.

Yeah, for us to get anywhere near them, our skills would need to improve a hell of a lot. Our handball skills are woeful. I just
wonder how much extra practice they do on it, not much I fear. I remember reading about Barry Cable and how he would spend hours on handballing a footy through his car window, and it showed out on game day. He was the best exponent of handball I have ever seen, over any distance. He was just deadly with it.

the emotional rollercoaster of thinking we had lost Harley only for norf to hand him straight back
A cluster of a day for me. I went to the WB game but already agreed to go to the Haw-Mel game afterwards because I got free tickets. So I was like yeah, I’ll watch the first half at Marvel and see the eagles get flogged, and then hop on the tram to the G afterwards.

Didn’t realise we were actually going to play well, so then it sucked to leave, and then when I checked the scores once I got to thr G it was panic stations knowing we had missed out on Harley.

So not only did I feel guilty for not seeing us win in the last quarter, I would’ve felt guilty for not enjoying it if I did.

Then when Norf won I felt stupid for both missing the last quarter and not enjoying finding out we won

Yeah, for us to get anywhere near them, our skills would need to improve a hell of a lot. Our handball skills are woeful. I just
wonder how much extra practice they do on it, not much I fear. I remember reading about Barry Cable and how he would spend hours on handballing a footy through his car window, and it showed out on game day. He was the best exponent of handball I have ever seen, over any distance. He was just deadly with it.
VictorianCollections-large.jpg
Think that was Polly's thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, him too. The 2 best exponents then if it makes you feel better. I watched them both live - both phenomenal with the handball. Farmer being credited with revolutionizing the game through handball.

And people call me old

Yeah, him too. The 2 best exponents then if it makes you feel better. I watched them both live - both phenomenal with the handball. Farmer being credited with revolutionizing the game through handball.
My grandfather used to play with Polly Farmer in Maddington before Farmer played in the WAFL and VFL. My grandfather was a rover. He used to love telling me that story.

B: Jamieson, Barrass, Cole
HB: Duggan, McGovern, Hough
C: Ginbey, Kelly, Hunt
HF: Cripps, Waterman, Maric
F: Petrucelle, Darling, Brockman
R: Williams, Reid, Yeo
I (fr): Jones, Barnett, Chesser, Edwards, Long, Witherden, Jilliams, Johnston

Tomorrow: No changes to the 23. Maric to switch with Long as the sub.

One or both of Witherden (experienced coverage) or Johnston (trip home plus experience around the senior side) to travel with the side. The rest including Jilliams to stay home and play Swan Districts on Saturday.

(Johnston over Burgiel because the latter needs some continuity, so I don’t want him missing a week of footy).

Some more squad members to fly over to join the squad in Melbourne ahead of Gather Round.

Gaff not to be included in the extended squad to avoid 24 hours of talk about whether or not he’ll be recalled.

No changes for me. Maric was seen training with WAFL forwards, and if we are keen to give him a full game the only change will be Maric for Williams as sub.

Given the boys are heading to Vic for 8!days before going to SA I think we will have a pretty settled 23 for the next couple of games.

We seem to play well at Marvel. Could be closer than people expect.

No changes for me. Maric was seen training with WAFL forwards, and if we are keen to give him a full game the only change will be Maric for Williams as sub.

Given the boys are heading to Vic for 8!days before going to SA I think we will have a pretty settled 23 for the next couple of games.

We seem to play well at Marvel. Could be closer than people expect.

Maric training with the WAFL forwards is irrelevant for team selection and is an indicator of a journalist not paying proper attention

It was mentioned in the training notes from Tuesday article in the West.

The first session of the week in season is a recovery one and it is usual for the guys who played WAFL to train separately from the AFL side especially when they played on different days

Maric would’ve joined with the WAFL guys on Tuesday because as sub, he had less playing time than the rest of the AFL team

Maric training with the WAFL forwards is irrelevant for team selection and is an indicator of a journalist not paying proper attention

It was mentioned in the training notes from Tuesday article in the West.

The first session of the week in season is a recovery one and it is usual for the guys who played WAFL to train separately from the AFL side especially when they played on different days

Maric would’ve joined with the WAFL guys on Tuesday because as sub, he had less playing time than the rest of the AFL team

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying!

Wonder if Macrae will play after almost 50 touches in the VFL. Hopefully that’s the sort of return our senior blokes will get when they drop back to the WAFL

Great preview! And to think Crippsy often gets slagged here as a lazy fumbling seagull campaigner?
Bacon/eggs/coffee and a morning footy match with the Doggies and Master Harley, that's ok!
Hope Cole pulls his pants up?

Wonder if Macrae will play after almost 50 touches in the VFL. Hopefully that’s the sort of return our senior blokes will get when they drop back to the WAFL

Some talk yesterday that the Bont will miss and McRae will come in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back