Game Day Round 3, 2024: West Coast vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One arm up in a marking contest 60m from the opposition goal after we go long and to the right from the kick in.

Oooooft

The Simpsons Beer GIF

EXTENDED LINEUPS

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: B. Dale / L. Jones / B. Williams
HB: L. Bramble / B. Khamis / J. Johannisen
C: H. Gallagher / A. Treloar / O. Baker
HF: R. Sanders / A. Naughton / C. Weightman
F: R. West / J. Ugle-Hagan / L. Vandermeer
FOL: T. English / M. Bontempelli / T. Liberatore
INT: C. Daniel / S. Darcy / T. Dureya / J. Macrae / C. Poulter
EMG: R. Garcia / J. O’Donnell / R. Lobb

IN: T. Dureya / J. Macrae
OUT: N. Coffield (inj) / E. Richards (inj)

WEST COAST EAGLES
B: C. Jamieson / T. Barrass / T. Cole
HB: B. Hough / J. McGovern / J. Jones
C: L. Duggan / T. Kelly / J. Hunt
HF: H. Reid / J. Waterman / N. Long
F: J. Petruccelle / J. Darling / J. Cripps
FOL: B. Williams / E. Yeo / R. Ginbey

INT: T. Brockman / L. Edwards / C. Chesser / J. Williams / R. Maric
EMG: H. Johnston

IN: J. Williams
OUT: H. Barnett (omitted)
Line-ups have been posted

He’s turned the footy a but and has been lost in a few contests but overall I like the look of Jamo in defence. He looks like the modern prototype KPP with his height athleticism and mobility. For guy new to the role he seems to read the play pretty well and has shown that he can intercept as well. I’d like to see him backed in as much this season and eventually play on one of opposing best forwards.

Interesting to see how edwards goes in the WAFL now. Seems to have bulked up a bit and reports over present was that he was looking good

We've got a classic prisoners dilemma on ours hands with JD. Simmo wants to play the youth but also wants to kick Sumich in the balls for all the s**t he's been talking in the worst. Says look JD you are 3 goals short of the record and 10 games short of 300, I can't be letting you have both cause Don said I shouldn't be playing you at all but you can definitely move up behind JK on goals. An underrated genius if ever there was one, JD calculates that if he kicks slightly under 1 goal per 3 games he gets to have his cake and eat it too.

We've got a classic prisoners dilemma on ours hands with JD. Simmo wants to play the youth but also wants to kick Sumich in the balls for all the s**t he's been talking in the worst. Says look JD you are 3 goals short of the record and 10 games short of 300, I can't be letting you have both cause Don said I shouldn't be playing you at all but you can definitely move up behind JK on goals. An underrated genius if ever there was one, JD calculates that if he kicks slightly under 1 goal per 3 games he gets to have his cake and eat it too.

Needs 21 games to reach 300

Debatable whether he gets there

The way our lads fall off a cliff at 30 is insane. Both Gaff and JD looked like they were a shoe in for 300 and now both will miss out. 31 isn’t really old for players in other sides. Love Jack but tge way he’s been playing last few years he doesn’t deserve to play 300 but also praying he can find some decent form for our season sake

The way our lads fall off a cliff at 30 is insane.
It’s not just us, look at Fyfe. Went from being one of the best players of the modern era to someone who’s being subbed off in the 3rd quarter in about 2 seasons. I know injuries are part of that as well but flying across the country every 2nd week takes a toll.

Even Pavlich had to be nursed to 300 by only playing home games towards the end of his career.

It’s not just us, look at Fyfe. Went from being one of the best players of the modern era to someone who’s being subbed off in the 3rd quarter in about 2 seasons. I know injuries are part of that as well but flying across the country every 2nd week takes a toll.

Even Pavlich had to be nursed to 300 by only playing home games towards the end of his career.
And yet not only do we get the same soft cap as all the other teams with no travel burden, but we also suffered cuts just to accommodate the beggar clubs who can't even pay their own way. Disgraceful competition.

Needs 21 games to reach 300

Debatable whether he gets there

Lol. A good gag spoiled by misinformation, someone told me 290 today and I didn't think to check. Might put this on ice for 10 weeks and wait and see whether Jack adds to his goal tally.

I think those two are poor examples. Pav retired a couple months shy of his 35th birthday with 350 games. Which is what Hawkins is about to do.

Fyfe’s style of playing isn’t really built fir longevity but he has had so many injuries.

To me Gaff and Darling have both succumbing to the same things. One is the game evolving away from the type of players they are for their respective positions. The other big factor is their durability for most part of their careers with being able to play with serious niggles and injuriyhave finally caught up with bodies. Players naturally slow down with age but at that age it’s not as drastic for lot of players. Both have slowed down immensely to the point Jack looks so slow against bigger key defenders

I think those two are poor examples. Pav retired a couple months shy of his 35th birthday with 350 games. Which is what Hawkins is about to do.

Fyfe’s style of playing isn’t really built fir longevity but he has had so many injuries.

To me Gaff and Darling have both succumbing to the same things. One is the game evolving away from the type of players they are for their respective positions. The other big factor is their durability for most part of their careers with being able to play with serious niggles and injuriyhave finally caught up with bodies. Players naturally slow down with age but at that age it’s not as drastic for lot of players. Both have slowed down immensely to the point Jack looks so slow against bigger key defenders
Fair points

The way our lads fall off a cliff at 30 is insane. Both Gaff and JD looked like they were a shoe in for 300 and now both will miss out. 31 isn’t really old for players in other sides. Love Jack but tge way he’s been playing last few years he doesn’t deserve to play 300 but also praying he can find some decent form for our season sake
Hurn is the only WC player I can think of who aged like a fine wine. Actually got better in many ways as he got closer to 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurn is the only WC player I can think of who aged like a fine wine. Actually got better in many ways as he got closer to 30.
Yeah he seem to have injuries early in his career but his body seemed to settle down around the time Simmo came and when he got the captaincy. His footy improved soon as he got it basically

And yet not only do we get the same soft cap as all the other teams with no travel burden, but we also suffered cuts just to accommodate the beggar clubs who can't even pay their own way. Disgraceful competition.

Travel can solved in part by WA teams doubling up in Perth on occasions.

Take this weekend as an example - Dockers play today we play Sunday but in Perth. Make those sorts of arrangements a couple of times per year and the WA teams could easily drop two trips each year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not sure how much of JKK's knee issues were strictly travel related but he could have played until 40 and still our best option if not for that. Definitely a player who continued to get better as he aged and more so than Hurn if you measured their output at a given age over 30. Darling has trended in the opposite direction, had a good 2019 and has always been a quality forward but his best 2 years outside of that were his first and second. You just don't get taller as you age so if you're getting slower and weaker as defenders coming through the system are getting bigger that's a cliff you're going to fall off.

Take this weekend as an example - Dockers play today we play Sunday but in Perth. Make those sorts of arrangements a couple of times per year and the WA teams could easily drop two trips each year.

I’d be offering North, Saints, Bulldogs, Suns, GWS the “opportunity” to play home games at Optus when the Eagles are up and about. They’d get 50,000 gate sales instead of 10-20,000 and no doubt could be topped up. Good for their bottom line and would help address the travel factor.

I’d be offering North, Saints, Bulldogs, Suns, GWS the “opportunity” to play home games at Optus when the Eagles are up and about. They’d get 50,000 gate sales instead of 10-20,000 and no doubt could be topped up. Good for their bottom line and would help address the travel factor.
From memory, one of the teams (Gold Coast or North?) wanted to do that a year or two ago and play their home game against us over here? The AFL said no.

Yesterday Suma actually admitted he has gone to hard on Darling over the last 18 months

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From memory, one of the teams (Gold Coast or North?) wanted to do that a year or two ago and play their home game against us over here? The AFL said no.

Correct - ‘‘twas Norfs.

It was at a time they were shizen and couldn’t draw a crowd.

Oops - just realised that clue may not help much.

Isn't darling contracted for next year ?

He is but…

He’s a borderline selection now and no guarantee to play every game this year even if he doesn’t pick up an injury. Only makes 300 this year if he plays every game

So means he likely has to play next year to reach 300 and unless he turns around his form there may well be a discussion on whether he continues given he’ll be at even greater risk of playing WAFL

There’s a lot of footy still to be played this year but on available evidence a respectful retirement might be a better option than spending 2025 in the twos

How would that change the travel burden?

How would that change the travel burden?

Less flights but away from home for longer and the playing group split into two training groups with some away and others still in Perth

It’s worth trialling but it’s not a perfect solution to the travel burden

Tassie coming In won’t help travel either. People already talking 20th team and cairns being thrown as one area. That would makes things even more harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back