Game Day Round 3, 2024: West Coast vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite liked when Darling goes up the field and chases the footy. He did it in a game last year and it was one of his best.

How would that change the travel burden?

In the example shown - WCE have one less flight east as they play Bulldogs here and not in Melbourne.

Repeat on another long weekend and Dockers, instead of playing in Melbourne play in Perth and they have one less flight east too.

VFL probably wouldn’t cop this - despite the increased likelihood of a crowd of circa 40000 v minnow count in east.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d be offering North, Saints, Bulldogs, Suns, GWS the “opportunity” to play home games at Optus when the Eagles are up and about. They’d get 50,000 gate sales instead of 10-20,000 and no doubt could be topped up. Good for their bottom line and would help address the travel factor.
We tried that when QLD had the Comm games and AFL said no.

Also tried that with the Dees once, same outcome...

Travel can solved in part by WA teams doubling up in Perth on occasions.

Take this weekend as an example - Dockers play today we play Sunday but in Perth. Make those sorts of arrangements a couple of times per year and the WA teams could easily drop two trips each year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
If the vAFL want equality then they need to redefine home games. Any game in your home state should be considered a home game. The Gather Round has already started to muddy the waters in that way.

Agree to rotate Gather Round across the states meaning we are working on 22 games plus a floater.

I will use Collingwood as an example

This year, Collingwood play
Home games 17
MCG 14
Marvel 3

Away games 6
QLD 2
NSW 2
WA 1
SA none v SA teams but a token home game v Hawks

Assessment is 17 games with no travel and 3 more with a flight of just over 1 hour.

Make the Pies play 2 more interstate games for a split of 15 home and 8 away. That means every Victorian team would need to play each 8 interstate teams away from Victoria every season.

Eagles get 2 more games in WA plus both derby legs are called home games for a total games in WA as 14 (1 less than Pies)

With the derby, I would love Optus stadium to have equal fans and have a real atmosphere. I lived in Melbourne for 10 years and it is so much better when it is balanced and not 1 sided

Outcome is to give all interstate teams 2 extra home games and split the home games in Melbourne as both teams having home games.

All interstate clubs to split the local derby/showdown etc to joint home teams (half the members get to go to each game) so for us we would have 14 home games - 10 normal, 2 derbies and 2 extras. That would leave us with 9 interstate games.

Now for the elephant in the room. The AFL need to address the MCC membership seat allocation. The allocation for MCC members is the main reason games that are supposed sell outs only get 85 to 90,000 at the games. Giving less to the MCC means that each Melbourne club get to sell 40,000 games to members each year for 15 games (maybe only 30,000 for Marvel)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sport for the horses, not the jockies.

Sport for the Owners and Trainers who accept all the accolades and prize money..
I’m sure the horses would prefer to relax and be just a horse in the paddock swatting flies ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is but…

He’s a borderline selection now and no guarantee to play every game this year even if he doesn’t pick up an injury. Only makes 300 this year if he plays every game

So means he likely has to play next year to reach 300 and unless he turns around his form there may well be a discussion on whether he continues given he’ll be at even greater risk of playing WAFL

There’s a lot of footy still to be played this year but on available evidence a respectful retirement might be a better option than spending 2025 in the twos
Unfortunately for us darling is only 191cms and built his game on beating bigger opponents through strength and athletic prowess.

He seems to have lost his athletic ability due to age and has only waterman to share the load who is pretty much darling from wish .

Having Allen out , 2 x third talls ( darling , waterman ) as your focal points in attack and poor supply in quantity and quality really makes it hard for anyone in our forward line .

Hopefully they use big boy Jack Williams as the focal point in attack for an extended run .

Also fix the supply issue 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately for us darling is only 191cms and built his game on beating bigger opponents through strength and athletic prowess.

He seems to have lost his athletic ability due to age and has only waterman to share the load who is pretty much darling from wish .

Having Allen out , 2 x third talls ( darling , waterman ) as your focal points in attack and poor supply in quantity and quality really makes it hard for anyone in our forward line .

Hopefully they use big boy Jack Williams as the focal point in attack for an extended run .

Also fix the supply issue 🤷‍♂️

Darling still is damn strong, I'm not worried there. Very much agreed about athletic prowess though.

Waterman is a weird comparison for mine. Apart from height, I'd almost say they have opposite game styles.

OA is a huge out. Along with losing Flynn, it seem like we lost the two players most important to maintaining our preferred structure. What a blow at the start of season.

I would like to see JW given an extended run too.

If the vAFL want equality then they need to redefine home games. Any game in your home state should be considered a home game. The Gather Round has already started to muddy the waters in that way.
I like this definition. I see Home Ground Advantage manifesting in three ways
1. Knowledge of the peculiarities of the home ground - shape, size, wind etc.
2. The crowd being mostly one-sided - the so-called ’noise of affirmation’.
3. No travel meaning immediate access to club facilities AND sleeping in your own bed. This is the biggest advantage.

So HGAs really only exist for matches against out of state competitors.

And in breaking news … Vic teams DO have HGAs against non-Vic sides. I know this might be a surprise to the vAFL media who only seem to mention HGA for matches outside Vic.

Interesting article by Malthouse in todays rag. He suggests we swap JD and Gov over. I think it’s a great idea.
That's right out of the old Malthouse playbook.

I'm not convinced as Darling looks to have lost all athletic abilities. Also need to have a bit of mongrel and he's as hard as a marshmallow these days.

The noise of affirmation (directed at Optus/WA teams) was just about the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard from the Vic-centric AFL!?
Collingwood anyone?

Off-topic but how was the poor skill levels, decision making and disposal/turnovers last night by both teams - Freo and Crows. I swear at times it was worse than ours! Some comfort there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back