Round 4: Lions v Suns (Q-Clash 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair to the Dogs' supporters, there were many of them who weren't particularly happy with their club's response to the round 1 nomination.

I can imagine that it would have been quite embarrassing for most. Some fans on the BigFooty main board were also toeing the club line, which wuold also have been embarrassing for most fans I would imagine.

Yeah, he's pretty unfashionable. I can easily see us storming AFL Headquarters after round 22.
I think the general format for nominations is if one of the top 10 draft picks from the previous year plays a beauty they get selected, if not then it falls back to those still eligible from 2 drafts ago.

Golby unfashionable? Would he be any less fashionable than a Dylan Grimes?

Got a feeling Golby will be overlooked this year unless they are really scratching for a nomination.
I think the opposite.

I think the committee would be happy to tuck Golby away for a nomination later in the year. He is in the 22 without doubt, is solid with his stats, plays on the better forwards in the competition each week and is going to have a body of work that will easily justify a nomination whenever they have a quiet week. He is exactly the type of slightly under the radar guy that they can slot in when they need someone.

I'm sure Golby will get nominated if he produces a performance like that against better opposition.

Even though he hasn't been nominated yet, the way Polec is building you'd think he'd be a fair chance to win the thing.

I think the opposite.

I think the committee would be happy to tuck Golby away for a nomination later in the year. He is in the 22 without doubt, is solid with his stats, plays on the better forwards in the competition each week and is going to have a body of work that will easily justify a nomination whenever they have a quiet week. He is exactly the type of slightly under the radar guy that they can slot in when they need someone.
The problem with that logic is that you assume that there will be a week where a particular player doesn't stand out and that there aren't others with equally deserving multiple game cases. Libba proved last year that, despite playing the majority of games, a good, consistent performer can miss out.

Back pockets aren't sexy. They don't stand out. They can do their job and no-one notices. I can easily see Golby missing out.

These are some of the names who have had OK starts to the year:

Bugg
Greene
Shiel
Coniglio
Stevens
D Smith
Caddy
Ellis
Polec
Motlop
Guthrie
Tomlinson
Wingard

And these are some of the "big name" youngsters who we're yet to really hear from:

Patton
Hoskin-Elliot
Buntine
Butcher
Longer
Docherty
Adams
Mitchell
Day
Treloar

And that would be a non-exhaustive list.

I'm not writing Golby off. But he could retain his spot in the side all year and simply miss out because he doesn't attract attention.

ace you star !! well done lad but as many have said back it up boyo.

maybe i am not your only fan !! haha . as i have been saying the presence of 2 key forwards made all the difference to our structure !!

well done lads

maybe i am not your only fan !! haha . as i have been saying the presence of 2 key forwards made all the difference to our structure !!

Three key forwards (Merrett)... I think Cornelius benefited massively from being the third tall rather than bringing him in as our #1 or #2 target. If he'd had Warnock or Bock on him life probably would've been tougher. That's part of the reason I don't mind Merrett remaining forward - bringing in Longer would expose Cornelius to the #2 defender, which is a lot tougher for a 21 year old kid to compete with in most teams.

Three key forwards (Merrett)... I think Cornelius benefited massively from being the third tall rather than bringing him in as our #1 or #2 target. If he'd had Warnock or Bock on him life probably would've been tougher. That's part of the reason I don't mind Merrett remaining forward - bringing in Longer would expose Cornelius to the #2 defender, which is a lot tougher for a 21 year old kid to compete with in most teams.

Ace did have Bock on him for a while. Beat him a few times (one courtesy of a good block from Todd). Do agree that having the 3rd on him is a benefit though.

Ace did have Bock on him for a while. Beat him a few times (one courtesy of a good block from Todd). Do agree that having the 3rd on him is a benefit though.

Whilst probably not an out and out defender, Ace did play on Brennan for a fair portion of the match, who is no slouch either and even after wacthing the replay after the game, the commentators seemed pretty enthused that Ace gave Brennan a hiding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst probably not an out and out defender, Ace did play on Brennan for a fair portion of the match, who is no slouch either and even after wacthing the replay after the game, the commentators seemed pretty enthused that Ace gave Brennan a hiding.

Brennan as an accountable defender these days rates just above trusting Fev as the night manager at a brothel. And I say that as someone who still has a huge soft spot for Brennan (and yes, I know he had a good game on Tarrant as a rookie).

Let's be blunt. Ablett got his injury in going for a very deliberate kick to Raines' ribs. Quite clear in the replay.

Karma.

Sorry TFB, but the replay and Fox slomo show my assertion is correct.

Sorry Tassie, but both of your statements require an 'IMO'.

If Ablett was trying to kick (with his boot) Raines in the ribs, he missed by about 60cms or so. He's far too coordinated than that. If instead he was trying to knee Raines in the chest he would have been bracing his leg such that a hyperextension wouldn't have been able to occur (15 years experience kneeing my older brother in various susceptible areas as a whipper snapper tells me so :D).

The only way for him to hyperextend the knee is for him to be leading with the foot but not expecting contact with the knee.

Ablett made a mistake in not going lower but I can not see a malicious kick there... Not at all.

I find that as hard to believe as the suggestions on the Suns board that Raines deliberately set out to injure Ablett by falling across his legs.

Like the Rohan injury, it was a fair contest. Can only be chalked up as a "s**t happens" situation.

Like the Rohan injury, it was a fair contest. Can only be chalked up as a "s**t happens" situation.

No it CAN'T!!!!!!!!

You have to blame SOMEONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's ALWAYS someones fault!!!!!!!!!! It can't be NO ONES fault!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

I can kind of see how you might think that, but in a game played out in real time, but analysed in slow motion, I can't believe that the intent was anything but the ball. He even checks the motion when he notices Raines coming in from the side.

[YOUTUBE]Ts81CF7qqYI[/YOUTUBE]

In context: Ablett spent much of his night including during the breaks whinging to the umps about Raines (who I thought tagged him only loosely).

My supposition is he attempted to even up independently. I agree Ablett is far too coordinated to accidentally kick Raines. He clearly made contact, albeit with only a relatively minor boot, but misjudged Raines' roll.

And yes there is a guilty party- Yablett.

IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back