Round 4 The Sydney Swans vs. The Carlton Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep game is saturday arvo shall be nice

Cuz is just getting some fitness into him as his groin was causing his some trouble and hampered his pre season...once he has a few more games in the ressies to rebuild he'll be right to go...just looks a little tired atm...but he will get games this year...many people on this board Myself included are very very excited to see CRUSHING ON CURRIE lol Debut

It actually wouldn't surprise me if we played LRT as the backup ruckman. Who could he take in defence? Bolts goes on Fevelenko, and there's not much else, especially in the height department.

LRT played better on Saturday night when freed up and sent upfield, and then later pinch-hitting in the ruck.

I've always maintained he was a key defender, but maybe with experience and his improving skills (especially off the boot), there's some possibility of him being used as a running midfield battering ram type.

He has a pretty big engine, and his mobility has been there from his rugby days. This might seem a left-field suggestion, and he was terrific in the first two rounds in defence, but if we play Bolton and Richards in the key defensive posts, and maybe swing ROK to the halfback line ... I dunno, I'm just speculating here.

It's going to be a bit of an experimental season, and at some point we've got to bring Currie and Murphy in, and also keep Grundy and White.

LRT would be loose man in defence before he is considered a ruck option.
Maybe push teddy forward to stretch their defence.

I do not feel we can win this I don't know why :(
We need a firing midfield to provide plenty of ball to our forwards and a rebounding backline to expose their forward line. Easier said then done goodes need to be influential and okeefe too no excuses rhino

LRT was playing in the ruck on Saturday against the Lions for a short time, so it's not of the question.

I think we might try and exploit there undersized defense, I gotta feeling they will bring in Ohapplin to play on a relatively inexpierienced White, that should produce some fireworks if it happens...

One thing that remains critical of Carlton is reverse midfield pressure. They don't have it and Bentick, who is not rated by Carlton fans, is an exception to the rule but is not fit.

Shut down roles will be required on Judd and Gibbs but Goodes and J.Bolton can get some run and If ROK comes to the party along with Bird we can get the ball forward.

I don't think we can afford to score lowly though so we need to kick a 100+ to win this and we need to be efficient in front of goal.

there is an article in todays paper with Goodes saying he'd love to go head to head with Judd, 'let off the chain', I gotta feeling from reading into the whole article, Goodes has primed himself up for this game! Go Bloods

there is an article in todays paper with Goodes saying he'd love to go head to head with Judd, 'let off the chain', I gotta feeling from reading into the whole article, Goodes has primed himself up for this game! Go Bloods

remember in '06 when goodes in brownlow form was matched up against judd.... came off second best (twice)

rather see kirk or somebody shut judd down.... let goodes do the hird thing, and let him do his own thing

Load of bollocks from Goodes. It'd be nice to think he could simply get fired up and ready to play a full four-quarter game, against any opponent on any other team.

Goodes makes a habit once or twice a season, esepcially when he's had a bad game or two, of coming out in the press talking up some aspect of his game that he vows to improve, and yet he seems to have become more inconsistent as he gets older.

Just get on with playing your best football.

Either way, hes due for a big game, champions dont stay quiet for too many games in a row!

LRT was playing in the ruck on Saturday against the Lions for a short time, so it's not of the question.

yeah when hall was off in the last quarter to rest his groin and give white a go as full forward while jolly was off or resting.. The game was over anyways.. I dunno I might be wrong I'm can't remember properly.

LRT played better on Saturday night when freed up and sent upfield, and then later pinch-hitting in the ruck.

I've always maintained he was a key defender, but maybe with experience and his improving skills (especially off the boot), there's some possibility of him being used as a running midfield battering ram type.

He has a pretty big engine, and his mobility has been there from his rugby days. This might seem a left-field suggestion, and he was terrific in the first two rounds in defence, but if we play Bolton and Richards in the key defensive posts, and maybe swing ROK to the halfback line ... I dunno, I'm just speculating here.

It's going to be a bit of an experimental season, and at some point we've got to bring Currie and Murphy in, and also keep Grundy and White.

Richards does a great job as a loose defender who pinch hits around the ground so I don't see much point in swapping roles with LRT who is a better body on body defender than Richards.

Richards does a great job as a loose defender who pinch hits around the ground so I don't see much point in swapping roles with LRT who is a better body on body defender than Richards.

I can see Richards having his hands full enough as it is with Wiggins on the weekend.

LRT did provide some good drive off halfback against Hawthorn and with no obvious matchup he might make a good loose man in defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see Richards having his hands full enough as it is with Wiggins on the weekend.

LRT did provide some good drive off halfback against Hawthorn and with no obvious matchup he might make a good loose man in defence.

I was making the assumption Bateman's suggestion wasn't specific to the Carlton game. Perhaps I'm wrong (a highly unlikely scenario)

yeah theirs something about the gibbs injury it on the main board.

I'd like to see Thornton given a go, but he's still on the rookie list is he not?

I'd like to see Thornton given a go, but he's still on the rookie list is he not?

It's unfortunate for him if he misses out, but I have seen nothing in what Thornton has done for Sydney in his limited time to suggest he's anything more than a battler.

I'd rather Tim Schmidt if he's fit, or young Hannebury.

The likes of Laidlaw, Thornton, Brabazon, DOK and N Smith, injury-affected or not, are surely well back in the queue now, having shown little in the several years they've been on our list.

He's been promoted from the rookie list and I would think is a big chance to replace Crouch in a run-with role. Pyke is the other in they would be strongly considering. Not sure about Ablett's status.

It's unfortunate for him if he misses out, but I have seen nothing in what Thornton has done for Sydney in his limited time to suggest he's anything more than a battler.

I'd rather Tim Schmidt if he's fit, or young Hannebury.

The likes of Laidlaw, Thornton, Brabazon, DOK and N Smith, injury-affected or not, are surely well back in the queue now, having shown little in the several years they've been on our list.

Thornton has made the Best list for Reserves twice at least i believe so far this year so he's going ok it seems.

Well Hannebery is nowhere near ready for senior football yet surely, he is onnly 17 and besides Roosy has said that only a huge injury list will allow him to play this year.

If Laidlaw, Thornton etc. are well back in the list then who is in front of them? That seems like a fairly large group of our young fringe mids (with Schmidt injured and Hanneberry too young).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back