Review Round 5, 2018: Box Hill Hawks v Sandringham, 5 May 2018, 2pm @ Box Hill City Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Brand did some ok things and was quite vocal trying to lead the defence. But he made some poor skill errors. That kick to mirra in the highlights was just not on. Absolutely no need for it to the extent that Chris Newman singled him out at 3/4 time and said "that kick...that is not how we play". Lo and behold come the last quarter more of the same from KB with a similar poor choice and poor execution. Dropped an easy chest mark up back too. Looked scratchy as he always tends to so needs a run of games to get confidence back.

Brand played CHF as a kid from memory. We tagged him as a defender early but I wonder if it would be worth a go playing him up forward?

Brand played CHF as a kid from memory. We tagged him as a defender early but I wonder if it would be worth a go playing him up forward?

In the Dev Squad he was used as a bit of a swingman. I like KB down back, just needs to tweak a few things and get a tad more assertive. Got some great tools. Mitch Lewis looks very very promising. That over-head mark on the lead screams class and strength. Would prefer Nash down back as his closing speed would be a weapon, happy for him to learn up forward. Two of these three come good and we are in a very happy place.

He was clearly looking to play a rebounding role which agree is great. He does not seem blessed with the art of knowing when to pull the trigger on a risky kick and being able to execute like the guys that play this role successfully do. It is about game feel. Sic and Burton might have 1 howler a game at the top level. Brand had a few against a poor side at the next level down. Shows he has work to do to make it up at the next level. His main competition at the top level Frawley is poor at it so he isn't all that far behind his direct competition in reality.
Yes its what he needs to do going forward to set him apart from Frawley. Its good to see. You need to get out of your comfort zone. Its really encouraging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back