Preview Round 6 2023: GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's my turn to do one of these previews, and I have drawn this charcoal and orange straw, and so in joining a recent movement and being true to my authentic self, I won't be pretending that I know about GWS's formline, or likely selection certainties and mainstays, or how they appear to be going this year, or last year, or their current captain, or what greater western Sydney even was before today. Instead I'm going to rely on how I 'feel' about this match next weekend that is a Giants home match but is being held in Canberra for some reason that I am sure somebody has explained to me before.

On the face of it I'm fairly bullish on a QLD outfit's chances of succeeding in any venture or undertaking against an opposing outfit from anywhere West of Strathfield. Or East of Burwood. Or East of Darlinghurst. Or South of Albury. So the win is a straight up certainty on those grounds without any argument at all. But for the sake of the intellectual exercise I have decided to look at some of our field structures so that we can create filler material out of that.

For the last couple of weeks my reading of Facebook has told me that our backs have begun to tighten their grip on the collective collar of the competition, led by Andrews as pe usual but suddenly, ably, supported by that Herculean unit Paine and the surprisingly reliable Joyce. With the addition of a cranky McKenna and Starcevich, a reliably penetrative (careful now) Rich, the velvet shackles of Coleman (and also he can kick the footy too), and the potential return of the dour, cantankerous, assertive, crankypants Gardner, the some'st maligned defensive unit do have that chemistry, flow, and daddy vibes that we were waiting for this year. Not knowing a lot about the GWS front six, all I can say is that the Brissy defenders would most effectively match up against, say, a slow and petulant anchor key forward who doesn't work very hard, and possible also an overstretched CFH who sits in the 'solid footsoldier' category. Probably the only thing that could allow us to match better would be one of those niggly captain small forwards with an aggro reputation who would try to ruffle the feathers of aformentioned crankypantses. Anyway, I'm sure everybody will have a fun time.

e5b9d043f70cbd674fb22f7dfe83440f

Twitter has been fairly reliable in keeping me up to date with how much more physical, hardworking and defensively minded our star-studded midfield has been 3 times out of 5, and also how Jow Biden has a few things going on right now? Anyway, the combination of Neale and Dunkley has really cranked into gear, and the occasional addition of Berry to that mix creates some much needed "* you and also the audacity that rode in on" to our midfield tone. On topf of this, Oscar's newfound realisation that he can simply reach up and grab the football, have a cup of tea and readjust his undies, before placing the footy on his boot and kicking it 80 meters has really done wonders for the mids' recovery rates. Furthermore, Ashcroft and Wilmott are such jets that even a slow-to-warm-up-to-the-point-of-notceable-absence-McCluggage's, uh, absence is barely noticeable.

I'm pretty sure that made sense. The pieces are all there.

I could imagine that were the Giants the type of midfield to want to win the hard contested ball, make like difficult for the opposition star mids at the coalface before finishing off their play with outside polish, skill and flair, the collective endeavour of the Lions inside and outside grunt will make for a wonderful and gentlemanly bloodbath. On a side note, apparently Coniglio and Whitfield are still lining up for the Giants. The last time I can clearly remember Coniglio playing was way back yonder when Daniel Merrett kicked 5 goals in a quarter, and even then Cogs looked like a 15 year veteran in the visible, non-metaphorical sense. Also Whitfield was still tossing up a career in psychopharmacology, or footy. Sliding doors, huh.

be95657d738f3b481898c6bb106bda24a4328ea7-16x9-x0y148w2839h1597.jpg

Spending a heap of time with the ressies regulars has told me that our hot and cold and sometimes frustrating midfield has been hot and cold and, sometimes, a little bit frustrating. And also that the Chelmer chippie quality has been dipping, which is quite upsetting actually. Notwithstanding said shitty chippies, Joe and Eric have really brought a bit of intent in these last couple of weeks, and as rangey and ungainly and non-Newtonian as they appear to be, they've been getting s**t done, which is a real delight to watch. As is Charlie and Cam doing what they do best, and Bailey slowly but surely but slowly regaining his form. About the only thing I miss seeing is Linc flying comically high and somehow landing it, but I'll just have to make do with watching him sprint like a maniac in tireless forward pressure. A quick look at the GWS team announcement tells me that their backline is anchored by something called a Sam Taylor, and a poor boy named Buckley who looks a bit confused a lot of the time. That poor boy.

0rkE8wI4.jpg

Look, at the end of the day Football, in addition to the Lions, will be the real winner here. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see a Demons/Collingwood style dismantling, even if it's just as simple a strategy as 'turn the pressure up to 11', which I honestly think is all that we are going to see next Saturday, and is all that will be needed. Then we can put all this silliness about football in Canberra and a 'greater western sydney football team' behind us. I'm sick of you guys trying to trick me.

Lions by 48 if Jekyl Lions show up.

Lions by the skin of their teeth, or a narrow loss if Hyde shows up.

Almost a decade in this job and I've finally been found out
Wait until you find out ZoBlitz can't count above two, and that's even with using all his fingers and toes.

Three certainties from this game:
1. We will win
2. The umpiring will be SHOCKING
3. I’ll spend more time reading my phone than watching

Pretty sure one of the three needs to be taxes or death or something.

dlanod is my ghost writer, and frankly I'm as surprised as you are
Are you sure? There are some coherent sentences in the review post. I'd contract your ghost writer to post on your behalf if I were you.

It's my turn to do one of these previews, and I have drawn this charcoal and orange straw, and so in joining a recent movement and being true to my authentic self, I won't be pretending that I know about GWS's formline, or likely selection certainties and mainstays, or how they appear to be going this year, or last year, or their current captain, or what greater western Sydney even was before today. Instead I'm going to rely on how I 'feel' about this match next weekend that is a Giants home match but is being held in Canberra for some reason that I am sure somebody has explained to me before.

On the face of it I'm fairly bullish on a QLD outfit's chances of succeeding in any venture or undertaking against an opposing outfit from anywhere West of Strathfield. Or East of Burwood. Or East of Darlinghurst. Or South of Albury. So the win is a straight up certainty on those grounds without any argument at all. But for the sake of the intellectual exercise I have decided to look at some of our field structures so that we can create filler material out of that.

For the last couple of weeks my reading of Facebook has told me that our backs have begun to tighten their grip on the collective collar of the competition, led by Andrews as pe usual but suddenly, ably, supported by that Herculean unit Paine and the surprisingly reliable Joyce. With the addition of a cranky McKenna and Starcevich, a reliably penetrative (careful now) Rich, the velvet shackles of Coleman (and also he can kick the footy too), and the potential return of the dour, cantankerous, assertive, crankypants Gardner, the some'st maligned defensive unit do have that chemistry, flow, and daddy vibes that we were waiting for this year. Not knowing a lot about the GWS front six, all I can say is that the Brissy defenders would most effectively match up against, say, a slow and petulant anchor key forward who doesn't work very hard, and possible also an overstretched CFH who sits in the 'solid footsoldier' category. Probably the only thing that could allow us to match better would be one of those niggly captain small forwards with an aggro reputation who would try to ruffle the feathers of aformentioned crankypantses. Anyway, I'm sure everybody will have a fun time.

e5b9d043f70cbd674fb22f7dfe83440f

Twitter has been fairly reliable in keeping me up to date with how much more physical, hardworking and defensively minded our star-studded midfield has been 3 times out of 5, and also how Jow Biden has a few things going on right now? Anyway, the combination of Neale and Dunkley has really cranked into gear, and the occasional addition of Berry to that mix creates some much needed "* you and also the audacity that rode in on" to our midfield tone. On topf of this, Oscar's newfound realisation that he can simply reach up and grab the football, have a cup of tea and readjust his undies, before placing the footy on his boot and kicking it 80 meters has really done wonders for the mids' recovery rates. Furthermore, Ashcroft and Wilmott are such jets that even a slow-to-warm-up-to-the-point-of-notceable-absence-McCluggage's, uh, absence is barely noticeable.

I'm pretty sure that made sense. The pieces are all there.

I could imagine that were the Giants the type of midfield to want to win the hard contested ball, make like difficult for the opposition star mids at the coalface before finishing off their play with outside polish, skill and flair, the collective endeavour of the Lions inside and outside grunt will make for a wonderful and gentlemanly bloodbath. On a side note, apparently Coniglio and Whitfield are still lining up for the Giants. The last time I can clearly remember Coniglio playing was way back yonder when Daniel Merrett kicked 5 goals in a quarter, and even then Cogs looked like a 15 year veteran in the visible, non-metaphorical sense. Also Whitfield was still tossing up a career in psychopharmacology, or footy. Sliding doors, huh.

be95657d738f3b481898c6bb106bda24a4328ea7-16x9-x0y148w2839h1597.jpg

Spending a heap of time with the ressies regulars has told me that our hot and cold and sometimes frustrating midfield has been hot and cold and, sometimes, a little bit frustrating. And also that the Chelmer chippie quality has been dipping, which is quite upsetting actually. Notwithstanding said shitty chippies, Joe and Eric have really brought a bit of intent in these last couple of weeks, and as rangey and ungainly and non-Newtonian as they appear to be, they've been getting s**t done, which is a real delight to watch. As is Charlie and Cam doing what they do best, and Bailey slowly but surely but slowly regaining his form. About the only thing I miss seeing is Linc flying comically high and somehow landing it, but I'll just have to make do with watching him sprint like a maniac in tireless forward pressure. A quick look at the GWS team announcement tells me that their backline is anchored by something called a Sam Taylor, and a poor boy named Buckley who looks a bit confused a lot of the time. That poor boy.

0rkE8wI4.jpg

Look, at the end of the day Football, in addition to the Lions, will be the real winner here. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see a Demons/Collingwood style dismantling, even if it's just as simple a strategy as 'turn the pressure up to 11', which I honestly think is all that we are going to see next Saturday, and is all that will be needed. Then we can put all this silliness about football in Canberra and a 'greater western sydney football team' behind us. I'm sick of you guys trying to trick me.

Lions by 48 if Jekyl Lions show up.

Lions by the skin of their teeth, or a narrow loss if Hyde shows up.
I am a tad disappointed... no Simpsons gifs, memes or references.

lisa-simpson-simpsons.gif

Quoted Berrygood from other thread
"Reading the Vfl thread, Fletcher has had a cpl of very good games, I wonder how long it will be before he gets a shot. I'm not saying this week but if he strings another 3 or 4 big games together I'd like to see what he can offer."

Think he only had the 9 touches on Sat, but doing some very nice things when he has the ball. Hitting the scoreboard too.
Any potential call up may or may not🤔 be in discussion until approx r9 ish???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a tad disappointed... no Simpsons gifs, memes or references.

lisa-simpson-simpsons.gif
When I see Haso I expect to see Simpsons, off beat references, and (possibly accidently) elements of astute analysis ... as the loafer once crooned - two out of three ain't bad!
Fine!

In a way, they'll both be winners.

y4dJvz_z6df8N2_9v0lA3M5Vobs=.gif

Zac Baileys 100th game to - he was better on the weekend but still off his output we are accustomed to, hopefully hes milestone game spurs him on to get back to the Zac we know and love.

What I like about Fletcher is that he doesn't need huge possession numbers to make an impact on a match. That said, I'd prefer to wait until he's regularly featuring in the VFL team's best players before promoting him. It's a big jump.
Correct, let him develop. Get some trust in his body again and fitness. Believe his back issue impacted on his pre-season as well.

Zac Baileys 100th game to - he was better on the weekend but still off his output we are accustomed to, hopefully hes milestone game spurs him on to get back to the Zac we know and love.

My take on Bailey is he is an instinctive player who's instinct is to grab the ball and go himself.

Think he is working on his team first, do your role selflessness and that's causing him to hesitate. So we aren't seeing his personal best, but his current best team focused play.

He'll warm into it over the season and will become an even greater player that stuns in finals.

Gunston vs Fort is going to be an interesting decision for a bunch of games this year. I can see benefits to both options pending the game and opposition

Fort is the much better contested mark which our team is often lacking. He also offers up the rucking backup - although takes away from Joe in the ruck which can bring him into the game.

Gunston is the best/smartest leading forward we have. He creates a lot of options just by leading and opening space. Most of our other forwards dont do this very well (or at all). And he is probably the better set shot (Fort is no mug generally though). And he can be a handy option to throw into the backline when needed

Wish I could go to this game but Canberra is just a bridge too far relative to Western Syd.

Missed the north game because of an 18th but from what I've seen on the foxtel replay we were absolutely lethal after that 15 minute patch in the first. I wouldn't underestimate the Giants in Canberra - they're still a team that's chock full of talent and given this is our second week of travel in a row against another team perceived as bottom four quality I'm wary of us getting ambushed. Didn't see much of the Giants game either but besides the finish I thought it was a major snooze fest. If they come out and play that way we should beat them

Based on what I saw from us on Saturday, I'd say the only change we could realistically make would be Gunston for Fort, but given how well the entire group played I don't think we need to change anything. Give Dizz another week in the two's.

Haso I just want to tell you that your preview was weird , but also slightly wonderful in its weirdness if that makes sense .

Haso should use this in his testimonials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back