Round 6: Changes Vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Worth the risk. Blakely in... too good a player... if he isn't ready then no WAFL either. He could even play Cerra's role and key Cerra move to the midfield.

Seriously Conca out? Why?????

Agree to disagree Salim. Have watched every game this year twice and can think of a number of our players on our list who could play his role just as well on the defensive side and then not be that liability with ball in hand - although various of those injured till now. Assuming we have most of our players available in the second half of the season I cannot see him getting a game. Pressure acts/winning the ball will only get you so far if you are constantly a deer in the headlights with poor kicking when you win it. Colyer as the other recruit however has done very well and slotted straight in.

Agree to disagree Salim. Have watched every game this year twice and can think of a number of our players on our list who could play his role just as well on the defensive side and then not be that liability with ball in hand - although various of those injured till now. Assuming we have most of our players available in the second half of the season I cannot see him getting a game. Pressure acts/winning the ball will only get you so far if you are constantly a deer in the headlights with poor kicking when you win it. Colyer as the other recruit however has done very well and slotted straight in.
I think you severely underestimate the effect his on field leadership has on the team. He’s a ferocious little bugger.

Worth the risk. Blakely in... too good a player... if he isn't ready then no WAFL either. He could even play Cerra's role and key Cerra move to the midfield.

Not sure on the Blakely straight in but on Cerra hasn't he been really good last few weeks? Really starting to stick tackles as well as his decision making and normally very good use. Emergence of him, Matera and Switkowski been a real bonus for us this year. Brayshaw I think seems down on confidence maybe but is doing enough. Cerra played a little mid last year but was undersized, would be less so now.

To all of those replacing Duman with McCarthy or a mid, who plays the shut down role on the Bulldogs small forward? Or don’t they have any?

We have small forwards, just not any good ones so no worries there.

You could honestly play Johnny The Doc, the guy who shreds on his guitar top of the stadium pre-game and one of your waterboys down back and we would still struggle to kick goals. Bevo did strange things in the midfield last week which really hurt us, but if he goes back to Bont, Libba, Macrae, Hunter, Dunkley etc in there we will probably have an edge in the middle, but you guys are far better and more settled than us down back and in the fwd line IMO.

Not to mention we always really struggle in Perth, so i'm not expecting us to be within 4-5 goals by the final siren. The only hope is a complete rev up / redemption game after last week's pathetic effort and the Dockers to be still too pleased with last week's result and get ahead of themselves a little, but I seriously doubt it.

You could honestly play Johnny The Doc, the guy who shreds on his guitar top of the stadium pre-game and one of your waterboys down back and we would still struggle to kick goals. Bevo did strange things in the midfield last week which really hurt us, but if he goes back to Bont, Libba, Macrae, Hunter, Dunkley etc in there we will probably have an edge in the middle, but you guys are far better and more settled than us down back and in the fwd line IMO.

Not to mention we always really struggle in Perth, so i'm not expecting us to be within 4-5 goals by the final siren. The only hope is a complete rev up / redemption game after last week's pathetic effort and the Dockers to be still too pleased with last week's result and get ahead of themselves a little, but I seriously doubt it.
We beat the Eagles in the middle for 3/4 without Fyfe. Not sure our mids are as bad as you might think. I think people make the mistake of name familiarity must = good player far too often, which reflects the bias in your statement. Having said that, could be a danger game for us like the Suns was. Hopefully Mundy300 and Len Hall is enough to get over that.

Well I hope he keeps your prime movers in there as it will be another good test.
I don't think there'll be much chance of us not being switched on, they know what your mids can do plus Mundy's 300th.
My guess is our supporters are more confident of a win than the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A certain quality journalist reporting this morning that Connor Blakely could be a surprise inclusion when the teams are announced on Thursday. Cam McCarthy is still recovering from the flu whilst Brennan Cox has a sore ankle. He also hopes the Talyin Duman decision is appealed, as two weeks for a retaliatory open-handed slap is massively excessive.
Then give Nyhuis a go. That’s unfair. Blakely is so far off match fitness, he would be getting 60% gametime, as they love doing that.
Cox did hurt his ankle, forgot about that. Would depend on how severe it was.
Will have to change forward line a bit. Do we bring in Schulz again? Or Banfield will probably have to play that half forward role

We beat the Eagles in the middle for 3/4 without Fyfe. Not sure our mids are as bad as you might think. I think people make the mistake of name familiarity must = good player far too often, which reflects the bias in your statement. Having said that, could be a danger game for us like the Suns was. Hopefully Mundy300 and Len Hall is enough to get over that.

Oh no i'm not saying the Dockers mids are bad at all, it's just our only real strength and a lot of our prime movers still there from the premiership year. Dockers are my second favourite team and have been for a long time, and I know for sure there is a lot of quality there as well as more experience than ours. It's just literally our only strength I can point to where we might have an edge, so if I give you that, you literally beat us on all three lines haha

Oh no i'm not saying the Dockers mids are bad at all, it's just our only real strength and a lot of our prime movers still there from the premiership year. Dockers are my second favourite team and have been for a long time, and I know for sure there is a lot of quality there as well as more experience than ours. It's just literally our only strength I can point to where we might have an edge, so if I give you that, you literally beat us on all three lines haha
Another would be the unpredictability of what Bevo is going to change this week.

I had thought that if we move Cox down back to cover Duman and get McCarthy back in the side we might be too tall, but from reading your board it sounds unanimous that you will be bringing in 1 or 2 more talls.

I'm hoping and thinking that we are going to back up the good win we just had. But this year so far I think I read that the underdog has won almost 50% of the games.

For me:
Out: Duman - Cox
In: Blakely - McCarthy

We dismiss the Dogs at our peril. Don't forget they have a better midfield than us. Bontempelli, MacRae, Libba, Hunter, Dunkley and co are pretty darn good.

Our forwards are going to have to take full toll of their undersized defence.

Hagdorn said this morning that Freo will roll the dice on Blakely. Not sure this is the right way to go but if he is fit, then he is fit.

Out: Duman (suspended ), Cox ( ankle )
In: Blakely, Dardy
But do they have ...

A FYFE

I’m not against giving Giro or Crowden a game if Blakely is coming through the WAFL. Or even Banfield a reprieve.

Not keen on replacing Duman with McCarthy otherwise we could be too tall again.

So I’ll go:

In: McCarthy, Giro
Out: Cox, Duman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not against giving Giro or Crowden a game if Blakely is coming through the WAFL. Or even Banfield a reprieve.

Not keen on replacing Duman with McCarthy otherwise we could be too tall again.

So I’ll go:

In: McCarthy, Giro
Out: Cox, Duman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From reading wafl reports, Bewley, North and Banfield were the midfielders who had the better games on the weekend.

Anyone wanting Brayshaw to be dropped needs to look closer at what they're trying to do with him. As said by other posters, he's a 19yo playing inside mid, having to do a lot of heavy lifting. Most players that young are playing outside or in the 2's. He's clearly got an elite footy brain and knows what he's trying to do, a few times he's just been rushed or under pressure. I have no doubt he'll be a gun. The pressure he brings is immense and you can see players using him, which is a good sign that the team trusts him.

Going back isn't a bad thing.

His confidence is shot at the moment...I'd like him to go back and get his hands on the ball, have a bit of time with his disposal

Going back isn't a bad thing.

His confidence is shot at the moment...I'd like him to go back and get his hands on the ball, have a bit of time with his disposal
He's actually doing better in most areas this year than last year, but I think the difference is he's playing more inside than outside - possibly why his disposal is more rushed. His contested possessions are up and his uncontested are down, but overall he's improving slowly.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind him going back to Peel at some stage just to give him a rest away from the pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back