Preview Round 6 vs Gold Coast Suns @ SCG, Sunday 21 April, 1.00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Against Essendon, the one match he started this season, he laid two tackles inside 50 and was in the top three for the Swans for forward-half pressure points and acts. It’s that ferocity that could help Longmire’s side create opportunities against a Gold Coast team that will be equally as tenacious.

Against Essendon, the one match he started this season, he laid two tackles inside 50 and was in the top three for the Swans for forward-half pressure points and acts. It’s that ferocity that could help Longmire’s side create opportunities against a Gold Coast team that will be equally as tenacious.

Have deadset never read an article and nodded my head with an "mhmm" with each paragraph like this one.

And lowkey kinda glad there's some external pressure being put on Horse over his selections, even if McKirdy stops short of attributing it to Horse directly.

And we have.
Anthony Hudson, Gerard Healy, Dermott Brereton, Nick Dal Santo.

Not bad.

And we have.
Anthony Hudson, Gerard Healy, Dermott Brereton, Nick Dal Santo.

Not bad.
Looking forward to being able to add another half a dozen or so pages to Hayden McLean's autobiography after Sunday's game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting how the lack of Dew will impact how the suns play the SCG.

I always felt that Dew matched up well with the swans on their home deck. For obvious reasons.

If we're poor on defending turnover, that's likely related to our attacking mindset prowess. It's very hard to defend turnover when you do so in the middle of the ground, trying to pinpoint a pass that is then intercepted. The team is in attack mode and so the defence is out of shape, and the opposition has the ball in the ideal location to load an attack.

But our attacking prowess is, no doubt, built off the willingness to take those risks. If we don't take them, we don't move the ball cleanly and speedily the length of the ground. So there's a payoff between the kind of ball movement we've been trying and the risk of conceding goals when it doesn't come off.

I have no doubt this will be examined and tweaked as the season progresses. Longmire has long espoused the value of defence first. But unless you have a team of robots capable of always pulling off the risky kicks, you can't have a high risk attacking style and a rock-solid defence.

If we're poor on defending turnover, that's likely related to our attacking mindset prowess. It's very hard to defend turnover when you do so in the middle of the ground, trying to pinpoint a pass that is then intercepted. The team is in attack mode and so the defence is out of shape, and the opposition has the ball in the ideal location to load an attack.

But our attacking prowess is, no doubt, built off the willingness to take those risks. If we don't take them, we don't move the ball cleanly and speedily the length of the ground. So there's a payoff between the kind of ball movement we've been trying and the risk of conceding goals when it doesn't come off.

I have no doubt this will be examined and tweaked as the season progresses. Longmire has long espoused the value of defence first. But unless you have a team of robots capable of always pulling off the risky kicks, you can't have a high risk attacking style and a rock-solid defence.
It takes a lot of foresight and energy for the target players to get into space without someone on their hammer. This is where we have fallen off a bit after the first two rounds IMO.

surely sir isaac gets the captaincy this week
Lord Issac.
When I was at the Richmond game and Rampe went down, I was explaining to my girlfriend (whose entire knowledge of football is the colours and Sydney's team list she memorised last year*) that we won't have a captain for next week and she said Heeney "exuded captain energy"

*She was most upset we had list changes last year and needed to learn new games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back