Review Round 7, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

All you Chris, all you. That wasn't about talent or age, it was about the opposition having a simple gameplan that they could execute and our players being asked to play in a way that often actively hurt our chances. I don't care if we've supposedly turned things around culture and organisation-wise, you just can't let games like this and the GC one slip and expect to go anywhere as an afl coach.

Getting us to be competitive is one thing, but I'm really not sure we've got the nous where it matters (the coaches box) to turn these kinds of games into wins. I'm not worried about our list so much now, that's looking great. But if we can't get it together within 12 months, Fagan's out and we're either back where we started or he's our Brendan McCartney and we actually get somewhere.
Weird game. Our ball use and attack on the footy was great. In the end a lack of defensive running made their ball movement too easy and gave them easy goals costing us the match.
You can't put this on a 2nd year player, but gee Allison was poor in that regard. He's a half back flanker, and arguably the least important player in the side, but he just couldn't run defensively even well before half time. He had two goal assists and apart from that he was too stuffed to chase, and looked about as agile as the average player his height to boot. You can't tell me Sam Mayes wouldn't have given us more today, and you can't tell me there's any advantage to carrying a player who needs to be working on several aspects of his game in the neafl. Worst on ground by a fair margin, and that's the game right there. Again, coaching.

After so many games at the Gabba where there was no coming back after half time I am disappointed but weirdly still really enjoyed that game and go home surprisingly content.

I used to be able to remember who always said,"Cathago delenda es"t but I now say McStay must not play as a forward. He occasionally , once a season, takes a mark like he did in he last quarter but I am sick of waiting or him 'to arrive'. His time may have passed.

Our forward line needs some one who looks like he might take a mark a quarter rather then once a season

Frustrated, but it was always going to be another season where the win-loss ratio wouldn't exactly matter too much for us. Some positive signs with a solid performance. Should have a win by this stage, but just glad we've been right in 5/7 games of footy given the last decade.

Patience for honourable losses will be wearing thin next year however.

All you Chris, all you. That wasn't about talent or age, it was about the opposition having a simple gameplan that they could execute and our players being asked to play in a way that often actively hurt our chances. I don't care if we've supposedly turned things around culture and organisation-wise, you just can't let games like this and the GC one slip and expect to go anywhere as an afl coach.

Getting us to be competitive is one thing, but I'm really not sure we've got the nous where it matters (the coaches box) to turn these kinds of games into wins. I'm not worried about our list so much now, that's looking great. But if we can't get it together within 12 months, Fagan's out and we're either back where we started or he's our Brendan McCartney and we actually get somewhere.

You can't put this on a 2nd year player, but gee Allison was poor in that regard. He's a half back flanker, and arguably the least important player in the side, but he just couldn't run defensively even well before half time. He had two goal assists and apart from that he was too stuffed to chase, and looked about as agile as the average player his height to boot. You can't tell me Sam Mayes wouldn't have given us more today, and you can't tell me there's any advantage to carrying a player who needs to be working on several aspects of his game in the neafl. Worst on ground by a fair margin, and that's the game right there. Again, coaching.
Disagree with the first point and bit but completely agree with the second.

This may sound really harsh because he's worked really hard but I don't think we should be debuting anyone over the age of say 25/26. Can someone please tell me what is the point of pumping games into a 28 year old when he won't be around for our premiership tilt? I know he had an alright game but that doesn't change my point.

Last edited:
Look that hurt , but give our boys the credit ! So many chances , Zorko was magnificent , thought Rayner played his best game , hodge was good , we are so close , we need to support them. Too many posters slag our players I think time to get behind a great bunch of kids.

The wins will come

It is not an unlucky defeat when were behind all game as always. No positives... Kidding ourselves. We should have beaten a tired side on our own dunghill who'd played 3 games in 11 days and were a man down. Fagan will talk positives but we never looked like winning. We are going nowhere. Good kids... Fagan... blah ******* blah... bullshit. Every other team has 'good kids'... probably better than ours... we were saying that crap 10, 8, 6, 4 and 2 years ago about guys that are either delisted because they werent good enough or who left because we treated then like s**t. Christenson is a pretender, has been awful for us... always kicking blind, staging for frees, u turns.. etc... whenever he gets near it, all forward momentum stops... dud.

Yeah I agree with the selection table comments too. With hindsight it's of course easy to say but it always seemed odd that Eagles came in and Oscar stayed.

Bailey was very costly at times today too. He's shown glimpses sure but we should have gone with a proven solid contributor in what was a very winnable game.

I used to be able to remember who always said,"Cathago delenda es"t but I now say McStay must not play as a forward. He occasionally , once a season, takes a mark like he did in he last quarter but I am sick of waiting or him 'to arrive'. His time may have passed.

Our forward line needs some one who looks like he might take a mark a quarter rather then once a season
McStay did his job today, no idea why he's copping it. If one of our talls gets a break after than, it might be Hipwood. We used him further up the ground but he still only got 11 touches and had no impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t normally agree with carnthemlions, but spot on with this post. Mayes needed to be in today and I would never have dropped Walker. When I looked at our interchange bench on Thursday night I was really troubled by the players getting a run before these two. The problem I have with Fagan’s coaching is that after nearly 50 years of closely following VFL / AFL football, he is not making any sense at the selection table and he is not building a consistent or coherent style of play at Brisbane.

The coverage of the game on TV was pretty ordinary - following Collingwood players around when the ball was in lay on the other side - just not as good as it has been previously.

It is not an unlucky defeat when were behind all game as always. No positives... Kidding ourselves. We should have beaten a tired side on our own dunghill who'd played 3 games in 11 days and were a man down. Fagan will talk positives but we never looked like winning. We are going nowhere. Good kids... Fagan... blah ******* blah... bullshit. Every other team has 'good kids'... probably better than ours... we were saying that crap 10, 8, 6, 4 and 2 years ago about guys that are either delisted because they werent good enough or who left because we treated then like s**t. Christenson is a pretender, has been awful for us... always kicking blind, staging for frees, u turns.. etc... whenever he gets near it, all forward momentum stops... dud.

Not happy then?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For what it's worth I thought Eagles really acquitted himself well, Big O is the one who needs dropping this week.

Bulldogs are pretty short. Probably won’t need 2 key backs.

For what it's worth I thought Eagles really acquitted himself well, Big O is the one who needs dropping this week.

Nah. Oscar had several nice touches, was quite a good ruck foil considering Grundy was dominating that aspect, and I'm not much interested in dropping someone who laid seven tackles.

I cant get that Harris Andrews dropped mark at the start of the second quarter out of my head. Hodge was rubbish and Mayes would've been handy too.

Back