Autopsy Round 7, 2020: Sydney vs Gold Coast @SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
-Much better approach to ball movement this game, tried to use the corridor, go forward quickly more etc
-McCartin's contested marking is a great asset at this time
-Aliir got a bit of a confidence boost and provided a solid target up forward, could have been a 3 goal game if he didn't drop an easy mark early
-Hayward is back and working harder than ever
-obligatory mention of Papley
-Parker led from the front in JPK's absence, excellent showing
-First year players showed glimpses of class, Taylor looked smooth the few times he got it
-Hewett did some good grunt work in close as did Rowbottom
-Cunningham and Lloyd had pretty productive games as well

Bad:
-delivery inside 50 is mostly long bombs, forwards dont seem to have the chemistry to create space for each other so large packs form, cant rely on contested marks all the time
-Blakey has no confidence at the minute, needs a spell and with McCartin back he isn't a structural necessity anymore
-Stoddart had a shocker with ball in hand
-Florents gone into a bit of a slump after a great start to the year. Really need him to start finding it again.
- the injuries keep stacking up, COR and then Sinclair was pretty hampered after jarring his knee, hopefully Hayward isnt affect by the hyperextension which looked ugly
-umpiring has no consistency at all
- we're still turning over the ball a lot by foot, gold coast got quite a number of goals from pretty basic skill errors on our part
- Dermot Brereton in the commentary box - FMD what a knobjockey

Gone full oppo to reality with the down the middle option. Those that wanted horse gone because of the past might kick their skins ins. Watch some other teams, they've done a bit of this and a bit of that. So many times we had to be a bit patient. Hardwick can gasad.

Hard to disagree with any of the OP

No doubt had a crack and we looked to score and use the corridor , pleasing to see at times. Thought is was an alright game overall.

Scoreboard flattered us and we are a bottom 2/3 side. Our skills are shocking for an elite sport

Carrying to many blokes also

Keep mills in the backhalf where he excels as he doesn’t offer anything different in the middle.

Stephens look no worries tonight and has a big tank.

Good to see few hit a bit of form like Hayward and at least Aliir took a few

Sinclair looks to be done at the highest level, body also.

Fox is batting well above his average and doing a no worries job , gives us a little rebound also even playing that position

Florent was shocking and lazy

Keep Harry in the bp

Last edited:
Did not mind that. It was nice conditions, entertaining and we tried.

Senior players like Parker, Rampe and Mills were good. Even though we are struggling, they are generally consistent during the game and shown desire to win every week. Our young fresh players are not able to have much impact on the game. But I accept that to give them experience and get a look at the young players on our list.

I thought Fox has been solid the last two weeks on bigger opponents. You would never have expected him to handle big key forwards like Lynch and Day. But he struck at it. I thought that Hayward was good. I am happy the coaches struck with him. Rather than drop him to the reserves like a lot of people were calling for.

- Lloyd further up the ground with Cunningham kicking in was a winner. Liked the Cunningham actually tried to take it right through the middle at times rather than just going safe, I know it didn't always come off but I'd rather turn it over taking it on than chipping it around for 2 minutes before turning it over anyway. Hopefully they persist and Cunningham keeps having the gall to try those kick ins from time to time - (on a side note....he is a such frustrating player can look really good when he's in that more attacking mind frame, and is a really good ball user but you're just as likely to see the hesitant gun-shy, turnover merchant, version of Cunningham next week).
- Haywood was back, Dawson improved also (but his marking has really gone to s**t this year), Parker and Lloyd good.
- Just carrying a few too many atm, some ordinary players and players like Blakey massively out of form. McLean very stiff to not have a spot when you see Blakey and Sinclair out there.
- Suns don't need concessions anymore.
- The standard of umpiring across the league is insipid and woefully inconsistent....the exact same incident can repeat itself 30 seconds apart and be called completely differently. Some woefully bad calls at crucial times in far too many games.
- Enough of the slow starts, killing us. Mills seems to cough up a crucial early game goal with an very ordinary moment every week.
- Had a go and liked the urgency we played with and the man on man style, hopefully keep playing this way...won't win much this year as we're carrying too much trash, but will serve us well next year and beyond with a (hopefully) fitter and better list imo.

At least we had a ******* crack today. Did look second best but it shows adaptability after last week (even if neither really worked). Suns do look a genuinely decent team. Think they'll go places this year.

Hayward's best game in a long time, McCartin had some brilliant moments, Parker bounced back brilliantly, it also seemed like Dawson had more impact than in the last few games.

Of the kids Taylor's game was very fun to watch, Stephens showed excellent workrate even if some of his ball use was kind of bad, whereas Warner did a couple of OK things but seems a bit off the pace as things stand.

Stoddart's game might be one of the worst I've ever seen. Every time he kicked the ball he seemed to find a Suns player. Like how hard is it to lower the eyes and hit up an easy option? Blakey has to be dumped, he's massively out of knick and needs a circuit breaker. With McCartin back, McLean dumped and Reid probably only a week away it's no longer structurally necessary to carry him, either. Most of our kicks seemed like bombs too, and only excellent hands from McCartin and Aliir saved us.

I thought Fox has been solid the last two weeks on bigger opponents. You would never have expected him to handle big key forwards like Lynch and Day. But he struck at it. I thought that Hayward was good. I am happy the coaches struck with him. Rather than drop him to the reserves like a lot of people were calling for.
Yeah after that Rd 4 game I thought his cards were 100% marked, but he's doing a pretty admirable job as an undersized KPD. Not sure how long he can sustain it but if he keeps it up I think he'll be a nice help.

We had a crack, we kept a forward line
They are a lot better than us but we showed some spirit, had a chance most of the game

We are carrying a few and seeing who can play and who might not make it, but overall We did more right than wrong all things considered

Dawson and Hayward in some nick was nice

Also an actual crowd makes a difference to the experience

Yeah after that Rd 4 game I thought his cards were 100% marked, but he's doing a pretty admirable job as an undersized KPD. Not sure how long he can sustain it but if he keeps it up I think he'll be a nice help.

Fox had a good game round 3 vs North. Then a shaky game round 4 against Bulldogs. I felt a lot of BigFooty posters wrote him off after that one bad game. And wanted to leave him in the reserves for the rest of the season.

I did not expect much of Fox against Lynch/Day. But he struck to his bigger opponent, got a few late spoils in and was desperate when the ball hit the ground. Maybe there will be weeks where he gets dominated. But as a cheap squad player, he has done his role and fitted into the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoddart had the butchers apron on today, but to butcher it, you gotta get it, and he did 16 times. Composure comes with experience.

Yeah half back flanker is a hard position for a young player to be introduced to the team. He has to mark up defensively. He is under pressure with the ball and any poor kicks are punished.

If Gould/Ling/etc debuts in the next few weeks. I think they will initially struggle in a similar way.

Could not be more unimpressed with stoddart. Happy to delist at half time. Been on the list a couple of years now and does not look like a league footballer. He torched it every time he touched it, blazed away and even missed basic handballs. The moment he had to be instructed to by Parker to put a block on was enough for me. Completely ruined a potential fast break due to pure incompetence.

COR tries hard but he’s not at state level let alone AFL. First minute of the game he runs up the middle and kicks it straight to a suns player, ball then waltzes down for a goal. Did it 4 or 5 times last week aswell.

Taylor had a solid debut. Excellent composure and good skills. Showed enough to suggest he will be dangerous.

Unless we are getting a player back of similar ilk, we cannot trade papley. Absolute superstar.

Hayward played his best game in years. Taking solid marks, kicking goals and providing dash. Easily in our best.

Stephenson is showing enough. Very clean hands and a heap of speed. I think he lacks a little confidence atm but that is to be expected at this stage of his career. Very happy with him.

McCartin was terrific. Extremely strong hands and set shot looked reliable. We need to invest in him as a key forward for the next 10 years and move Reid to chb

Sinclair was destroyed today, but witts is a very very good ruckman

Parker really stepped up his leadership in jpk’s absence, good to see

Blakey again was very poor

Florent first bad game of the year but until this week he has been great

Rowbottom looks more and more like a senior player every week, might not star but he is making the right plays.

Not sold at all on warner, kicking was atrocious tonight

I think the days are gone where we can just write every poor performance by a young player as a learning experience.

The game is easier than ever for kids to come in and be impactful from their first game, players these days are smaller in stature and there is very little accountability placed on players.

It used to be rare that guys like Selwood came through and were effective senior players but every year now, there are 1st and 2nd year players starring for teams.

No excuses for guys like stoddart and Blakey who have been on the list for multiple years

Credit to Horse for letting them play footy and show some skills.

More positives than negatives - but Blakey is a real concern. He was seen as our next A-grader, but looks absolutely nothing of the sort.

CoR, Stoddart will be lucky to get another contract.

Hewett is underrated. Never has a poor game. Nick Smith-esque in that regard.

I think the days are gone where we can just write every poor performance by a young player as a learning experience.

The game is easier than ever for kids to come in and be impactful from their first game, players these days are smaller in stature and there is very little accountability placed on players.

It used to be rare that guys like Selwood came through and were effective senior players but every year now, there are 1st and 2nd year players starring for teams.

No excuses for guys like stoddart and Blakey who have been on the list for multiple years

I don't expect much from young players apart from a few glimpses, especially players in their first season. They seem to fade in and out, compared to players like Papley, Parker and Rampe who consistently impact the game.

All season, posters have been wanting them to select 1st/2nd year players. Which I am fine with it. But we have to accept that generally, we will get those type of performances.

Rowbottom seems to be a bit of an exception. He was looking comfortable at this level in his first season. McInerney has also done well in his second season and probably best 22. But I am happy to omit him so we get a look at other young players.

First chance of the season to get to a game today, which I was very appreciative of, and I think it provides a different perspective (for better or worse).

I think watching on TV it’s easy to be critical of the game plan (which I always am), but seeing the Undersized and Inexperienced players, it’s was easier to see why we are at where we are.

I think the positives are, we are seeing younger players develop. 3-4 weeks ago I (and all of us) were calling for Haywood to go. After a few weeks down back, where he developed each week, arguably today was his best game as a Swan.

Our list is extremely young, and as frustrating as that is, given our past success, hopefully the Haywood example provides a pathway for a few others and an example of how they can shift up a gear.

This season isn’t the worst year to be further blooding these players given everything going on and I think we will come out stronger for it.

The positive is most of our errors are things that can be improved - strength, composure, game plan etc.

I think Elijah showed enough to stay in and I was impressed with his attack on the footy, I don’t think he plays the typical “small forward” role which we have a lot of already.

Lists like ours change on a dime, for better or worse. We just need to hope we are on the “better” side, and history should guide us that our recruiting is above average and so are our coaches. I’m often extremely critical and frustrated watching on TV, but after being at the game I feel like the bones are there...and it’s player development that we need to be looking for, not so much results this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back