Preview Round 7, 2021: Saints v Hawks, at Marvel, Sat 1st May @ 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Him playing in defense genuinely was the difference though. He saved goals our other defenders couldn't, and we won by 3 points - ergo if he wasn't back there we would have lost.

Not sure how that makes me a TOB lover? Not sure why TOB haters try to use all kinds of mental gymnastics to prove that him saving match winning goals, and kicking match winning goals, does not in fact make him the match winner.

Lots of things could be seen as the “difference” in a 3 point win. Breust breaking two tackles I50 and kicking goals, Frost winning a key 1v1 late on Walker, CJ’s weighted kick for Kozi in the first quarter resulting in a goal etc. There’s literally hundreds of moments within a game. Biggest difference IMO was the general midfield ascendancy in the latter parts of the 3rd and early parts of 4th quarter.

Hardwick Frost Impey
Jiath TOB Scrimshaw
Phillips Mitchell Gunston
Moore Lewis Wingard
Jeka Kosi Breust

McEvoy O'Meara Worpel (run with Steele)
Hartigan Cousins Shiels Hanrahan
Sub: Morrison

This is my ideal line up but I know it isn't entirely realistic. Most weeks I'd play Morrison over Hanrahan but we may need Oli's raw pace at Marvel against a quick side. Also Morrison is the perfect player to potentially come on late in a game and run a tired opponent into the ground.

That third qtr TOB was involved in just about all of the goals we kicked. He kicked the first in the 3rd qtr to start the comeback. Go watch the 3rd qtr again mate if you can
Timmy has battled on manfully the last few years as a fwd in an ordinary side that gives very poor delivery to the fwds. He's been guilty some weeks of not creating a strong enuf contest, and has seen two's footy as a result. As the team builds so will Tim's output. Had a ripper on the weekend in stifling the Crows fwd thrusts. Lets get around him for once!

I can’t recall the precise game but he was playing well down back in 2019 and then I think we had to move him forward in a game and he kicked a goal or two. Moved him permanently forward after that and he played really well at the back end of 2019 as a forward. And then our midfield sh*t itself last year and our defence got old and now we are here. 😀
As I've said before, there's old Timmy, and new Timmy. Since he grew that facial hair he matured immeasurably and we've only seen him once down back since that time and he shone. He also started kicking like a dead eye. See him at times just slice a ball across the ground to a target 50m away, he has talent Timmy.

I think its now increased angst with Jeka seemingly ready for a debut.

He shouldn't be immune to criticism, just like every player on our list. If he has a run of poor games and there is a replacement ready at BHH who is delivering, then he needs to make way. Likewise for blokes like Shiels who aren't delivering.

But I can see why TOB would be retained this weel
Exactly....Shiels has been very ordinary, but would take consistent horrendous football for Clarko to drop a leader

Saints have a few decent smalls:

Lonie, Higgins and Butler (who has been very poor so far, but he's exactly the kind of player we would play back into form). Impey, Hardwick, Frost and CJ should be able to account for them.

I think their midfield is quite like ours though - a few quality tough nuts but lacks real class. Essentially only Billings and Wingard offer each team that touch of class through the middle.

If Mitchell, JOM, Wingard, Worpel and Shiels can get on top of Steele, Crouch, Jones, Ross and Billings then we should beat them.

Atleast they didn’t try to sting us like the Bombers game and make us pay $20 or so for Level 3 seats.
You could make the same mistake this time around. I think we were all so pumped for Round 1, thought it was going to sell out that we all just clicked and clicked and took an upgraded ticket. I know I did :)

I thought he was pretty good in the second half, bar that one handball to CJ.
Was that the play where the ball spilled to the ground in our defensive 50 but CJ was savvy enough to just kick it off the ground albeit across the fat side of the ground and we managed to clear it out? My heart was in my mouth on that play but atm it seems like everything CJ touches turns to gold. It's funny how things have changed from this time last year where nothing went his way and I suppose its important to remember that with these young guys coming through the ranks that if your patient with them and back them in it can all click at any time. Still a lot of room for improvement though.

Last edited:
Him playing in defense genuinely was the difference though. He saved goals our other defenders couldn't, and we won by 3 points - ergo if he wasn't back there we would have lost.

Not sure how that makes me a TOB lover? Not sure why TOB haters try to use all kinds of mental gymnastics to prove that him saving match winning goals, and kicking match winning goals, does not in fact make him the match winner.
It doesn't. They're a bunch of cultists.

525655_4fdb7fba93d9a8888374a857f758c772.gif

You could make the same mistake this time around. I think we were all so pumped for Round 1, thought it was going to sell out that we all just clicked and clicked and took an upgraded ticket. I know I did :)
Round 1 wasn't a replacement game

Have been allocated row V aisle 46 level 3. Pretty certain that's the final row on L3 in the forward pocket. The AFL is f’ed.

Not quite last row, we got allocated row W aisle 37, this is meant to be compensation for level 2, row 2 on the wing at the MCG. 25 minutes of fluffing around gets you this sh1te. No thank you HFC and no thank AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not quite last row, we got allocated row W aisle 37, this is meant to be compensation for level 2, row 2 on the wing at the MCG. 25 minutes of fluffing around gets you this sh1te. No thank you HFC and no thank AFL.
It's a replacement game, not a home game.
You'd have more of a leg to stand on if it was a home game.
Given tickets to replacement games normally set us back, getting a free ticket is pretty good - even an upgrade is really cheap.

The Club and the afl have really stepped up given there's a capacity of only 33k

It's a replacement game, not a home game.
You'd have more of a leg to stand on if it was a home game.
Given tickets to replacement games normally set us back, getting a free ticket is pretty good - even an upgrade is really cheap.

The Club and the afl have really stepped up given there's a capacity of only 33k

It’s meant to be a replacement for lost Home games to Tassie, that’s the way its sold to members, other Melbourne clubs get 11 home games in their reserved seat for the same cost we pay as Kennedy Club members.

So the choice is:

A. gunston fwd and no jeka OR
B. gunston wing, jeka fwd. gunston to go fwd when one of jeka, Lewis or kosi have a rest or go into ruck. Means he is 50/50 wing/fwd with a bit of bench time.

I think we have to go with option B even if it means playing one of our best players out of position for some of the game. It solves a problem on the wing and jack can still be fwd at critical times. Jeka just has to play and can’t drop anyone.

So the choice is:

A. gunston fwd and no jeka OR
B. gunston wing, jeka fwd. gunston to go fwd when one of jeka, Lewis or kosi have a rest or go into ruck. Means he is 50/50 wing/fwd with a bit of bench time.

I think we have to go with option B even if it means playing one of our best players out of position for some of the game. It solves a problem on the wing and jack can still be fwd at critical times. Jeka just has to play and can’t drop anyone.

I like the idea of it, but I'm not sure Gunston will have the tank after such a layoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back