silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Well, I said I'm doing a preview, so here I am again... this was so much easier last week when we won.

Round 6 Results

Well, we all saw it...A 7-goal to nothing last quarter saw us once again lose in the last quarter to those damn magpies, giving up a 28-point 3/4 time lead.. and letting Collingwood double their score in a quarter. That was a bad, bad quarter from us; but let's be realistic here, they beat us all day except on the scoreboard. Their midfield stomped ours, and we failed to take advantage of their outs in any capacity. Philips was.. in short pathetic... and Draper was unfortunately average... and of course, that last quarter miss hurt like hell. We completely failed to stop Nick Daicos from destroying us.. maybe he is the next best player in the AFL. 🤷‍♂️

Episode 7 Pearls Of Wisdom GIF by SVU

COLLINGWOOD 1.4 5.7 6.10 13.12 (90)
ESSENDON 3.2 5.5 11.8 11.11 (77)

GOALS
Collingwood
: De Goey 2, Johnson 2, N.Daicos 2, Ginnivan 2, McCreery 2, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Frampton
Essendon: Langford 3, Weideman 2, Stringer, Perkins, Menzie, Martin, Draper, Davey

Ess Bests (Imo, screw waiting for afl.com) - Langford, Parish, Kelly, Weideman, Redman

I guess it could be worse for us, because on the flip side of the coin, Geelong absolutely spanked the bejesus out of the Swans... I'm so sick of seeing the Geelong win, at least we are no longer in the business of funding Geelong's premiership player retirement plans.

GEELONG 6.3 11.3 18.5 20.10 (130)
SYDNEY 2.0 5.4 5.5 5.7 (37)

GOALS
Geelong:
Hawkins 5, Cameron 5, Simpson 2, O. Henry 2, Close 2, Blicavs, Dangerfield, Rohan, Tuohy
Sydney: Hayward 2, Papley, Heeney, Stephens

BEST (according to AFL.com.au)
Geelong:
Dangerfield, Cameron, Blicavs, Hawkins, C.Guthrie, Holmes
Sydney: Warner, Parker, Gulden, Lloyd

Last time we met
Bad Day That Hurt GIF by Tim Poulton

Yep. Round 1 last year... the game where only one Essendon player was able to walk with their head held up high. (Ok two, Merret was good, but I'm being dramatic damnit)
A game where we saw arguably the greatest debut for a player in a losing team.. one Nick Martin. Here's his stat line -
Goals: 5!!!!!, Disposals: 27, Marks: 10, Kicks: 17, HB: 10..

That's right, the undrafted nobody showed up the rest of our team.

In the end, though we got spanked royally, and some would argue never recovered.

GEELONG 7.5 12.9 17.14 20.18 (138)
ESSENDON 2.1 3.3 6.3 11.6 (72)

GOALS
Geelong:
Hawkins 4, Stengle 4, Cameron 2, Close 2, Holmes 2, Dangerfield, Dahlhaus, Tuohy, Higgins, Guthrie, Evans
Essendon: Martin 5, Wright 2, Caldwell 2, Smith, Cutler

BEST
Geelong:
Dangerfield, Stengle, Hawkins, Parfitt, C.Guthrie, Selwood
Essendon: Martin, Merrett, McGrath, Parish, Caldwell

INJURIES
Geelong:
Cameron (hip pointer)
Essendon: Langford (hamstring), Laverde (hip)

SUBSTITUTES
Geelong:
Francis Evans (replaced Jeremy Cameron in the second quarter)
Essendon: Tom Cutler (replaced Kyle Langford in the first quarter)

Thoughts on this game

I'm not meaning to be a downer, but I can't help be feel it will take a miracle to win this round. Geelong has well and truly found its mojo again, and we are coming off a 5-day break. However, the one big Positive is our captain oh captain returns from his stupid suspensions (God we needed him today). The negative..who the hell comes in from that abysmal VFL performance. (Ahh hell, I just realize that pies did the double on us and it was almost in the same fashion.. now I'm really shitty)

Possible Ins -

Merrett (more like impossible not in)
Hobbs (Give him a full game)
Hind (Probably should have played or been sub)
Jones (Did we miss him today?)
Bryan (Only decent AFL listed performer in the VFL)
Walla (Cause I want him back)
Reid/Montgomerie/Balwin (To replace Lav)

Possible Outs -
Menzies - Struggled despite that one great goal
Davey - I felt he was better than Menzies, but wasn't great
Philips - Should have dominated
Caldwell - Will he get a week for that punch
Lav - Injured
Heppel - Due for a rest - 5 day break
Durham - What happened to him today?

My Tip - Sorry all, I'm a very scorned Essendon supporter - Geelong by 32.

Last edited:
Only definite change I see at this stage is Laverde out for s**t, I guess Reid? One game back in the VFL isn't ideal, but he's probably better than the other options in Hayes and Baldwin.

Menzie might miss for Walla with the five day turnaround. Or they might go Jones and back in Caldwell going back to the forwardline to make up for the loss in forward pressure.

Oh, and Merrett comes back in for Hobbs.

People are insane if they think we should drop Phillips. Wasn't as good a game as last week or the three he played previous to that this season. But the two rucks works. It's how we got on top in the third. People forget that Frampton was recruited as a ruck and has only been playing as a KPD fairly recently. I don't think Kreuger's a mug either after they mentioned during the game on ABC Grandstand that he was in their Preliminary Final team last year. There's no real shame in losing what was a tight ruck battle.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Only definite change I see at this stage is Laverde out for s**t, I guess Reid? One game back in the VFL isn't ideal, but he's probably better than the other options in Hayes and Baldwin.

Menzie might miss for Walla with the five day turnaround. Or they might go Jones and back in Caldwell going back to the forwardline to make up for the loss in forward pressure.

People are insane if they think we should drop Phillips. Wasn't as good a game as last week or the three he played previous to that this season. But the two rucks works. It's how we got on top in the third. People forget that Frampton was recruited as a ruck and has only been playing as a KPD fairly recently. I don't think Kreuger's a mug either after they mentioned during the game on ABC Grandstand that he was in their Preliminary Final team last year. There's no real shame in losing what was a tight ruck battle.

All this.

Reckon Montgomery and Voss made debut this week.

I think it might be

McGrath BZT Montgomery
Redman Ridley D'Ambrosio
Martin Merrett Durham
Stringer Jones Davey Jnr
Voss weideman Caldwell
Draper settlefield parish
Shiel Hobbs hind Langford
Sub. Walla

In . Montgomery D'Ambrosio Voss Hobbs hind Jones merrett

Out. Laverde, snelling,Menzie,perkins(all injured) Phillips, heppell ( managed)

The 2nds have the bye so we have a few more to chose from

Frampton hasn't played as a ruck since before COVID. Was playing defence for Adelaide the past 3 years.

Going to be fascinating to see how it goes this week. Not expecting the win but if we keep up the defensive pressure and structure and show up after what’s really a 4.5 day break would take it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think there are a few who probably get injured off a short turnaround. Namely Phillips and Stringer.

Out: Phillips (rested), Stringer (rested), Laverde (shoulder), Heppell (omitted), Caldwell/Davey (suspended/omitted)
In: Bryan, Voss, Baldwin, D'Ambrosio, Merrett

Ridley - Zerk-Thatcher - Kelly
Redman - Baldwin - D'Ambrosio
Durham - Parish - Martin
Snelling - Weideman - Perkins
Menzie - Voss - Bryan
Draper - Shiel - Merrett
Setterfield - McGrath - Langford - Caldwell/Davey
Hobbs

Think there are a few who probably get injured off a short turnaround. Namely Phillips and Stringer.

Out: Phillips (rested), Stringer (rested), Laverde (shoulder), Heppell (omitted), Caldwell/Davey (suspended/omitted)

Durham - Parish - Martin
Menzie - Voss - Bryan
Draper - Shiel - Merrett
Hobbs
I dont think caldwell gets more than a fine. Though we know who the MRO is.

Lav out makes things interesting. Do you change ridleys role or bring someone like baldwin in...or slide weid back.

Depth test will be interesting

I dont think caldwell gets more than a fine. Though we know who the MRO is.

Lav out makes things interesting. Do you change ridleys role or bring someone like baldwin in...or slide weid back.

Depth test will be interesting
You don't move Weird back after that game.

Phillips isn't going to play on a 5 day turn around
Yes he is. He's not a kid, so he doesn't need a rest.
Frampton hasn't played as a ruck since before COVID. Was playing defence for Adelaide the past 3 years.
Clearly still has it in him. Plus he played well against Marshall last week too.

Durham - Parish - Martin
Menzie - Voss - Bryan
Draper - Shiel - Merrett
Hobbs
Bryan, Voss, Baldwin and D'Ambrosio are not ready and will get absolutely slaughtered by Geelong. Also, there's no way Caldwell gets suspended.

Yes he is. He's not a kid, so he doesn't need a rest.

Clearly still has it in him. Plus he played well against Marshall last week too.

Bryan, Voss, Baldwin and D'Ambrosio are not ready and will get absolutely slaughtered by Geelong. Also, there's no way Caldwell gets suspended.
He's an injury prone 31 year old. A 5 day break is exactly the type of game where he breaks down and misses a month.

He had a good game but you said he was recruited as a ruck, which he wasn't. He was recruited as a defender.

Phillips will definitely need to rest off a 5 day break so Bryan comes in to keep the two rucks going.
Stringer the same. Voss gets his debut after playing well in the VFL.
Well who do you propose takes Laverde's spot? Reid off half a game in the VFL?
Maybe it's Hind instead. Massimo more damaging by foot though
We said the same thing about Merrett.

Durham - Parish - Martin
Menzie - Voss - Bryan
Draper - Shiel - Merrett
Hobbs
I think Hind is a shoe in IMO.

Perkins could be rested, looked sore and unable to impact the contest late in the game.

Phillips & stringer rested today so should be fine!

Langford kicked 5 and we moved him back ;)

Necessity may dictate. Lav out really messes our structures up.
You play the young KPP who's been playing in defence. Tough initiation at AFL level but back him in.

Wish Narkle was on our list. has been impressive.

Seriously though, Reid needs more games to be considered IMO.

Baldwin the obvious choice IMO.

Merrett would have been huge today. See worse tackles every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back