Preview Round 7 v GWS Giants. Saturday 1:45pm, GIANTS Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom's 3 games in so obviously it's a given that his position isn't secure .
He's the one I'm surprised has got three games to be honest. Aside from a couple of things, if we're being really honest, he hasn't offered anything offensively and his defensive work isn't much better.

I appreciate he is young and they're trying to get games into him, but surely we should be picking our best 22 and I don't think he and a few others are or deserve to be best 22 players at this stage.

I think it's crazy to name an unchanged team after what happened last week. Surely we need to do something differently.
Its as if quite a few are being rewarded and lets not pretend that many have had more poor games than just the one last week.

This will be lost at the selection table, no doubt in mind.

I actually find it laughable that we could even be considered in the first or second line of favouritism for the flag, not even close.

Perhaps in 2021 or 2022.

Its as if quite a few are being rewarded and lets not pretend that many have had more poor games than just the one last week.

I actually find it laughable that we could even be considered in the first or second line of favouritism for the flag, not even close.

Perhaps in 2021 or 2022.

It's strange that everybody doesn't agree with all your opinions?

Speed has been one of those weaknesses and Witherden isnt...fast.
Nor are Rich, Birchall or Lester. Or Andrews and Gardiner for that matter.

Witherden gets unfairly singled out for his lack of speed.

We supposedly recruited Ah Chee for his run and carry, not his defensive abilities. Haven’t really seen much of either from him either.

Currently 3rd on the ladder.
So we are not doing too bad with an underperforming bunch.

He's the one I'm surprised has got three games to be honest. Aside from a couple of things, if we're being really honest, he hasn't offered anything offensively and his defensive work isn't much better.

I appreciate he is young and they're trying to get games into him, but surely we should be picking our best 22 and I don't think he and a few others are or deserve to be best 22 players at this stage.
I’ll disagree with you somewhat.

At games, it’s noticeable how TBerry’s speed allows him to really pressure the opposition. Quite often he’s not the man digging in to win the ball, but playing one out of the contest.

We genuinely don’t have a lot of experienced depth on our list, and in many cases our experienced depth might not be up to playing the role someone like TBerry might be performing.

We genuinely don’t have a lot of experienced depth on our list, and in many cases our experienced depth might not be up to playing the role someone like TBerry might be performing.
I'd argue that Christensen was playing this role quite well late last season. He was a tackling machine and putting enormous pressure in opposition defenders, all the while being an offensive weapon and kicking goals. Unfortunately, Tom is none of those things yet and struggles converting the most straight forward kicks that most AFL standard forwards simply convert.

There is heaps of time for Tom and by no means am I saying he doesn't have a big future, just that he is being carried way too much at the moment which is detrimental to our chances of winning IMO.

I'd argue that Christensen was playing this role quite well late last season. He was a tackling machine and putting enormous pressure in opposition defenders, all the while being an offensive weapon and kicking goals. Unfortunately, Tom is none of those things yet and struggles converting the most straight forward kicks that most AFL standard forwards simply convert.

There is heaps of time for Tom and by no means am I saying he doesn't have a big future, just that he is being carried way too much at the moment which is detrimental to our chances of winning IMO.
Tom looks to be covering a lot more ground than Christensen did last year.

Also Christensen might not physically be the same player he was last year. That’s the impression I get.

I'm happy enough with the team we have but we've also had a good rest and need to put in a decent performance this week.

I look at the players who could potentially replace some of the ones we have in there and I don't see much difference on what I've ever seen . I agree Bundy was good in 3 or 4 games last year but there's a big question mark over his fitness I believe.

It's not fetch the boltcutters time just yet.

I'm happy enough with the team we have but we've also had a good rest and need to put in a decent performance this week.

I look at the players who could potentially replace some of the ones we have in there and I don't see much difference on what I've ever seen . I agree Bundy was good in 3 or 4 games last year but there's a big question mark over his fitness I believe.

It's not fetch the boltcutters time just yet.
All well and good but we seem to be one of the few teams at this stage that is rolling with the same 24 odd players. That is going to be unsustainable this year given the condensed rounds. Unless we start changing things around more regularly, I think we’ll have more performances like we did against Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently 3rd on the ladder.
So we are not doing too bad with an underperforming bunch.
And beat 1st.

And 2nd just lost to a team that's been terrible for a few weeks.

Port and us are still the two with the most consistent exposed form since the restart.

I think it's crazy to name an unchanged team after what happened last week. Surely we need to do something differently.

Perhaps in 2021 or 2022.
Two things can be said about selection that everybody will agree with:

1 Fagan doesn't make changes lightly

2 We have very little on which to judge the form of the fringe players

Christensen may have grown an extra leg since I saw him play! While I would like a few changes made I have to say I cannot justify them from both sides of the equation i.e. someone gets dropped and someone gets promoted. I believe a couple of players have had their chance and, if we want to win a flag, we need to move on and try to find better players for their positions.

Perhaps in 2021 or 2022.
Depending on how the season draw ends up, obviously a big advantage playing in QLD, and that will contribute towards our predicted high finish. However I don't believe we will be close next year if we keep playing average older players and don't blood a few young guys. How Lester is keeping Payne out is a worry, especially with Adams injured, Sam must be pressing McStay, Birchall should be managed and Answerth, perhaps Witho (although a little slow) should be in. I was glad young Berry got a shot but might be time for another young guy to get some exposure. Brownie last night said Lions were a bit slow with leg speed in defence.
On the positive side some of the Victorians and the wife's might love QLD winter and depending on list cuts we could end up with an even stronger list

Not sure about no change. Rewarding under performance
Yeah some of the emergencies might be wondering that. Also they have missed out on practice games that the other players left back in Brisbane have been playing like last week against West Coast. To get some games into the emergencies IF there is no changes we might find that the emergencies are rotated. Because with Vic clubs now bringing up their entire squads there will be opportunities to play ressie matches over the next 10 weeks

I think Berry Jnr brings similar attributes as Zac Bailey to our group. We don't have a lot of players who play that style - pressure, pace etc. Zac took time to settle in as well, but he's becoming more consistent this season. Bundy could come in and be good for a couple of goals, but Fagan prefers T Berry as better option long term.

Bundy could come in and be good for a couple of goals, but Fagan prefers T Berry as better option long term.
If that's accurate, it puts paid to the argument that we're not blooding Skinner and friends because we're trying to win as many games as possible this season. I would have introduced a few inexperienced players against Adelaide, it was a missed opportunity to do so. Perhaps it could happen against Melbourne, but they looked better last week than they did previously.

Re how players should be dropped for last weeks performance- rewatched the game and Geelong played out of their skin in that quarter. Can’t see how changing one or two players could have stopped that.
I think in the second quarter we were giving them a bit of lip. It backfired because all it did was spur them on.
We will have learnt from that and will get back to just playing the game.

Really??? When was the last time Fagan & Co rotated players? What makes you believe he will start now?
I agree with you but if all the talk of rushing so many games in, any club that doesnt rotate players will shot themselves in the foot. I get after a long break we may not need to this week. But we definitely will have to soon. Hopefully Fagan has learnt a lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back