Preview Round 6 2023: GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My issue with Gunston is that he offers no forward pressure so he really has to have an impact with the ball otherwise his contribution is a net negative which we saw in rounds 1,2 and 4
Likewise. Fort was better in that regard even considering what others think re his lack of mobility.

I wonder how fit Gunston was coming in to the season. Looked fine in the practice games but really gasping for air once the real games started.

My issue with Gunston is that he offers no forward pressure so he really has to have an impact with the ball otherwise his contribution is a net negative which we saw in rounds 1,2 and 4
It would be great if Gunston, Hippy & Daniher could put a bit more pressure on opponents at times.
But that is not their real role as the 3 talls. They need to mark it or bring the ball to ground or cause a stoppage. Then kick goals of course.
I doubt Forts pressure is much better.
So, most pressure needs to come from our smalls and that looks much better since the round 1 Port game.

Fort unlucky but was the logical player to drop. Gunston is a class player and could yet prove the missing link in a big final. I think Fort's around the ground ability very underrated probably because he is all arms and legs. He is a very quick decision maker and has good disposal. He set up a couple of goals through being able to get the ball on really quickly and accurately which a lot of ruckmen would have struggled with.

Giants do look good on paper. They have done well to retain enough talent with all their departures. I think they will be set for this game - they haven't won at Manuka since 2019 and Kingsley spoke about making it a fortress again. Always makes me wary when a young side has specific motivation on the day.

Still the sort of game we just have to win if we are fair dinkum. I'll be interested if Berry is back doing some minutes in the midfield. Zorko has far exceeded my expectations this year and played a lot of mid minutes last week - I just think we need to avoid going to small when Dunkley is not starting. Any combo of Neale, Zorko, McCluggage and Ashcroft is a bit small / lacking in mongrel i think.

Toby Green kicked 4 last time and ran very free at times. I think Starce spent time on him. He is theoretically a good match up but needs to be told to play him very tight. Maybe Joyce would be another option?

I would play Harris on Hogan as Hogan isn't very fast but has good hands. Payne on Himmelberg.

Probably the biggest strength for GWS is intercept marking so I am hoping we don't get too bomb-happy in to forward 50. Some nice Gunston leads would be good to see. Hipwood and Daniher need to be more focused on bringing the ball to ground than usual.

Green is a big out but Perryman is a handy replacement. Other mids include Coniglio, Kelly and no. 3 pick from 2021 Callaghan. They are no slouches.

Team also incudes aforementioned forward trio, plus Ward, Daniels (remember 2019?!), reigning All-Australian Taylor, Haynes, Whitfield - enough core talent to be a good opponent.

If we roll our sleeves up and apply ourselves we should win. Wouldn't shock me if we start slowly given North were witches hats by the end of last week's game...

It would be great if Gunston, Hippy & Daniher could put a bit more pressure on opponents at times.
But that is not their real role as the 3 talls. They need to mark it or bring the ball to ground or cause a stoppage. Then kick goals of course.
So, most pressure needs to come from our smalls and that looks much better since the round 1 Port game.
Daniher's pressure has been much better (mostly) this year. Gunston isn't fast but pretty good at corralling and as a mid / tall forward rather than straight tall i think he has always been consistent at applying pressure.

CBA.s for both teams.

Fort & Lyons not playing.
Expect Dunkley to have more CBA's this week.

Tom Green not playing with Perryman included.
Josh Kelly may have to spend more time at CBA's.
1682041056485.png
1682041146853.png

Buy McStay brought pressure in 2021. So even if he wasn't kicking goals he was still contributing. Gunston doesn't have that to fall back and is at risk of being exposed for lack of accountability which hurts more as a third tall

Was always going to happen, Gunston for Fort. I, like others, would have kept Fort. We really clicked v North, it would have been good to go in unchanged this week.

Lyons, Cockatoo, Madden and Fort named as emergencies. One to be sub. If we stick with the way we've gone about it this year, and I hope we do, Lyons will go back to Vfl n get a full game. The more miles in his legs while he's fit the better.

I'm happy Madden has put himself into calculations again, I like the way he plays. The thought of 3 Irish lads yapping it up on field makes me giggle a bit. May need an interpreter. Cockatoo provides a big body if needed and from reports is much fitter. And we know what Fort brings. Happy with any of them as sub.
Madden's pace made me look twice in last week's VFL game. He is like a bolt of lightning.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Buy McStay brought pressure in 2021. So even if he wasn't kicking goals he was still contributing. Gunston doesn't have that to fall back and is at risk of being exposed for lack of accountability which hurts more as a third tall

Gunston does demand a defender though. Usually you'll see one of the KPD's go onto him once he starts getting his hands on the ball throughout games.

Sometimes you just need to grab a defender and take him out of the picture as a forward, something our forward line struggles with when kept quiet.

Be
CBA.s for both teams.

View attachment 1666175
View attachment 1666176
Berry 0 and then subbed off. I hope it was planning rather than shoulder sore again. Zorko 32% - i thought higher. We still were a small on the weekend i thought.

Interesting McKenna might play on Green Lions to stalk Greene as Fort waits in wings

I get that you & others prefer Fort over other players.
I just totally agree with the coaches' selections in this area up to round 6.

My thoughts are Fort does not offer any more pressure than the other three preferred talls.
You mentioned Gunston but i included all three. Those 3 are natural forwards Fort is not.

The Lions or the Pies at present don't have McStay and it is not 2021.

In the end I think we can all understand the bad precedent it would set if Gunston got managed and didn’t make it back in. I’d imagine anytime a player would be told they may be managed they’d be against it if they were told they would lose their spot the next week.

I think if Fort plays another cracker in the VFL and Gunston doesn’t perform then they would look to make the change. As others have said as well there every chance Gunston could have carved up North last week as well.

Would prefer Fort right now, but completely understand why Gunston is back in this week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Be

Berry 0 and then subbed off. I hope it was planning rather than shoulder sore again. Zorko 32% - i thought higher. We still were a small on the weekend i thought.

Interesting McKenna might play on Green Lions to stalk Greene as Fort waits in wings
Berry 3 x 0% in five games so basically playing wing.
Named so i assume all is okay with his shoulder.
They most likely wanted to give minutes to Lyons as he attended 9 CBA's in that quarter or 24%.
We were well in front and using the sub was a good call.

I get that you & others prefer Fort over other players.
I just totally agree with the coaches' selections in this area up to round 6.

My thoughts are Fort does not offer any more pressure than the other three preferred talls.
You mentioned Gunston but i included all three. Those 3 are natural forwards Fort is not.

The Lions or the Pies at present don't have McStay and it is not 2021.

It's line ball for me especially if Fort isn't rucking that much but Gunston has to lift based on 15 of the 16 quarters he's played for us so far

McStay was just as an example of a key forward finding other ways to contribute

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy enough with Fages explanation of the change which made sense I suppose.

McKenna vs. Green is something I'd like to see. Two hardnuts going toe to toe.

Madden's pace made me look twice in last week's VFL game. He is like a bolt of lightning.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
I am a fan of Madden, IMO if given a run of games and time to settle into a role would be a pretty good player at AFL level, OOC this season, unfortunately I think he is likely gone at the end of the year either delisted and picked up as a DFA or traded for a late pick.

Berry 3 x 0% in five games so basically playing wing.
Named so i assume all is okay with his shoulder.
They most likely wanted to give minutes to Lyons as he attended 9 CBA's in that quarter or 24%.
We were well in front and using the sub was a good call.
Oh for sure re sub.

Berry played inside mid more in what the pies and dees games? Interesting use if so, saving him for the good teams?

Still the sort of game we just have to win if we are fair dinkum. I'll be interested if Berry is back doing some minutes in the midfield. Zorko has far exceeded my expectations this year and played a lot of mid minutes last week - I just think we need to avoid going to small when Dunkley is not starting. Any combo of Neale, Zorko, McCluggage and Ashcroft is a bit small / lacking in mongrel i think.
This size issue can be managed in picking when to use it. But when we keep mixing Bailey in as well it is concerning how small our midfield combination can be at times. Its a high risk reward combination that can get the ball out and fast, but if we dont get the ball first that is not a group I expect to stop anyone. It would be totally exposed against the Olivers, Cripps, etc giant big bodies.

I still think we played in bursts against North and gave up some easy goals I.e. Stephenson.I don't think it was as good a performance as Collingwood and Melbourne games.North were obviously experimenting and it didn't work.

I think its hard to play consistent high intensity footy against a really poor opposition who plays in little spurts of good footy here and there. They are a different beast to a team like Hawthorn given North had the same games experience as us. So it wasn't like we were up against a team of kids.

CBA.s for both teams.

View attachment 1666175
View attachment 1666176

On our 9 v their 12 little yellow squares. We have more players rotating through the midfield.

That's Fagan's focus on player versatility.

We haven't always like the way Fagan has moved players but now seems like an essential part of a long term premiership contending squad.

Animated GIF
Solid reference :fire:

I still think we played in bursts against North and gave up some easy goals I.e. Stephenson.I don't think it was as good a performance as Collingwood and Melbourne games.North were obviously experimenting and it didn't work.

North's pressure was very good in the first and early in the last. Any team that applies that pressure will go reasonably well.

My big call this week is that Sam Taylor will be comprehensively beaten for the first time in a very long time. He’s probably the best key defender in the comp but I think we can unsettle him a little!
This was the foundation of my deepest jab in the preview and I was hoping for at least a bite or two. GWS's supporter might have missed it though.

I am a fan of Madden, IMO if given a run of games and time to settle into a role would be a pretty good player at AFL level, OOC this season, unfortunately I think he is likely gone at the end of the year either delisted and picked up as a DFA or traded for a late pick.
I like Madden too, but we do have quite a few half back options.
It may depend on how many of the OOC defense players of Rich, McKenna, Ah Chee, Michael and even Cockatoo are resigned.
If his departure frees up a list spot that is just the way things go
A good steak knives part of a trade for a club needing a half back or depth in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back