Review Round 8 2013 - GWS Giants vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Better effort today. Fell away again but really competitive at times. 6 day break and travel so the final quarter effort fade out was not unexpected

Out all day, only saw the last 10 minutes. Must have been better than last week because we didn't lose by as much (against a much better team away from home).

What I saw of Miles I liked - how'd he go for the rest of the game?

Given we lost 193-31 to this mob last year, this effort is better.

I look forward to highlights from this match. Unfortunately Giants lost again but respect for Jeremy Cameron for the 4 goals.

Another acceptable, because it showed effort and improvement, performance from the boys against a very good side.

Can anyone explain for me, why Toby Greene, who last year played at a very high level primarily as a see ball get ball player on the ball, keeps being played this year as a half back flanker, a position that, to me, doesn't suit his skills? Is it to give others a go on ball? Is it to improve his skills, defensive or disposal? I know there is some rotation of half forwards and backs into the centre but Toby seemed to play yesterday almost exclusively in his selected position of half back flank.

Another acceptable, because it showed effort and improvement, performance from the boys against a very good side.

Can anyone explain for me, why Toby Greene, who last year played at a very high level primarily as a see ball get ball player on the ball, keeps being played this year as a half back flanker, a position that, to me, doesn't suit his skills? Is it to give others a go on ball? Is it to improve his skills, defensive or disposal? I know there is some rotation of half forwards and backs into the centre but Toby seemed to play yesterday almost exclusively in his selected position of half back flank.

Treloar and Adams have taken his place in his position (and Miles this week). This is his last chance to pick up some form until he goes back to the NEAFL.

You guys showed plenty of promise and a whole heap of niggle which are good signs moving forward. Much prefer to watch you guys play than GCS, Melbourne or the Saints. Everyone was making jokes that you guys would be keeping an eye on L. Franklin while you were in Tassie. I hope we were keeping an eye on 2 or 3 of your younger guys. Some serious talent there. maybe we could do a swap, wadda ya think?

You guys showed plenty of promise and a whole heap of niggle which are good signs moving forward. Much prefer to watch you guys play than GCS, Melbourne or the Saints. Everyone was making jokes that you guys would be keeping an eye on L. Franklin while you were in Tassie. I hope we were keeping an eye on 2 or 3 of your younger guys. Some serious talent there. maybe we could do a swap, wadda ya think?

Thank you but no thank you.

First of all, Franklin would be bad for our forward structure, which is based around Jeremy Cameron.

Secondly, Franklin's a free agent, which means there is no need to do a swap - anyone who wants him will just offer him cash ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you but no thank you.

First of all, Franklin would be bad for our forward structure, which is based around Jeremy Cameron.

Secondly, Franklin's a free agent, which means there is no need to do a swap - anyone who wants him will just offer him cash ...

Trust me, as a Hawks supporter I know Franklins status. I was more praising some of your young talent.

Treloar and Adams have taken his place in his position (and Miles this week). This is his last chance to pick up some form until he goes back to the NEAFL.
How can you lose a position you aren't being give a chance to play in? Treloar didn't even play against Hawthorne, Adams started in the forward pocket (and seemed to be playing a forward role) and Miles started on the bench and yet Greene still didn't play on ball. He was one of our best last season playing in and under, perhaps would have won the Rising Star except for his reprimand, it seems strange he's not being given a chance there this season. If you play a player out of position they do generally struggle.

Greenes Disposal is letting him down badly, (check out the top ten thread) he gets heaps of the ball but does little with it, in fact some of his disposal kills us, the only one with more clangers would be hampton.
I like Greene a lot but he must inprove his efficiency, a brief spell in the magoos may help him, I doubt his absence will make much difference to the short term results of the team.

Trust me, as a Hawks supporter I know Franklins status. I was more praising some of your young talent.

Yeah, its good how the kids are playing - their disposal efficiency gets a bit better, and we're at least two goals a quarter better.

We wont be able to keep all of them, so there will be opportunities for other clubs.

Greenes Disposal is letting him down badly, (check out the top ten thread) he gets heaps of the ball but does little with it, in fact some of his disposal kills us, the only one with more clangers would be hampton.
I like Greene a lot but he must inprove his efficiency, a brief spell in the magoos may help him, I doubt his absence will make much difference to the short term results of the team.

Greene's DE% for the last two matches has been his best two for the season (72% and 70%) well above his season (62%) and career (64%) averages. The overall AFL average DE% for this season is 71%, GWS's for this season is 70% so your stretching it to use that as an excuse to send him back to the magoos.

Greene's DE% for the last two matches has been his best two for the season (72% and 70%) well above his season (62%) and career (64%) averages. The overall AFL average DE% for this season is 71%, GWS's for this season is 70% so your stretching it to use that as an excuse to send him back to the magoos.
At this point in the teams development I dont have any concerns regarding any player being droped down to gain confidence. I have watched every Giants game and been to every game in Sydney and IMO, regardless of the statistics, He needs a spell. His biggest errors generally come when he is not under pressure which really hurts. I am certainly not saying it would be an extended spell as he is too good for that but it would help. we have plenty of young midfielders that would benfit from some experience in the firsts. This is the saeson to do it. Next season the presure will be on to have more credible onfield performances and we will not be able to experiment as much

Yes, the two games he has down back. I think it has helped since be gets more time with the ball and not needing to rush disposals. I am not sure how effective a defender he can be though. The kid needs more weight to be an effective tackler. I doubt he would be dropped but he has been a liability in the midfield. (well all giants midfielders are liabilities if their initials are not C. W.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back