Review Round 8, 2022: Essendon v Box Hill Hawks, 8 May 2022, 2.10pm @ Windy Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Most were gifted? 1 goal was a downfield free.

Not sure why being able to get free on a lead amd take marks is something to be criticised for? Did you not see any of Dunstalls career? Jeka did everything right on the weekend. Instead of celebrating him kicking 5 you're kicking him in the guts.

Jekas issue is the style of play at the next level and not yet being able to compete to the required level in contested marking situations. He either can't effect influence or he gets caught behind and outpointed. He is still only 20 so with some good coaching can improve in this area to the point he becomes more reliable at the top level.

He went off with a tight string which is why Hartigan went fwd.

I think you should read your own posts before you publish them.
You get me wrong, I am a Jeka fan. I agree with all that you wrote. My point about him getting into the middle is to have him more often exposed to contest footy and then use his sublime skills, as a midfielder, around the ground. As you write, he is too easily out-competed in the contest. So put him into more contests!! (though not the ruck … 😣)

My question of “where was Jeka“ was answered when we found out about his tight hammy.

His goals: from memory Jeka got a Joe-the-goose, was given a free shot on goal with no-one near him directly in front from 30m out after Butler did all the work and drew-in the opposition. The other 3 goals were lace out Dunstall-style goals which is what you want from a CHF. (happy to be corrected if my recollection is inaccurate).

If I was a little harsh on him in my post it is because I can see he could, and hopefully will be, be so much more that a lead up fwd. As you say he is only 20. Time is on his side. But list spots are precious, rookie spots are precarious, and I hope that when he gets his contested game together, it will be for the Hawks and not for some other team.

Last edited:

Ah right, I didn't know that, thanks for the info.
BlueWaterHawk : I agree with you, Furgus Greene should be on an AFL list. Ironically the Dogs could use him now. He could be the icing on the cake for any contending team in the same way that Bailey Frisch (25yrs) has been for Melbourne. His previously being on the Dogs list does not change the fact that at 24 he is coming into the best years of his his footy life. And if Gunston, who is an unrestricted free agent, leaves at the end of the year I’d hope we rookie list Greene ASAP.

Side note: Gunston was at the Box Hill game and I am sure that he was wishing he had (the night before) kicked as straight as Greene did on the Sunday.

Last edited:
You get me wrong, I am a Jeka fan. I agree with all that you wrote. My point about him getting into the middle is to have him more often exposed to contest footy and then use his sublime skills, as a midfielder, around the ground. As you write, he is too easily out-competed in the contest. So put him into more contests!! (though not the ruck … 😣)

My question of “where was Jeka“ was answered when we found out about his tight hammy.

His goals: from memory Jeka got a Joe-the-goose, was given a free shot on goal with no-one near him directly in front from 30m out after Butler did all the work and drew-in the opposition. The other 3 goals were lace out Dunstall-style goals which is what you want from a CHF. (happy to be corrected if my recollection is inaccurate).

If I was a little harsh on him in my post it is because I can see he could, and hopefully will be, be so much more that a lead up fwd. As you say he is only 20. Time is on his side. But list spots are precious, rookie spots are precarious, and I hope that when he gets his contested game together, it will be for the Hawks and not for some other team.
It will be for the Hawks. It seems we're invested in him and I think he'll be Gunston's replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back