Game Day Round 8, 2023 v Geelong at Kardinia Park. Crows by a cat's whisker?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are heading southeast today to a wintry Kardinia Park. According to some we should not even turn up, such is the inevitably of defeat at this Crow’s graveyard that we always seem to be scheduled at and where we haven’t won in 20 years. Others, the glass half full supporters, believe we are turning the corner and that this year’s Crows are on the up. With some outs for the Cat’s, these supporters think we are at least a chance.

To be sure, beating the Cats at their home fortress is a tough ask. We will have to be at our best and have our goal kicking boots on. Perhaps we might even need that bit of luck and late individual brilliance that we saw in the game at Launceston.

It looks like the Crows are really setting themselves for this one after losing a game that should have been won last week. There is a fair bit at stake, given our precarious position on the ladder. We can either consolidate our place in the eight or leave ourselves very vulnerable. If things go our way, I think we can win. If so, we would have passed an important litmus test. What are your thoughts? Is this 'mission impossible'? Please do share your game day musings with us here.

Last edited:
As much as I posted Cats by 147 on the main board because I love to play the victim card I think we are a chance to win. At the very least to make a game of it. Our contested game allows it, that kind of gameplan doesn't factor in ground dimensions.

We also love to bite off that kick back inside. We don't naturally play wide unless we are 22 pts up in the last qtr trying to hold onto a lead with 10 mins to go.

Im not going to be surprised if we do get beaten by 5 goals. I'd be a bit disappointed to lose by much more than that. Not suprised if it's a close lose or win either.

We just have to kick more goals than points, that's the objective. Even if its 10.8 and we lose by 20 pts that's better than 6.12. Need to dismiss goalkicking yips early which we did when we went on the 4 game run.

Will be a great test for Murray no matter which of the big 2 forwards he goes to. I expect him to pass with flying colours. His 1st half especially in the Collingwood game was excellent, hope he gets off to the same kind of start - makes the forwards worry about him!

I'm glad our forwards seem pissed at themselves, the lack of sharing around last week (especially literally never giving to Keays who was everywhere) was disgraceful. If we fixed that, the set shot accuracy wouldn't matter, because we had so, so many open looks stuffed up.

So today could actually go our way, but it needs our exceptional best but not just for 2 quarters like last week, more like 4 as we did against the Power. And our defense has improved a lot since R3.

Can't wait :)

Funny thing about these early start games is they can sometimes favor the traveling side, or at least the home side (and crowd) can take a while to get going.

That said, I expect some of our younger guys to struggle with the dimensions of the ground and give up more turnovers than we can afford.

Funny thing about these early start games is they can sometimes favor the traveling side, or at least the home side (and crowd) can take a while to get going.

That said, I expect some of our younger guys to struggle with the dimensions of the ground and give up more turnovers than we can afford.
Its the wind coming across the redevelopment combined with the wintery conditions that has me really worried about our goal kicking...it has the potential to be a horrid day for us in front of goal

I am expecting a loss, but there is plenty I am excited to see this arvo.

1. How much time Rachele spends in the middle. Had his lowest amount of CBA's last week.

2. How much time Keays/Sloane see in the middle.

Whether our forward line responds (minus Peds) to last weeks terrible performance.

If we start off like the Blues game and kick straight we are a chance. If we have another repeat of last week and miss everything then the cats will win this easily.

I am more confident than I normally would be with a trip to Geelong, but I think the Cats will still win.

Cats by 15

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Want to see nicks giving it to supporters after we win!
Need an update photo.

Would be better if the Geelong fans in front of him had zero interaction with him during the game.

Final siren blows and he just gives it to them. The fans don't get the reference and just feel unnerved by the whole experience.

Last edited:
An opportunity missed last week

Interesting to see what impact this has. Young teams can be up and down with confidence. Will it deflate us to a degree? Knock our confidence around?

Or will it steel our resolve and drive us to put up a strong performance here?

Cats by a billion. Cameron and Hawkins to feast on Murray and Butts. Danger to rack up 38, of which 4 will be decent, well directed kicks. Commentators to mention Cats dynasty 309 times..and call for a 5th redevelopment of the Unskilled Stadium…

I am expecting a loss, but there is plenty I am excited to see this arvo.

1. How much time Rachele spends in the middle. Had his lowest amount of CBA's last week.

2. How much time Keays/Sloane see in the middle.

Whether our forward line responds (minus Peds) to last weeks terrible performance.

With the pressure mounting, Nicks and his crew reverted to type. We saw it final quarter last week, players went defensive and the old crew gobbled up almost all the midfield minutes despite being destroyed in there. We've seen this the previous 2 years and there's a fair chance it'll continue today. Kids shunted from important roles and the 'sideways before only perfect or deep entries going forward'. Winning or losing is irrelevant, all that matters is how we go about it. And I reckon we'll be in the game for a fair while, everything in our favour in terms of availability. But doubt we can win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back