Game Day Collingwood v The Crows Sunday 28th June, 2023 at the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
No game day thread yet? There is a lot at stake. A win and we can jump into 5th spot and entrench ourselves in the 8. We are on the big stage which is the MCG. Weather doesn't look too bad. The chance of a shower or two but not too much. Will be interesting to see how the polarizing Lachlan Sholl goes on the big ground. The wide flanks may well suit him. They have a few out. We haven't traveled well so far this year. I think we are a chance if we can get over the travel aspect. The new signings have created some excitement and morale is high. Should be an enthralling arm wrestle. If we are on, the Crows by a couple to avenge the one that got away against the Pies at Adelaide Oval a couple of months ago.

With the way the Pies are going at their home deck, and how we’re travelling away, it’s going to be a minor miracle if we can somehow pull out a win. I think the realistic hope/expectation is a competitive close loss, which I would regard as a relative “win”. Can’t see the Pies losing too many games at the G this season.

Would be great to see Tex bag another big one, and all the recently signed-on lads to play handy roles in this game. Keep the team morale going, pretty please!

Going to be a massive test. Would love to pick us to win but I'm struggling to see us win this. Would love it if I'm wrong though.

Hopefully the boys are all on a high after the signing spree over the bye and come out firing and we can somehow get a win.

Just checking on the last few matches we’ve had against the Pies, amazing how we match quite well against them:

1. Crows 73 vs Pies 78

1. Crows 58 vs Pies 100
2. Crows 86 vs Pies 91

1. Crows 58 vs Pies 59

That’s 3 out of the last 4 matches we’ve lost by within a goal! And on average, losing by 2 goals in the last 4 games.
Just on observing the last 2 results against them, and how much of a barometer they’ve been this year, it likely shows our rebuild is going in the right path.

Typical Melbourne dark , icy day here but not wet or overly windy ( yet )

Hopefully we can get out ball movement going like we did in first quarter against them in Adelaide before the rain came

This game has a fair bit riding on it. We win we go to 5th and conceivably we consolidate it next week with the Kangas at home (but wouldn't it be so Adelaide Crows to win today and lose next week?).

But it also, I think, puts the pies into a bit of disarray with it being 2 losses in a row on their home deck no less. I'd listen to a bit of Vic radio this week to hear the fallout.

It's also an opportunity for the young kids to experience the G for premiership points. There is a chance if we reach finals we have to play there (notwithstanding the total inevitability of us making the GF) so the exposure shouldn't be wasted by Nicks and the team.

The win would do a hell of a lot for our self-belief. As much as we have had some poor losses to teams around us, if we can pick off a third top 4 team then that's arguably much more important to where we want to be in 12 months time.

Collingwood are not even a team full of really great players, I reckon individually they would struggle to make top 4 with their squad but they are getting max value out of their system as Richmond did. So if we win today it's because Nicks did it through the week and maybe a bit today unpacking that system.

It's incredibly difficult to pick us, but these are the types of games where you aren't given a sniff, you've already lost to them once this year but they are coming off the bye (so are we but shh), got a few out, the rain will fall and you can't help but wonder - what if?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every single game over the bye rounds has fallen our way. There's a massive opportunity at the G.. I'm not predicting a win but if we do we end Round 14 in 5th.
Yes, except Cats winning as if we lose we are likely out of the 8 at their expense

Cold swirling wind, and very overcast.

Getting flashbacks to 2017 GF.

Reminiscing with enjoying this umpiring gem from our 2nd to last win at the G

There 20 minute+ compilations on YouTube of awful umpiring decisions (we could fill one on our own with the 2012 PF against Hawthorn - gee they love playing us knowing they have the full support of the umpires), many of which lead to goals and yet we are basically the last major professional code to not have some sort of challenge system or a robust review system.

I don't consider potato-quality cameras on the goal line a robust system. People werent up in arms over where the ball was touched a mm over or before the line, they get annoyed by the decisions that led to the kick - bring in a challenge system.

Cold swirling wind, and very overcast.

Getting flashbacks to 2017 GF.

Reminiscing with enjoying this umpiring gem from our 2nd to last win at the G

Otten had to come out for Milera on that day. Bad blue by Pyke as conditions were bad for tall marking forwards

I'd give us a 10% chance of winning - no more than that. It's a 'watch it for the kids' sort of game. If we compete well and don't let Collingwood pump us just because they're at home, I'd be happy. If we win, that's a great psychological foundation for this group of players whom we will need to win a premiership.

I think the space of the 'G' will suit our 'chip to the player on the angle' to move the ball forward game plan.
Hopefully ROB can play well in the ruck and give us a small advantage around the stoppages
I feel the club has an upbeat feel to it which hopefully gives us a good chance today.

I'd give us a 10% chance of winning - no more than that. It's a 'watch it for the kids' sort of game. If we compete well and don't let Collingwood pump us just because they're at home, I'd be happy. If we win, that's a great psychological foundation for this group of players whom we will need to win a premiership.
My mates and I go to a match in Melbourne every year plus finals. We have never seen a Crows victory over Collingwood in Melbourne (I think we are 0-6). Anyone who thinks we will win today has never seen a Peanuts cartoon.

Victoria Park; 0 wins - 6 losses. Thank god we were too young and too scared to attend any of these. Check out the replay of the 1998:eek:ne point loss.

Docklands; 4 wins - 3 losses. I wonder why we don’t play them at Docklands anymore?

MCG; 3 wins - 8 losses and a draw.

We are also 8 Wins - 15 losses in Adelaide .

The last 8 games are 7 losses and a draw.

You’re telling me we’re a chance? Tell him he’s dreamin!

My mates and I go to a match in Melbourne every year plus finals. We have never seen a Crows victory over Collingwood in Melbourne (I think we are 0-6). Anyone who thinks we will win today has never seen a Peanuts cartoon.

Victoria Park; 0 wins - 6 losses. Thank god we were too young and too scared to attend any of these. Check out the replay of the 1998:eek:ne point loss.

Docklands; 4 wins - 3 losses. I wonder why we don’t play them at Docklands anymore?

MCG; 3 wins - 8 losses and a draw.

We are also 8 Wins - 15 losses in Adelaide .

The last 8 games are 7 losses and a draw.

You’re telling me we’re a chance? Tell him he’s dreamin!
When you are a Crows fan, dreaming is all we've got to keep us going

I would give a reasonable chance to win this but for one thing, This is the MCG! If we look like being a chance the Umps will get involved and make sure of the desired outcome, I'm not a betting man but I'd happily put money on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back