Game Day Collingwood v The Crows Sunday 28th June, 2023 at the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite popular opinion, most Crows fans are respectful šŸ˜‚. And I am sure you are a decent supporter, but I am pretty sure if I went to your board after say a 3 point loss to talk about ā€œmistakesā€ you would understand my positionā€¦.anyway, just beat Port in a GF and all is forgivenā€¦
So much paranoia about Port playing in/winning the grand final. The teams this season are way too even for there to be any challengers locked in against the Pies who everyone seems to unanimously agree will be there at the end.

I will happily admit that when it comes to things that result in us losing (like poor players in our team, poor selection decisions and poor umpiring) iā€™m one of the first to melt the fxxk down!..

But strangely.. I didnt find the umpiring that bad yesterday..

Sure Dawson and Laird shouldve got frees.. but I think the umpire was blindsided for Lairds in the back and, watching the replay, the dawson one all happened in a split second the play was that fast.. if the umpire was blinking in that millisecond he wouldve missed it..

The Rankine goal/non goal couldnt ever be overtuned on the footage.. it was simply impossible to tell.

I thought the Cox tackle on Dawson on the wing that resulted in a free to Dawson and a goal to the crows wasnt a free at all.

The sloane hold on Daicos free was just ridiculous but youā€™ve gotta ask ā€œWTF was sloane even doing grabbing Daicos in that situation?ā€.. tells me sloane knows heā€™s far too old and slow to keep up with a young player so he has to do illegal actions to restrict him.. which tells me sloane needs to retire.

At the end of the day.. I think our continued selections of players that just arent good enough are what lost it for us yesterday more than the umpiring.

Swap Keays, sholl, murphy and maybe even sloane out..

for mcadam, cook, shoenberg and another young player like Nankervis and we wouldve won.

Iā€™d also blame some early missed goals too but the Pies missed some sitters as well which evened up that ledger..
Keays made some mistakes, and I agree is not good to be in the side we want to be.

But Murphy was a passenger in the second half, 1 kick.

That second half was Finals like. He showed that level of game is beyond him.

Basically down a stoppage rotation.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I will happily admit that when it comes to things that result in us losing (like poor players in our team, poor selection decisions and poor umpiring) iā€™m one of the first to melt the fxxk down!..

But strangely.. I didnt find the umpiring that bad yesterday..

Sure Dawson and Laird shouldve got frees.. but I think the umpire was blindsided for Lairds in the back and, watching the replay, the dawson one all happened in a split second the play was that fast.. if the umpire was blinking in that millisecond he wouldve missed it..

The Rankine goal/non goal couldnt ever be overtuned on the footage.. it was simply impossible to tell.

I thought the Cox tackle on Dawson on the wing that resulted in a free to Dawson and a goal to the crows wasnt a free at all.

The sloane hold on Daicos free was just ridiculous but youā€™ve gotta ask ā€œWTF was sloane even doing grabbing Daicos in that situation?ā€.. tells me sloane knows heā€™s far too old and slow to keep up with a young player so he has to do illegal actions to restrict him.. which tells me sloane needs to retire.

At the end of the day.. I think our continued selections of players that just arent good enough are what lost it for us yesterday more than the umpiring.

Swap Keays, sholl, murphy and maybe even sloane out..

for mcadam, cook, shoenberg and another young player like Nankervis and we wouldve won.

Iā€™d also blame some early missed goals too but the Pies missed some sitters as well which evened up that ledger..
The Sloane 50 was total bs. It was stupid of sloane to grab him but that happens in most games and doesn't get given. What's bad is that the umpire behind waves advantage but is then talked into the 50 by Daicos and Pendlebury. Daicos admitted it post game to Montagna in an interview that he and Pendlebury talked the umpire into changing his decision from advantage to a 50. That's essentially conspiring with an opposition to influence a game.

The Rankine one should have been given a goal by the goal umpire and then taken it to review. He would clearly have seen Rankine's boot touch the ball before the line. I think the worst of all was Laird being jumped on in the back and nearly pushed through the turf 25 out. It was obvious to all and that's a free kick every day of the week yet the umpires choose to ignore it. The Dawson one was a free every day of the week but I can somewhat see why it was missed.

At the end of the day we should have won that game but too often our small forwards aren't finishing their set shots and sone aren't even making the distance from 35 metres out. It can't always be Walker to get us over the line. Rankine, Rachele, Pedlar must kick their set shots and start contributing more. We also need more from Fogarty and Thilthorpe. I agree we need players such as Sholl, Murphy, Keays out. Sloane should be used as a sub and I definitely wouldn't give him another year because if we do he will line up in the centre square for 23 rounds next year. Nick's needs to start exposing Pedlar, Soligo, Rachele to more midfield time. I also want to see Nank, Cook, Schoenberg. Nick's is too conservative and it may cost us finals.

Last edited:

The Sloane 50 was total bs. It was stupid of sloane to grab him but that happens in most games and doesn't get given. What's bad is that the umpire behind waves advantage but is then talked into the 50 by Daicos and Pendlebury. Daicos admitted it post game to Montagna in an interview that he and Pendlebury talked the umpire into changing his decision from advantage to a 50. That's essentially conspiring with an opposition to influence a game.

The Rankine one should have been given a goal by the goal umpire and then taken it to review. He would clearly have seen Rankine's boot touch the ball before the line. I think the worst of all was Laird being jumped on in the back and nearly pushed through the turf 25 out. It was obvious to all and that's a free kick every day of the week yet the umpires choose to ignore it. The Dawson one was a free every day of the week but I can somewhat see why it was missed.

At the end of the day we should have won that game but too often our small forwards aren't finishing their set shots and sone aren't even making the distance from 35 metres out. It can't always be Walker to get us over the line. Rankine, Rachele, Pedlar must kick their set shots and start contributing more. We also need more from Fogarty and Thilthorpe. I agree we need players such as Sholl, Murphy, Keays out. Sloane should be used as a sub and I definitely wouldn't give him another year because if we do he will line up in the centre square for 23 rounds next year. Nick's needs to start exposing Pedlar, Soligo, Rachele to more midfield time. I also want to see Nank, Cook, Schoenberg. Nick's is too conservative and it may cost us finals.
I think the Daicos / Pendlebury incident needs to investigated. Like, how on earth is it possible under the rules to convince an umpire to change a decision AFTER THE FACT!!!!!

This is why we are being traumatised by this close losses and unfortunately I was there yesterday for yet another close loss.

Now this is amazing stat - Collingwood lead Adelaide 33-15 in the overall win/loss record. Now of those 48 games, 16, which is a third, have been decided by less than 6 points - Collingwood have won 12 and Adelaide 4. And there is a draw as well.

Keays made some mistakes, and I agree is not good to be in the side we want to be.

Unfortunately for Murphy and Sholl our top end is not strong enough for us to carry weak links in the 19-22 spots

Credit to McHenry. Surely he's earned a chance to play a full game?

It's a reasonable defense to say the umpire was blindsided on the Laird in the back, with the exception that on the broadcast you can hear the umpire (Stevic?) yell no as Laird went to ground. He wasn't blind-sided, he made his decision early he wasn't paying that in front of goal.

It's a reasonable defense to say the umpire was blindsided on the Laird in the back, with the exception that on the broadcast you can hear the umpire (Stevic?) yell no as Laird went to ground. He wasn't blind-sided, he made his decision early he wasn't paying that in front of goal.
After paying Collingwood's frees which resulted in them getting in front, it was completely clear to me that the umps had decided that there was no way they were going to pay any frees at all during Adelaide's late efforts. It was finals umpiring. Paradoxically, they were terrified of being accused of deciding the match at the death.

I reckon the score-review ump was also terrified of giving the correct decision on Rankine's goal and took the coward's way out there as well.

After paying Collingwood's frees which resulted in them getting in front, it was completely clear to me that the umps had decided that there was no way they were going to pay any frees at all during Adelaide's late efforts. It was finals umpiring. Paradoxically, they were terrified of being accused of deciding the match at the death.

I reckon the score-review ump was also terrified of giving the correct decision on Rankine's goal and took the coward's way out there as well.
Thereā€™s no way the score review ump couldve overturned that..

The ball came off rankines foot but there was no clear evidence that the pies player didnt touch it..

I reckon the goal umpire 1) didnt think rankine even got a boot on it for a start and 2) probably believed the pies defender touched it after anyway.. he was on the wrong side of the contest to really see it clearly.

His call of ā€œbelieving it was a pointā€ really couldnt be comprehensively overturned on the footage they had.

Not sure what Iā€™m saying here, but Rachele with only 3 touches in the 2nd half soligo only 2 in the last qtr

Thereā€™s no way the score review ump couldve overturned that..

The ball came off rankines foot but there was no clear evidence that the pies player didnt touch it..

I reckon the goal umpire 1) didnt think rankine even got a boot on it for a start and 2) probably believed the pies defender touched it after anyway.. he was on the wrong side of the contest to really see it clearly.

His call of ā€œbelieving it was a pointā€ really couldnt be comprehensively overturned on the footage they had.
I understand your point, but I reckon the front-on shot shows that the oppo have their hand on the ball as it is kicked out of it. Nothing touches it afterwards.

I understand your point, but I reckon the front-on shot shows that the oppo have their hand on the ball as it is kicked out of it. Nothing touches it afterwards.
I reckon it definitely came off the inside of Rankineā€™s boot.. just too hard for my eyes to pick up anything after that..

If it was me making the decision I wouldā€™ve referred it back to the umpires call..

I reckon it definitely came off the inside of Rankineā€™s boot.. just too hard for my eyes to pick up anything after that..

If it was me making the decision I wouldā€™ve referred it back to the umpires call..
Rankine was claiming he kicked it. The fact the umpire checked it out suggest he was more than unsure. He should have called the goal if it was in dispute. I believe the goal umpire knew Rankine touched it but may have thought it was over the line when kicked. Goal umpire left too much open for the reviewer to overturn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can these Collingwood fans piss off to their own board, let us revel in the 5 stages of grief alone and in peace?

You've beaten us by 1 point and 2 points in the two games this year take your ******* 8 premiership points and leave us heartbroken folks alone.
I'd be mad if I had no teeth too. They need to vent somewhere.

This was the beginning of the attack that got you back within a goal.

Ok that should have been paid. No doubt. But would you agree however that the Dawson free kick was there? Just interestedā€¦.
He got whacked in the mouth - pretty confident that's a free every day of the week.

It was a hard one to see though - at least on the telecast it was - I'm usually wincing at all the close shaves - but didn't even notice that until he went up to the umpire.

He got whacked in the mouth - pretty confident that's a free every day of the week.

It was a hard one to see though - at least on the telecast it was - I'm usually wincing at all the close shaves - but didn't even notice that until he went up to the umpire.

Ok - at least unlike most of the supporters at the game you admit it was a free kick šŸ˜‚.

I was also at the game - my query is just how did 4 umpires not see it - and that isnt some perceived ā€œvictorian biasā€, that isnt the crowd and the noise of affirmation, that is simply umpiring incompetencyā€¦the simple reality is that, by going to 4 umps, we have reduced the quality of umpiring..and decisions like this (30m out with 11 seconds left) will keep happeningā€¦

Ok - at least unlike most of the supporters at the game you admit it was a free kick šŸ˜‚.

I was also at the game - my query is just how did 4 umpires not see it - and that isnt some perceived ā€œvictorian biasā€, that isnt the crowd and the noise of affirmation, that is simply umpiring incompetencyā€¦the simple reality is that, by going to 4 umps, we have reduced the quality of umpiring..and decisions like this (30m out with 11 seconds left) will keep happeningā€¦
Watch the replay.. it happened all so quick it actually was almost hard to see it.. easy to see once you can put the footage into slomo..

it was also in that strange twilight zone of the game when the umpires always seem to put away the whistle.. especially when its a close contest.

Watch the replay.. it happened all so quick it actually was almost hard to see it.. easy to see once you can put the footage into slomo..

it was also in that strange twilight zone of the game when the umpires always seem to put away the whistle.. especially when its a close contest.
Most incidents happen quickly. And this was on the ball, so no excuses for it being not picked up to my mind.

Bloody tough game to umpire, particularly with the constant interpretation tweaks, but yes umpiring does seem to be declining. They shouldn't miss hit to the head and Check out where the umpire is for Rankine's spot of rugby. Bizarre.

Bloody tough game to umpire, particularly with the constant interpretation tweaks, but yes umpiring does seem to be declining. They shouldn't miss hit to the head and Check out where the umpire is for Rankine's spot of rugby. Bizarre.
I'm pretty sure you could find a missed throw or three for every team in every game. I mean if Keaths effort from a few weeks ago wasn't paid, this is nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back