Preview Round 8. Freo Vs North Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does every Freo supporter hate it when Ballantyne or Walters does it and draws a free kick. Thomas is singled out because 2-3 years ago he was actually ducking the head and got a reputation for it. Now he drops his knees or lifts the arm just like many other players in the AFL.

So does every Freo supporter hate it when Ballantyne or Walters does it and draws a free kick. Thomas is singled out because 2-3 years ago he was actually ducking the head and got a reputation for it. Now he drops his knees or lifts the arm just like many other players in the AFL.

Yep! Can't stand it.

I don't think smoochie was expecting those kinds of responses. In fairness it is rare to see opposition fans being critical of their players ducking, it's a celebrated tradition at West Coast for one. I don't think Thomas ducks any worse than any other small player these days though, it's the diving and OTT accentuating of contact that makes him a campaigner.

So does every Freo supporter hate it when Ballantyne or Walters does it
Absolutely, I think we were diving over ourselves to start up the Walters thread on here. Walters is very lucky he is based in WA or by now he would probably have dethroned Thomas as the number one media target. Goes to ground nearly every time he gets the ball in a contest and we all hate it, bad habit that has more than just crept into his game, it has completely taken over. As others have noted, he looked to have tried to eradicate it over the weekend but the umps are now onto him and he has to wear head high contact now for a period until he can nullify the "boy cried wolf" tag he has earned himself, rightfully. Absolutely love Son Son but it is shiezen behaviour and has diminished his returns and short term standing for mine.

Saturday 23 May
Summary
light-showers.png

Min 8
Max 21
Possible shower developing.
Perth area
Mostly sunny morning. Slight (30%) chance of a shower developing in the afternoon and evening. Light winds

Absolutely, I think we were diving over ourselves to start up the Walters thread on here. Walters is very lucky he is based in WA or by now he would probably have dethroned Thomas as the number one media target. Goes to ground nearly every time he gets the ball in a contest and we all hate it, bad habit that has more than just crept into his game, it has completely taken over. As others have noted, he looked to have tried to eradicate it over the weekend but the umps are now onto him and he has to wear head high contact now for a period until he can nullify the "boy cried wolf" tag he has earned himself, rightfully. Absolutely love Son Son but it is shiezen behaviour and has diminished his returns and short term standing for mine.
Whilst Sonny definitely has his moments, to be totally fair to him he is one of few players in the league who can genuinely duck under & out of a tackle & burst away with the ball.
Hard to call I know but I reckon there is a noticeable difference when he's going for this

That's the thing with Sonny - I think most of the time he is ducking as a genuine attempt to evade a tackle, but it looks silly and the umpires have stopped paying it if when he ducks to evade a tackle and gets whacked on the head instead.

That's the thing with Sonny - I think most of the time he is ducking as a genuine attempt to evade a tackle, but it looks silly and the umpires have stopped paying it if when he ducks to evade a tackle and gets whacked on the head instead.
Could be the boxing. Apparently he's lightning quick

Whilst Sonny definitely has his moments, to be totally fair to him he is one of few players in the league who can genuinely duck under & out of a tackle & burst away with the ball.
Hard to call I know but I reckon there is a noticeable difference when he's going for this
Agreed, Sonny sees the game in 360 degrees. Backwards and down are just as valid directions as forwards and up.

The hate for Linsey Thomas stems from the umps falling for his antics and constantly paying him frees. Freo have never got this royal treatment, in fact Walters gets his head taken off regularly to the sounds of "play on"!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Y
Easy to fix. Ducking to be defined as "initiating contact above the shoulders". Play on. It's what the umpires should be doing right now. The only reason they don't is to protect Joel Selwood - a favourite son of a favourite team.
Then Hams, Shuey, Selwoods, Thomas, Bartel, Christensen would stop doing it. In our side it tends to be Suban who does it. Walters just lowers his head and tries to duck under the tackle, often but not always successfully.

Edit:
Yes playing for frees is a form of cheating. The aim of men in this game is to win the ball fairly, and if you are infringed you get a free. Any attempt to draw a free is a form of cheating. It makes the game less of a true contest.

I don't think you understand what cheating is because what you described is more not in the spirit of the game.

The hysteria around Thomas is laughable and the reaction from the opposition even more so. Let's hope it continues ;)

I guess that's what frustrates us supporters is that both Thomas and Walters do attempt to milk frees but both are very good footballers and when they concentrate on playing the game they can be brilliant.

Anyway back to the game

I think Freo will be too good for us this week. We aren't playing well and we are missing our 3 best mids and against your midfield which i rate the best then I think we will struggle.

Y

I don't think you understand what cheating is because what you described is more not in the spirit of the game.

The hysteria around Thomas is laughable and the reaction from the opposition even more so. Let's hope it continues ;)
Dude, we are talking footy. You want everyone to say "against the spirit of the game" every time someone manipulates the rule book then good luck. For the rest of us, its cheating. Thomas does it as does Walters.
Hopefully they decide against doing it sooner rather than later.

Dude, we are talking footy. You want everyone to say "against the spirit of the game" every time someone manipulates the rule book then good luck. For the rest of us, its cheating. Thomas does it as does Walters.
Hopefully they decide against doing it sooner rather than later.

Agree

So does every Freo supporter hate it when Ballantyne or Walters does it and draws a free kick.
Not 100% sure for myself. Prefer people to take it on themselves and not hoping for a whistle. But I think some outrageous staging by some players somehow adds flavour to the game. Like a lot of controversial opposing players as well. Actually thinking about it I especially dislike all those players that gesture or talk to an umpire in a demanding way after a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back