Game Day Round 8 - Port v Crows - Showdown 55 (Chug Jug Edition) (Go Port)

Will Port get the Victory Royale in Showdown 55?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, would we have lost much trading Wines and seeking crouch cheap, he plays the role everyone wants Wines to solely be?

If you’re right, I hope we play JHF on him, maximise the hurt
I would trade Wines but we don’t need a crab like Crouch in to replace him. Would rather uplift the midfield minutes of Drew, JHF, Rozee, Butters, bring Mead into the rotation more consistently and give Houston/Bergman some mid time if needed.

I disagree with the entire premise of the post that all 23 players have a big impact on the result.
Fine, but that doesn't address the 'we could be using that spot to develop Sinn or Tommy Alphabet rather than wasting it on an SANFL player who's reached his peak' argument.
I disagree with the idea that our bottom 6 or 7 players are worse than those of other teams including last year's premier.
Not our bottom 6 or 7. Just the bottom 1.

Collingwood's closest equivalent to Jed McEntee is Beau McCreery. Let's compare the two. And we'll use last year's averages for Jed you can't whinge about people using McEntee's sub game averages, as if his averages in full games aren't also dogshit.

More disposals at a higher disposal efficiency, more inside 50's, more goals, more goal assists, and nearly twice as many tackles (because again, Jed isn't actually particularly good at defensive pressure, the one thing he's supposed to be good at).

I disagree that a player like McEntee makes more critical errors in a game than the big name players do.
Of course he doesn't. You need to actually get the ball before you can make a critical error with it.

I disagree with your disingenuous use of statistical averages.
I disagree with your disingenuous whingeing about people using averages for McEntee that include sub games when his averages are still terrible when you exclude the sub games.

I know we aren’t winning it, we know we aren't winning it, the fans know we aren’t winning it, the coach knows we aren’t winning it and the players know we aren’t winning it.

Absolutely zero faith in this club and team.

Never been more certain in losing a showdown, don't see how anyone can have any confidence in a win tonight. All evidence shows that this group absolutely melts under pressure, and the one thing crows will bring is a high-intensity pressure.

• Crouch and Laird to rack up 70 uninspiring touches between them but completely mitigate our midfield's ability to get first possession
  • Tex to kick 5+ with no AA and BZT to have his first genuinely off game for Port
  • Curtin and Michaelanny to take a billionty intercept marks between them and absolutely humiliate the older, bigger Dixon and Marshall

Last two games against Adelaide:

Round 3, 2023 - The ghost of Tom Joad Jonas and Tom Clurey were playing for us in defence. Thilthorpe kicked 5 goals (he's not playing), Pedlar kicked 3 goals (he's not playing).

Round 20, 2023 - Wayne Milera had 32 disposals (he's not playing). Dante Visentini (he's not playing) was rucking against O'Brien. Willie Rioli wasn't playing. Aliir and Jones knock themselves out in the first quarter.

So in other words:

PORT

OUT: Powell-Pepper, Aliir, Evans, Finlayson, Visentini, Duursma

IN: Ratugolea, Zerk-Thatcher, Rioli, Georgiades, Mead, Burgoyne, Sweet

Most people would agree that the current Port line up is stronger, even without Powell-Pepper, Aiir and Finlayson in it.

ADELAIDE

OUT: Thilthorpe, Milera, Doedee, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Murphy, Sloane, McAdam

IN: Himmelberg, Curtin, Cook, McHenry, Sholl, Butts, Worrell, Rachelle

Most people would agree that the current Adelaide line up is weaker.

One thing we need to do to win is get to the ground ball first, especially in defence. Between Adelaide and Port, Adelaide has 19 players in the top 30 for average groundball gets to our 11. The main culprits are Williams (the worst - averaging 1 per game), followed by Farrell (2.1 per game), Burton (2.8 per game) and Jones (3.1 per game).

Compare that to Smith (3.7), Worell (3.4) and Butts (3.3). Hell, even Mark Keane (2.3) averages more ground ball gets per game than Williams and Farrell. Now, part of this is due to our style limiting the number of defensive 50s we concede...but part of it is just poor defending.

Champion Data says until we fix this defensive ground ball game, we can't be considered premiership contenders.

We should be treating this game as a dress rehearsal for next week. If this team wants to regain the credits it lost against Collingwood, then we win this game and then do what most will consider impossible and beat Geelong at Kardinia.[/S]

Quietly confident as we are the better team right now, but this group is really mentally weak led by the old man who said finals are scary

On the other Showdown thread, I found it completely bizarre that people believe that the selection of the last few players for the team is not a big deal. I understand chronic overreactions are a bit too much but to flip the other way is just bizarre.

Let me try and basically dispel this notion. Every player in the 23 is vitally important to winning games. The idea that we have a whole heap of big cogs in our top players and they are going to win us games and the little cogs at the bottom of the barrel is just plain nonsense. Every player can contribute and play well in any given moment.

To me, it seems like BigFooty gaslighting and you can see how the overall loser culture of Bottom 10 Ken and the Kockle Brother does make it onto this forum as best it can.

In fact, I've been meaning to say that one of the reasons why we are so inconsistent is this very matter. Now, there are a few problems but we have great AA players and sniffing around it but it can be easily undone with players with little to no impact at a position or a negative or net loss. When you have players like this, other players have to make up for them and it stresses them and their bodies out completely.

You can have Butters and Rozee and Houston with a couple of great plays to score goals or give our forwards a chance but then later in the game, Burton loses his man a couple of times and it is all equalled out. You can have Houston running amok off half back but then Jed's man is running off him at will as well and it cancels out. These types of scenarios kill the team and the psychology of the team as well because they know they will have to perform Herculean efforts to win to cover for the problematic players.

The idea that McEntee and Burton don't have Gold passes is laughable. Their form has been very poor for a very long time. A real football coach would have them nowhere near the team for a while until the perform the basics of their positions. Yes, the idea of a gold pass is they don't get dropped with bad form but it can also be applied to the appalling form and getting a wrap on the knuckles of one week out and coming back in.

To be dropped for one week and then put back in the side shows once again a lack of accountability and as another poster said, there should be non-negotiables that have strong consequences.

I really don't know if they watch the tape as a team and point out horrible plays. It should be humiliating but it seems to be glossed over.

Another thing, people have been don't worry about the last couple of players. v I think this year he is averaging 0.4 goals a game which is down on his paltry 0.64 goals a game last year. It is more than likely that Jed is not going to become Eddie Betts BUT another young player in his stead could.

A player like Tom Anastasopoulos or Josh Sinn might come in and play the Jed role and start out at the backend of the 23 but eventually become a top 10 player in the team. So you are destroying the potential of the team playing the Jeds and Burtons of the world and putting undue pressure on your best players.

So players 20, 21, 22 and 23 are important for the revitalisation of the team. To think otherwise is bizarre.
I think if we had good coaching, good mentality, and a competent gameplan all of this would be completely correct.

As it is it just doesn't matter. Picks 20-23 don't matter. Picks 1-19 don't matter. The only thing that matters is getting a broom through the senior staff asap so we can try to put a coaching and administrative group in place that can capitalise on this list.

Excited Sarcasm GIF by The Challenge

Good let's get this over and done with so we can all enjoy the weekend for a change.

Last two games against Adelaide:

Round 3, 2023 - The ghost of Tom Joad Jonas and Tom Clurey were playing for us in defence. Thilthorpe kicked 5 goals (he's not playing), Pedlar kicked 3 goals (he's not playing).

Round 20, 2023 - Wayne Milera had 32 disposals (he's not playing). Dante Visentini (he's not playing) was rucking against O'Brien. Willie Rioli wasn't playing. Aliir and Jones knock themselves out in the first quarter.

So in other words:

PORT

OUT: Powell-Pepper, Aliir, Evans, Finlayson, Visentini, Duursma

IN: Ratugolea, Zerk-Thatcher, Rioli, Georgiades, Mead, Burgoyne, Sweet

Most people would agree that the current Port line up is stronger, even without Powell-Pepper, Aiir and Finlayson in it.

ADELAIDE

OUT: Thilthorpe, Milera, Doedee, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Murphy, Sloane, McAdam

IN: Himmelberg, Curtin, Cook, McHenry, Sholl, Butts, Worrell, Rachelle

Most people would agree that the current Adelaide line up is weaker.

One thing we need to do to win is get to the ground ball first, especially in defence. Between Adelaide and Port, Adelaide has 19 players in the top 30 for average groundball gets to our 11. The main culprits are Williams (the worst - averaging 1 per game), followed by Farrell (2.1 per game), Burton (2.8 per game) and Jones (3.1 per game).

Compare that to Smith (3.7), Worell (3.4) and Butts (3.3). Hell, even Mark Keane (2.3) averages more ground ball gets per game than Williams and Farrell. Now, part of this is due to our style limiting the number of defensive 50s we concede...but part of it is just poor defending.

Champion Data says until we fix this defensive ground ball game, we can't be considered premiership contenders.

We should be treating this game as a dress rehearsal for next week. If this team wants to regain the credits it lost against Collingwood, then we win this game and then do what most will consider impossible and beat Geelong at Kardinia.[/S]
How have you watched Port over the last decade and honestly think the ins and outs make a scrap of difference. Look at the difference in quality between the two teams 'on paper' over the past 2 years - yet crows have still won 3 of those 4 matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't missed a Showdown, home or away, since I moved back to Adelaide over twenty years ago but I won't be going tonight. I'm sick of seeing our once proud club embarrassed by our total loser coach and the bunch of pea hearted incredibly connected players he has created.

Hinkley talking up the Camry Crows in his presser. I'm sure he's made it clear to the players how scary it is to play in a Showdown.

Camry Crows by 19.

Riley O'Rorey for the Showdown Medal.

To the club representatives that read this.

The football world is saying the club is mentally weak under pressure.. That despite our talent that we will fold when challenged.

How does this sit with you?.

This and next week are your opportunity to change perceptions. Get back some respect and start to change that narrative

Ate you wiling to accept the challenge or is it more important that we are not defined by our results?. That we make a profit and hit our kpi's ...

We await a response.

This white noise warrior knows what he is expecting.

Prove me wrong.

This is the first standalone showdown on free to air Australia wide. Absolutely no excuse for Port not to show up tonight. Whether they will though is another question altogether...

This is the first standalone showdown on free to air Australia wide. Absolutely no excuse for Port not to show up tonight. Whether they will though is another question altogether...

Standalone 1st ever showdown has "what happen power" written all over it

Standalone 1st ever showdown has "what happen power" written all over it
As soon as the fixture was released and I saw this Thursday night, nationally-televised Showdown Crows home game, I immediately thought it would be too much for our boys. Contest too hot, Thursday night lights too bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back