Review Round 8 (Q-Clash XXVI) Brisbane @ The GABBA - 5th May 2024 - 7:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I know he was just playing a straight bat, but Hardwick was quite…conservative? in his thoughts about next week in the presser. Saying Brisbane are a great team, we are looking to make home ground a fortress and hoping to ‘steal’ an away game, this is going to be a ‘challenge’ for a young team at a packed colosseum , etc.

Obviously just Dimma talk, but if we really are looking to grow a back bone, we should be smelling blood here and believing that we can absolutely go in and finish the Lions season, not just maybe steal it if we are lucky.

This is a massive QClash and Brisbane’s backs against the wall so if we are not breathing smoke come first bounce, the 4-3 start doesn’t really mean a whole lot and not much has changed. We need a bit of that GWS ‘we are better than you anywhere’ campaigner belief within the group but I don’t know where it comes from.
How good are Dimmas Press conferences though.
You can tell he so invested in the whole GC.
I'm sorry to bang on but compared to Dews head in the sand rethoric it's so refreshing.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

"Dimma focuses on what you can do well, rather than not what you're not good at."
Talks about the trust that dimma has in him, and what he brings to the side.

"Dimma focuses on what you can do well, rather than not what you're not good at."
Talks about the trust that dimma has in him, and what he brings to the side.
Again-not wanting to focus on Dew's style and twist the knife but he seemed obsessed by what players lacked rather than what they could bring to the table with their skill set
I loved seeing Dimma spitting chips in the box on Sunday

Only change I see is Atkins out and Long in.
Long to get first crack at Charlie

Day keeps his spot.
You think they’d play Long in defence again? He’s played forward (with some random time in the midfield last game) during VFL. But I agree with that kind of change. Need someone to try, because Atkins has some benefits, but not in defence.

The third quarter drop off seems to be Brisbane's achilles heel so far this season. I just get the feeling that if scoreline is close or we're in front at half time then those thoughts are going to creep into the minds of the Lions players and we will hopefully take full advantage of the situation. What we absolutely can't allow is for them to jump us early like the Bulldogs did in R2. We can handle a few early goals before we make the necessary adjustments to get back into the game like we saw against the Eagles on Sunday, but the 9 goal first quarter from the Bulldogs essentially ruled out any chance of us coming back before the second quarter even began.

Anyone willing to make a call on whether they think Read will return this week or if we'll keep Day in the team for now?

Anyone willing to make a call on whether they think Read will return this week or if we'll keep Day in the team for now?
The most significant outcome from Day's game on the weekend won't be how he played but how Witts played with him in the team.This answers your question I think

Read is going to be very good but I think he would benefit more from playing some reserves footy at the moment. Still very good back up to have but at this stage I would rather day or casboult cop some bodies to help walter and King get free and give witts a break. If we did happen to get some injuries down back would be good to get a look at read down there too, he looks like he would suit the intercepting defender role also.

One thing we really haven't improved that we need to, is kicking inside 50. We are the worst team in the league for marks I50. Even North Melbourne have more marks I50 than us. Combo of game plan being boot it in and players being headless chooks whenever using the ball. We've never been good at the kick I50 but somehow we are worse this year than we have been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing we really haven't improved that we need to, is kicking inside 50. We are the worst team in the league for marks I50. Even North Melbourne have more marks I50 than us. Combo of game plan being boot it in and players being headless chooks whenever using the ball. We've never been good at the kick I50 but somehow we are worse this year than we have been.

Wouldn’t of guessed that, our delivery hasn’t been that bad this year compared to that nightmare last year.

Maybe factors like Windy Ballarat & Adelaide Hills. Some Rain against Adelaide but yeah that’s just excuses.

The more of Jake Rogers we see, maybe that stat skyrockets.

When transitioning from half back we look $1million bucks but slow play it really does end up on top of King’s head.

Big watch this week if King is CHF & Walter is FF, as Andrews would want to sit deeper, giving King a not in form Payne to drag out

I want Reid back we need to be miles past S Day

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fresh off beating West Coast, you'd expect Damien Hardwick to keep a relatively settled line-up to face Brisbane on Sunday night. Young key position talent Ethan Read was rested against the Eagles and would be expected to return to play in his first QClash. Ben Long has been shining in the VFL, kicking another three goals at the weekend, while Joel Jeffrey has also strung together some nice football. Bodhi Uwland was dropped last week, but should be considered to defend one of the Lions' dangerous small forwards. – Michael Whiting

Depends if Hardwick wants to win.. or plan for the future.
Day offered more then Reid has all year unfortunetly
The goal has to be winning. And balancing young players should fit within that.

IMO, if Read plays, he should be off the bench as a rotating player (forward, ruck/mid and defence all options). Luko forward. Jeffrey (rebound) or Long/Uwland (lockdown) back.

We have options. Playing kids can work well if they are in a good system. Rogers and Walters were surrounded by veterans or mature players in the forward line last week. Makes a difference. 3 players under 5 games playing forward is just maybe too many though, especially in an area of weakness for us overall.

The goal has to be winning. And balancing young players should fit within that.

IMO, if Read plays, he should be off the bench as a rotating player (forward, ruck/mid and defence all options). Luko forward. Jeffrey (rebound) or Long/Uwland (lockdown) back.

We have options. Playing kids can work well if they are in a good system. Rogers and Walters were surrounded by veterans or mature players in the forward line last week. Makes a difference. 3 players under 5 games playing forward is just maybe too many though, especially in an area of weakness for us overall.
So do you want read in or not? I'm confused😅

So do you want read in or not? I'm confused😅
Haha. It’s a hard one.

What I want is Luko forward, Day out and Mac to do the back-up ruck I guess.

What the coaches want is Luko back, and Day/Read forward.

So my compromise is Luko forward, Read as a rotating tall (with a decent tank so can play anywhere to be subbed off at 3/4 time) and bring a decent ball user for half-back, while Day goes back to lead the VFL forwards.

Unfortunately we have too many talented talls and we can’t seem to fit them all in effectively.

Who will cover Charlie Cameron? Small forwards have enjoyed playing us this year. Should we send Holman back to pressure him? In saying that, I don’t think Hardwick will do that.

Sam's part of Dimma's 20% but it's hard to argue with it because he was always break glass but we kind of have to brealk glass at the moment if Levi isnt an option
We have one of Reid, Day, Moyle or Casboult to select from although Levi and Sam are really last chance options. Reid and Moyle are the future if we keep both (I'm assuming Moyle will get a better offer over next year or so) BUT (holds breath), Day probably did enough to hold spot for the game.

I'd still prefer to see Dimma blooding the kids as much as possible even if it's a big risk. Can Rogers back up? Will Reid be straight back after being managed? Can Jed have a break out game? Will Graham will keep getting better and providing us with a Rowell / Graham in and under combination. I remain confident but won't be surprised if we wilt under a Lions battering after all the press they've received this week. Would be a win for the ages if we can do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back