Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acres has been one of the biggest reasons for Carlton's surge. He started quite slowly but has gradually built up to become one of the most effective wings in the competition. Other players who will need close minding are Cottrell and Newman.

Cottrell is effective at finding pockets of space within their forward 50, while Newman drives a lot of their momentum from half-back, particularly in the absence of Saad, Docherty and McGovern.

WHE would be my match-up on Acres, as Jaicos isn't defensive-minded enough. Maynard (or Markov if selected) to Cottrell and Lipinski to Newman.

I'd also like to see the coaching staff play Howe forward so as to throw another aerial presence at Weitering. This might mean selecting someone like Dean to play back, with Moore on Curnow and Frampton on McKay.
Run is our strongest asset. And not certain Dean adds significant enough additional defensive power to stop McKay or Curnow to justify the pace compromise.

Please, no!!!
More than injuring himself, which is almost inevitable, he could also injure someone else!!
I don't understand this selection. At all. I'd love to be the first to say it was a genius move after Friday...but I'm not feeling it.

The biggest problem we have is that we don't know what's going on behind closed doors. It's become apparent that Titch has been carrying and injury and I would say there is a big chance that JDG has been struggling with a dodgy groin all year. IQ looks to also be carrying something. Those 3 alone would contribute to those stats. I also think that we might still be in hangover mode and some of the players aren't doing the little things they did previously. That's all it takes to fall down a bit. I still think we are good enough to win the win the flag again but we will need some luck
I agree. I was actually following up on Swoop’s post earlier mentioning Crisp’s stats as I felt that they would reflect the team’s. Still haven’t figured out the multi-quote🥴. We are definitely good enough.

What
emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

I’m calling for an end of game pitch invasion if he goes through the whole game without getting injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to hear "If you go in hard you are less likely to be hurt!" from our junior coaches. It's hilarious. It's like telling your soldiers, "If you lead the charge when storming enemy trenches rather than skulking in the rear, you are more likely to survive!"

I'll take my chances skulking in the rear. ;)
Yeah it’s illogical which suits my way of thinking😀.

need a physical point of difference in the middle

for mine:
JDG out; Maynard plays on-ball to compete with Cripps
WHE (replaces Maynard) leaves his 3rd tall fwd role to play back & picks up Cottrel or E.Hollands
Reef or AJ (replace WHE) come in to play 3rd tall forward

Mitchell out; Sullivan or McRae in (McRae gets the nod)

Harrison keeps his spot as sub

Gotta say I don’t mind it.

We badly need another tall forward, he’s been in the system for a number of years so no point holding him back. It’s now or never for him in this league.

Bytel looks to be more wing coverage. I don’t mind Sullivan, he’s got a lot more versatility than macrae. Played off HB the other week and looked good. Then against bombers was pushing forward and kicked 1.2, but looked dangerous. I still have concerns for fin at afl lvl as an inside mid, lacks pace, strength IMO. Strength is link up. He’s similar to his bro in that a good accumulator (at vfl at least), maybe wing is more suited to him. Seems fit enough

People keep saying Macrae lacks pace as though he’s treacle slow. I think his pace is okay when he decides to use it. See it often on offensive transition, rarely in defensive chasing. That’s the area he needs to work on, closing the gap. Might still be a tank issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back