Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maggie, I was at risk of becoming a grumpy old man and have decided to have another life reset. BTW, it's bloody freezing outside. There's a lot of talent in the world of AFL, sometimes it's good to just admire it and try and look for the positives. We have the nucleus of a very good side.
I normally am a glass half full type but this year have changed to half empty as am not seeing what you are seeing.

The chemistry seems to be missing for mine and can't see where the improvement is coming from.

Surely McStay is not going to be our saviour. Murphy certainly a big loss.

I normally am a glass half full type but this year have changed to half empty as am not seeing what you are seeing.

The chemistry seems to be missing for mine and can't see where the improvement is coming from.

Surely McStay is not going to be our saviour. Murphy certainly a big loss.
I think we were all hoping for back to back. It's not out of the question but I do understand your concerns.

See if he takes that opportunity if he gets picked in the coming weeks.

I’d say it’s his last year to prove his worth though.

A bit like the Bear before him.

That was Bear’s call though, not the clubs.

Rationally, we’re likely to lose this match.

If so, I hope we get to see a debutant and a full game from Harvey Harrison, with both of them playing well enough to give us some hope for success after the looming retirements of Pendles, Sidey, Mitchell, Howe, Cox and Elliott.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I knew the break between Anzac day and our next game was too far apart, the spot fires have started already and it's only Monday. Arguing with spinny is like having an octopus stuck on your face, no matter what you do, there's always at least one tentacle sucking part of your face off. In all honesty, chill fellas, we'll beat Carlton with or without Mitchell and JDG
You don't need long words. You just have to use the shorter ones descriptively.

Anyone know when Harry DeMattia might be ready to play senior footy?

He looks like a real gun midfield prospect.

Can't wait to see him bullock his way into our best 22.

Losing Jordy, Titch and Rusty could be a blessing. Forces us to try something different which could work and Carlscum might wallow in their own hubris pregame before realising they're getting carved up by our outside speed. Yes I'm having visions of endless handball chains and Bobby running into open goals
You and your blessings! A greater blessing would be to have JDG and Titch available and playing.

Anyone know when Harry DeMattia might be ready to play senior footy?

He looks like a real gun midfield prospect.

Can't wait to see him bullock his way into our best 22.
Patience grasshopper.
He just played limited minutes in his first vfl game coming from injury. He did okay, but he's a next year prospect imo
Maybe a game or two late in the year if we get injuries in the back half.

Patience grasshopper.
He just played limited minutes in his first vfl game coming from injury. He did okay, but he's a next year prospect imo
Maybe a game or two late in the year if we get injuries in the back half.
Thanks, Sensei.

As always, you are the font of all knowledge in these things. We love your insights and contributions.

On the other hand, as one of our most illustrious contributors is fond of saying: Just Play Him! LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

one game is a small sample size but for the year AJ has had to-date - poor form generally, body language, lack of intensity, not launching at his marks - the move to defence has been the circuit breaker he needed.

played 1st half in defence and 2nd half forward, racking up career best stats across the game (albeit vfl).

for mine, he was our best /most impactful in 1st half, taking 5 or so intercept marks and playing with good intensity & energy, in a position foreign to him. swung forward in 2nd half and he kicked 2 goals and handed one off to Joe Richards.

based on that very small sample size, if Howe was to call it a day at end of this year, i would say he's the best equipped player (on our list currently) to take over from him as a 3rd tall intercept defender. TJ displays the most promise as a rebounding running defender and his height will certainly come in handy but as a 3rd man up spoiling & intercept defender, i'd suggest AJ has the tools.

his ability to mentally push on with his game and show consistency is still a big unknown but he has the tools & footy IQ to play the position. in summary, i'd continue with the experiment of playing him down back as a tall and then also swinging him forward.
Given that our F50 entries, both AFL and VFL, have been generally poor, playing him back has gotten him into the play more, with good results in that one game.
Hopefully that gives him a confidence boost, because he definitely has the skills, if not always the application.

Carton are the most overrated side in the competition.
A summary of their 5 wins:
-One point win against Brisbane after that putrid first half.
-5 point win against Richmond who had 3 players off early with injury.
-10 point win against Freo with huge umpire interference.
-A win against North, which means nothing.
-A good win against GWS. I’ll pay them that one. Although it was at Marvel and against GWS without their best defender.

The scoreboard flattered them against Geelong, who put the cue in the rack, as most teams do with a 5 goal lead in time on.
Carlton won the clearances as they will against us, but we will get them on the counter attack, just like Geelong did.
I would inject some run and dare by bringing back Markov for this one.

Looking forward to Friday. I think everyone in the media will be reassessing their views afterward.

Carton are the most overrated side in the competition.
A summary of their 5 wins:
-One point win against Brisbane after that putrid first half.
-5 point win against Richmond who had 3 players off early with injury.
-10 point win against Freo with huge umpire interference.
-A win against North, which means nothing.
-A good win against GWS. I’ll pay them that one. Although it was at Marvel and against GWS without their best defender.

The scoreboard flattered them against Geelong, who put the cue in the rack, as most teams do with a 5 goal lead in time on.
Carlton won the clearances as they will against us, but we will get them on the counter attack, just like Geelong did.
I would inject some run and dare by bringing back Markov for this one.

Looking forward to Friday. I think everyone in the media will be reassessing their views afterward.
When you put it like that...it really is only the Giants game which is noteworthy. I only listened to the 2nd half of that match which was not pleasant listening as a Carlscum hater.

Let's hope we show them up to be the frauds I'm seriously hoping they are 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back