Autopsy Round 9, 2024 : Hawks slap the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to back wins off a tough game and 6 day break is soul defining stuff.

Our legs looked tired and skills sloppy in the 2nd half. It was our will to fight on that won it for us. Hopefully the longer break leading in to an Adelaide game will help.

Pretty close on xG graphs too, with Saints marginally ahead

Key to note is both were under their xG, so not a day for goal kicking

Looking ahead to the next 4 wins :D
Should manage 3 wins on the back of our newfound self-belief.

Attachments

• IMG_6121.jpeg
    IMG_6121.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6122.jpeg
    IMG_6122.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 95
That got the ol heart racing! Fully expected Amon to ice that one, but we did well there to hold on. Go Hawks!
In that situation doesn't it make sense to get as close to man on mark, veer a bit off and kick if aim is to get atleast a point.
if it gets touched let it be so.
If player jumps off mark, we get 50. Yet to see a player get close to man on mark.

Thought we had blown it in the last quarter but held on again for another well deserved win

Frosty and Weds gave me a heart attack and Gini made me cry but for the most part they were hard at it and didn’t give saints any space

Great games from Amon, Scrim, Moore and the midfield in general

On to next week

No Blanck, Sicily, Reeves, Lewis and Chol against a St Kilda team with all their tall timber available.

If we knew that 10 weeks ago, I think most would have expected an easy win for the team which finished 6th last year.

We were horribly undermanned in the KPP department.

That’s a character filled win and one which should give plenty of belief to the group.

We could still log 8-9 wins for the season from here. No doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking ahead to the next 4 wins :D
Should manage 3 wins on the back of our newfound self-belief.
2 wins - yes.

Would be confident against the Lions and Crows

Won’t be knocking Port / GWS over unless there’s something going on with them surely.

Always was a good defender, just lazy. Gave up on contests, sagged off too much. Just needed to be given a kick in the backside.

At 194cm he's not exactly undersized.
Yep. Jack is now playing with the urgency required from someone with his talent. Kudos to him and Mitchell for challenging him.

A great win specially considering with the players we had out.

Lloyd Meek played 88% TOG rucking was massive. Playing like a big man now. Massive.

Day back makes us look a lot better in contest. Does smart things and can lay a tackle. Newcombe would welcome this.

Defense starting to play like a more cohesive unit. I think the improvement of Weddle in defense is crucial. No need to push him further up the ground1. We have the KPD we need already.

Sitting in the outer at Launceston, great Hawks support, lots of us turned up to support the team. The roar at the end was just beautiful!

Great team effort: I don’t praise individuals, the team fought it out to the end.

Suck it up Lyon, you perennial loser!

I’m going to enjoy some Tassie Pinot tonight!

Go Hawks

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep. Jack is now playing with the urgency required from someone with his talent. Kudos to him and Mitchell for challenging him.
The kudos is for challenging him the right way.
Every single coach before now would have challenged him - Mitchell found the combo to the lock

That is a very good win and the only way to look at it.
The boys are playing to a structure and executing the plan.
Missing almost every tall fwd on our list and the captain.
Yep, it's huge for the club. Getting all the players young & old playing their role and going when it's their turn to grind out a win, massive.

Great mental strength, maturity and grit to get that win.

We made plenty of mistakes but didn’t lose our cool. The way we’ve handled the final few minutes in our last couple games is a huge sign of growth in the group this year. And to do it without Sicily and a number of first choice KPP.

These were the games we dropped this time last year.

On to the next!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back