Autopsy Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smalls - I like Garcia & are confident he will be a good long term player for us but no X factor. Not saying he can’t continue to play the small pressure forward role BUT

I think a half decent VFL game from Collard & let’s roll the dice. He isn’t physically ready & lacks tackle pressure but is highly skilled by foot and just knows where the goals are. Only needs 6 touches & could score 3 goals.
Completely agree, also he actually can lead up at the footy too. Get Lance boy. With it being Doug Nicholls round I think he’s a lock if he gets through today tbh.

Lol fired up for the loserbowl next week guys

Should be a cracker aye

I promise not to watch if yous promise not to go

Give all the players the respect they deserve

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hahaha I’m going to Bali. Might watch it from a sports bar or might just drink 700 binnies and forget we exist.

Seriously I think the only time you'll ever be happy with the team is when it comprises 23 AA's.

1.9 goals a game puts him pretty much at the top end of small forward outputs for the league this year.

Being a good side that is ready to challenge will do me. You guys are just ready to excuse any humiliation they throw at us.

Dow has been playing like Ross at Sandringham. Looks weeks off. Jones probably next best
Ross has been hopeless and it must be remembered Dow is a outside mid and if we are not dishing the ball to him at Sandringham that's the problem , plus at least we are attempting something.

There is something wrong , the players look spent even Steele looks far from his All Australian years , Windhager is showing something but Ross just is not upto the standard now and why don't they give Owens a crack shows the coaching is not up to standard as well.

Injuries are not a excuse now and losing to the Hawks who are average at best should really prove to Basset has totally f/k up everything - bring in Lyon and his mates has cooked the players - Kings gone backwards , Owens playing out of position , Membery cooked , Seb Ross is just not up to standard as a core midfielder anymore.
It's bloody disappointing , we have a good core of players but they have no system and are playing players who I would not have in the team.
PLaying Sinclair in the middle is well and good but his best football is at halfback and why his good there is because he is accountable and his player doesn't usually cut us to pieces.
Having Bonner is good but he should only be played if Sinclair or Nas are not playing - Bonner gets the ball but his opponent kills us.

They way we are going the coaching is killing any belief the team had and sending us backwards.

Last edited:
Stavro suggested he thought that we would be challenging in 2025. If we are still rebuilding for the 15th year straight and the fans are meant to buy in… Jesus. This is a hard footy club to follow.

I think it's more;

If we all believe the list is a bit lopsided and needs a refresh.
If we all believe that turfing of Ratts into Ross and that culture shift re standards from none to some matters.
Then;
It'll take more than one season to make a dent in our problems.

Especially so if you just;
Ironed out your footy GM position.
Ironed out your CEO position.
Within the last year.

That is not a "we're up and firing in 2024" position, that is a shaky base, so default please situation as it's not able to take those hits and be fluid.

It's not a rebuild in that sort of sense.

Richo to Ratts we kinda went from literally nothing into that footy dept, to a harsh contraction of the covid years where people bled money, into this. There was no rebuild previously, there was maintenance, this is post "so we're s**t and need to be better" resolution aka, the start of fixing those sort of problems and what can be considered as a rebuild of the footy dept.

Hence, give the peeps 3 years to sort it out to an acceptable standard as you're not changing squat in a season with us, when you don't even have a proper head of dept or a CEO of operations. People need to kind of temper their expectations a bit, it's not like any of the above was a secret.

Gameday is 2 hours of a week for example, if the other 98% is fine or trending upwards, that 2% is an easy fix, just takes time.

Henry is the only bloke that had any poise going forward
You were watching a different game , he squibbed every contest he went too yesterday , he is fine when he can jump on someone's back from behind , put the ball in dispute and he is no where to be seen

I think it's more;

If we all believe the list is a bit lopsided and needs a refresh.
If we all believe that turfing of Ratts into Ross and that culture shift re standards from none to some matters.
Then;
It'll take more than one season to make a dent in our problems.

Especially so if you just;
Ironed out your footy GM position.
Ironed out your CEO position.
Within the last year.

That is not a "we're up and firing in 2024" position, that is a shaky base, so default please situation as it's not able to take those hits and be fluid.

It's not a rebuild in that sort of sense.

Richo to Ratts we kinda went from literally nothing into that footy dept, to a harsh contraction of the covid years where people bled money, into this. There was no rebuild previously, there was maintenance, this is post "so we're s**t and need to be better" resolution aka, the start of fixing those sort of problems and what can be considered as a rebuild of the footy dept.

Hence, give the peeps 3 years to sort it out to an acceptable standard as you're not changing squat in a season with us, when you don't even have a proper head of dept or a CEO of operations. People need to kind of temper their expectations a bit, it's not like any of the above was a secret.

Gameday is 2 hours of a week for example, if the other 98% is fine or trending upwards, that 2% is an easy fix, just takes time.
That's some of your best work right there StFly - up there with the Sunbury weirdo laundrymat tales. :whitecheck:

Wilson looks the goods so far. Owens, Phillipou on the verge of looking like they might not be as good as we'd hoped. Windhager looking solid. After that Shoemaker looks like the best hope. Garcia and Hastie look like decent depth too.

I'm starting to feel sick at the thought that another lot of kids might not be as great as we'd hoped.
I’m not worried about the poo the kid will be a superstar. He’s played a lot of footy and has needed to be let of leash where he can get his mojo back for quite some time. Owens is a bull he’ll be fine, windhager has really stepped up which is great because I had my doubts about him. Wang and Wilson look locks to be AA standard players so that’s huge. I love the look of Hastie, class act, Garcia is looking like he’ll make it as well. Shoenmaker with his height and that boot will play plenty of senior football if he works hard enough so all in all we have hit a home run.

I still have high hopes for guys like Keeler and collard could be anything if we can keep him at the club. Should really be talking about caminiti as well at 20 years of age and a willing player who can take a contested mark he has a big future as well imo.

Actually I’m not giving up on any of the kids yet, some will need a bit of luck with injury etc but I’m not sure any are in the cross hairs at this stage.

Are nearly at the stage of trying Nas on the ball. It’s what the hawks did with Silk and we desperately need some better delivery into the 50.

Less Steele Marshall, Ross and windy inside 50s and more nas Sincs inside 50s.

I’d love to the competition scoring breakdown from

Rebound 50s (intercepts)
Stoppages clearances
Centre clearances
Turnovers.

Defensively we’re fine. So why can’t we score.

System , personal , mids forwards what is it? We are missing out smalls no doubt.
Silk had 8 season at port before he got to the Hawks and his body had 12 extra kg on it , nas would get knocked around too much IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were watching a different game , he squibbed every contest he went too yesterday , he is fine when he can jump on someone's back from behind , put the ball in dispute and he is no where to be seen
Started early when he just watched his opponent mark the ball in a real head scratcher. It didn’t get much better with one eye opening refusal to put his hands down and contest. All I can say is he’s coming off no playing time and looked the goods early for us but if he serves that up too often he won’t have many fans imo.

As bad as that was yesterday and the year has been, 5 losses 10 points or less this year. Win even 2 of those and we’re 5-4 and looking alright.

Would think inside the club the expectations for this year maybe not as high as the supporters had thought. If winning games is paramount then Garcia and Hastie aren’t playing.

Disappointing how quickly everyone jumps off Henry. First game back after a serious hamstring injury, he will be better.

No doubting the forward line is a basketcase though. Wonder if Membrey really is all right.

Turnover kicks from nas and others directly resulting in goals have killed us this year.

I’m not worried about the poo the kid will be a superstar. He’s played a lot of footy and has needed to be let of leash where he can get his mojo back for quite some time. Owens is a bull he’ll be fine, windhager has really stepped up which is great because I had my doubts about him. Wang and Wilson look locks to be AA standard players so that’s huge. I love the look of Hastie, class act, Garcia is looking like he’ll make it as well. Shoenmaker with his height and that boot will play plenty of senior football if he works hard enough so all in all we have hit a home run.

I still have high hopes for guys like Keeler and collard could be anything if we can keep him at the club. Should really be talking about caminiti as well at 20 years of age and a willing player who can take a contested mark he has a big future as well imo.

Actually I’m not giving up on any of the kids yet, some will need a bit of luck with injury etc but I’m not sure any are in the cross hairs at this stage.
Some of the young guys are looking good- Hastie will be good, Wilson looks to be an elite talent and Windy is getting better though fumbles a bit too much for a mid. I have doubts about Pou and Owens making it in the long run, anyway, I hope they do OK

Thinking about the good games Mitch has played last year and against the Pies this year it has been as a marauding fwd/mid/fwd. That is starting high fwd. Running up into the midfield, getting involved in some bash and crash, taking the ball and driving it forward then following it down deep to help out again. Impacting the play across the ground

We haven't seen that from him basically since the Pies game. Why? We loved him for the freedom he had to express himself in his own way. Where has that gone? I'm not convinced that playing purely forward or purely midfield is the way to go with him. He looks like to me a player in his head trying his hardest to do as coached but lost his best ability...his natural instincts.
He stopped being the 2nd ruck. As much as people hate him playing that role, it got him around the ball and impacting more contests.

This is so true
How often do you see us handball to a player who is immediately under pressure…we have some seriously dumb footballers with poor decision making ability …like hot potato with Benny Hill music!!
And on the other side of it when an opponent handballs it we have multiple players go to the reciever leaving free players as options.

Classic example. Newcombe, centre wing, handballs back to a team mate. Two Saints rush to that player leaving Newcombe by himself, goal side, to get the easy handball back and a clear run to kick inside 50.

That's the worst example but it happens all the time. We are playing hard but not smart. Players need to be aware of who their opponent is and if they are likely to recieve the ball, stay with them, especially if there is someone applying pressure already.

Obviously because of the pace of the game there will be times where more than one person applying pressure is understandable. I guess the times where it seems more avoidable is outside of stoppages where players can make that decision of staying on their opponent if that makes sense.

As bad as that was yesterday and the year has been, 5 losses 10 points or less this year. Win even 2 of those and we’re 5-4 and looking alright.

Would think inside the club the expectations for this year maybe not as high as the supporters had thought. If winning games is paramount then Garcia and Hastie aren’t playing.

Disappointing how quickly everyone jumps off Henry. First game back after a serious hamstring injury, he will be better.

No doubting the forward line is a basketcase though. Wonder if Membrey really is all right.

Turnover kicks from nas and others directly resulting in goals have killed us this year.
Some of those close losses were not really close. Even if we won some we are not "looking alright". We are nowhere near a PF, need another 3 good drafts to start being regulars in the top of the 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back