Game Day Round 9 - North Melbourne @ Darwin - 11th May 2024 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

If elite mobile rusks like Gawn and Grundy couldn’t make it work, what would make us think that Witts and Moyle could? And Hardwick has never been interested in two rucks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can't believe some people are questioning the new coach 8 games in, very English Premier League of us.

The frustration is probably we were gaslit by the chairman and ceo in the pre season putting finals up and gaslit by the coach by saying we’re going to be playing and attractive attacking style of football and 80% of premiership list plus the 13 years of false hope and PTSD

The frustration is probably we were gaslit by the chairman and ceo in the pre season putting finals up and gaslit by the coach by saying we’re going to be playing and attractive attacking style of football and 80% of premiership list plus the 13 years of false hope and PTSD
I was promised by many people here that if we just got rid of Dew we would play finals with a good coach. Well we have a 3x flag winning coach and absolutely nothing has changed from the eye test.

Finals should be the goal no? I'd prefer having a target like that than just, let's see how we are going. I'd say we are still challenging for finals, IF we win this week, we are 5-4.

It is funny I would say our results have been more consistent so far this year than previous years, we have beaten the teams we should have and lost to the teams we expected to lose to. None of the Dogs in Ballarat, GWS, Sydney or Brisbane were games we were expected to win before the season started.

We do however, need to start picking up wins against like types if we are to make that charge for finals, games like the Saints and Essendon are coming up, they are must win games.

Geelong in 2 weeks is the next big challenge against a supposed top line side, will we have learnt our lesson like the Brisbane game or is there currently still that mental block there?

Nice theory on Luko. No other player in AFL plays similar role. It will not happen. I think more and more that we could lose both Luko and Moyle in the off-season.
The best comparison I can make is Jezza. And no I’m not saying Luko is Cameron or ever will be, but Jezza roams the whole ground when needed and rotates wherever is required. Primarily a forward, but will play wing at times or drop into defence to fill a hole.

Guy runs his but off though, which is a big difference to Luko. But there is a loose, loose blueprint if we want to try it…

But yeah, a lot of coordinating just to fit Luko in the team. I’d personally rather play one less tall though and move Luko forward permanently.

Finals should be the goal no? I'd prefer having a target like that than just, let's see how we are going. I'd say we are still challenging for finals, IF we win this week, we are 5-4.

It is funny I would say our results have been more consistent so far this year than previous years, we have beaten the teams we should have and lost to the teams we expected to lose to. None of the Dogs in Ballarat, GWS, Sydney or Brisbane were games we were expected to win before the season started.

We do however, need to start picking up wins against like types if we are to make that charge for finals, games like the Saints and Essendon are coming up, they are must win games.

Geelong in 2 weeks is the next big challenge against a supposed top line side, will we have learnt our lesson like the Brisbane game or is there currently still that mental block there?

This. I always cringe when I hear, we haven’t beaten anyone above us. Well if we’re thinking that we might just sneak into 8th, most of our wins are going to come from the bottom 10 of the final ladder at year’s end.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The best comparison I can make is Jezza. And no I’m not saying Luko is Cameron or ever will be, but Jezza roams the whole ground when needed and rotates wherever is required. Primarily a forward, but will play wing at times or drop into defence to fill a hole.

Guy runs his but off though, which is a big difference to Luko. But there is a loose, loose blueprint if we want to try it…

But yeah, a lot of coordinating just to fit Luko in the team. I’d personally rather play one less tall though and move Luko forward permanently.
When Luko played forward last year he was roaming a bit like Jezza, also spending time on wing, helping out occasionally in defence. But that was not my understanding or the role you suggested for Luko (replacing Mac etc when on the bench).

Blicavs is a player who seems to be able play multiple roles as required but not to the level of replacing players on all three lines.

FWIW, I thought Luko's role late last year was perfect for him. He looked settled and kicked straight. Now he sometimes looks uncomfortable, unsettled, not as happy and confident.

Last edited:
When Luko played forward last year he was roaming a bit like Jezza, also spending time on wing, helping out occasionally in defence. But that was not my understanding or the role you suggested for Luko (replacing Mac etc when on the bench).

Blicavs is a player who seems to be able play multiple roles as required but not to the level of replacing players on all three lines.

FWIW, I thought Luko's role late last year was perfect for him. He looked settled and kicked straight. Now he sometimes looks uncomfortable, unsettled not as happy and confident.
I think he feels the pressure to succeed when going forward. He knows he is going to be thrown back so wants to take the shot. He’s had a few looks at goals, but just not enough straight kicking this year.

And you’re right, he probably wouldn’t swing around as much as I initially suggested. He might play 5 mins in defence twice a game to cover for Mac, for example, at most.

A player like Cameron or Blitzavs go where needed in a game and game-to-game. That means that someone gets to rest/rotate for that to happen though.

I feel Jack’s versatility for a new coach will be his downfall. It happened at the start of his career and he finally seemed settled.

G'day all, first time poster - long term observer.

Potential changes for this sat:
In:
Humper - given the rest, hope there's some fire in him and extended midfield minutes.
Jeffrey - Taking lukos role and moving luko forward in his roaming role.
Farrar - 5 goals in the 2s, looked like real x-factor on the stream with real speed. His last 3 quarters in the VFL excited me a lot.

Out:
Creek - needs time in the 2s to develop.
Rat - provided very little since coming back.
Graham - managed. Think he's been great but looks like he might need a rest. Was originally thinking Walter might need one but this game against North is potentially massive for his confidence and could be a breakout game. Would not be surprised if Walter is rested for Geelong for the 5 day turnaround in Darwin to be primed and ready for carlton.
Swallow/Long - one sub, other back to the 2s. Both can play multi positions so suited to the sub.

If Graham's ready to go then would drop both long and swallow and put Farrar as the sub as I think he offers more on both ends of the ground.

In:
Humper - given the rest, hope there's some fire in him and extended midfield minutes.
Farrar - 5 goals in the 2s, looked like real x-factor on the stream with real speed. His last 3 quarters in the VFL excited me a lot.

Out:
Graham - managed. Think he's been great but looks like he might need a rest. Was originally thinking Walter might need one but this game against North is potentially massive for his confidence and could be a breakout game. Would not be surprised if Walter is rested for Geelong for the 5 day turnaround in Darwin to be primed and ready for carlton.
Swallow/Long - one sub, other back to the 2s. Both can play multi positions so suited to the sub.

If Graham's ready to go then would drop both long and swallow and put Farrar as the sub as I think he offers more on both ends of the ground.
Davies could replace Graham. He played well in VFL against Lions. Similar role.

I don't see luko forward terrible in one on one's and doesn't crash packs or put pressure on he only impacts when we have fast breaks with easy lead up kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the issue with Lukosius is that with his lack of strength and power he is a player that will rely on being an elite endurance runner to reach his full potential. Going by clips of pre season it seems he only started full training after Christmas, he had Achilles issues last year and I'd assume this meant he did nothing in the off season. If he can get that running power to a high level I think he could be anything whether that's forward, back or wing but at the moment he can't get to enough balls and when he does get it he's gassed and it effects his disposal. He's a player we need because we lack footy IQ badly and he's one that can set up goals from whatever position he plays.

atm, Luko feels like a 'nearly but not quite' footballer.

Not quite strong enough, not quite fast enough, not quite enough running power, not quite as good a kick as everyone thinks, not quite as good a mark as you need for a tallish forward, not quite defensive enough to be a solid defender, not quite competitive enough when going for the ball in the air or on the ground, a lot of nearly but not quite.

If he can turn a couple of those things into strengths though, and he will be fine. Getting his kicks closer to 100%, and getting more competitive when the whips are cracking, would do the job. Or clunking more marks, or being able to run all day.

In:

Out:

I'd rather see Holman out than Graham - both pressure players but even as a kid Graham gets more of the actual ball than Holman. I'd even consider giving Sexton (last chance again!) a go, as he is at least capable of kicking multiple goals and causing a defender to watch him.

As third tall I don’t think his job is to crash packs. He is more a Gunston type than a casboult pack crasher
That's his down fall 195cm and 100 kg not quick enough to do what gunston does that's my point

Lukos best position is a high CHF. You want him being the one the takes that kick I50. It's a less dangerous area to turn it over, he can find leads better than anyone else, and he kicks it better than anyone else. Playing HB he has a tendency to take the risky kick and turn it over, dangerous on the HB line, not so dangerous going I50 and a bigger pay off if it hits.

Lukos best position is a high CHF. You want him being the one the takes that kick I50. It's a less dangerous area to turn it over, he can find leads better than anyone else, and he kicks it better than anyone else. Playing HB he has a tendency to take the risky kick and turn it over, dangerous on the HB line, not so dangerous going I50 and a bigger pay off if it hits.
And you get your wish..........he's heading forward for Norths this week...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back