Game Day Round 9 - North Melbourne @ Darwin - 11th May 2024 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I was very much in the drop Lukosius mood after Sunday night, but I’m glad they are putting him back to half forward where he can be a weapon. I think he is pretty well suited to these conditions as he is not really a KPP or much of an overhead player anyway and can get down low and run. But it still brings up the issue of 2nd ruck? Jack just doesn’t seem to have the size or aggression for it. I’m all for small Mac minutes in there, or hell even undersized Davies before Jack.

I also get the obsession with moving him back at first glance, but while his kicking can be elite, it’s more his ability to weight a kick and kind of float it so a forward can run onto it and mark easier than a dart where he shines. He’s just not suited to quick transition movement out of the backline.

Hopefully he realises Flanders isn't a defenders ******** either. Keep him mid forward. We aren't stocked well down back, but Flanders just isn't a help down there. Better off where he can use his strengths.

Who plays down back then? Our medium and small defenders are just no good atm, barrel already been scraped. They either can't kick well enough, or don't make good enough decisions, or can't defend.

Powell has cooled off after a great start, but he remains a lock. After that?

Sexton was tried but was a No.
Uwland and Budarick were both stinking up the joint this year, rightly got dropped.
Atkins? No.
Swallow? No.
Lemmens or Farrar or Long or DMac? Dimma has said no so far.

Hopefully Jeffrey gets a crack now, but still need to pick one from the list above, or stick with Flanders. No good options atm. (#getRioli).

Who plays down back then? Our medium and small defenders are just no good atm, barrel already been scraped. They either can't kick well enough, or don't make good enough decisions, or can't defend.

Uwland and Budarick were both stinking up the joint this year, rightly got dropped.
Atkins? No.
Swallow? No.

Hopefully Jeffrey gets a crack now, but still need to pick one from the list above, or stick with Flanders. No good options atm. (#getRioli).
Clohesy came to us as the VFL's premier defender-I'm pretty sure whatever Luko was trying to do down back Sam could do twice as well
Atkins and Fiorini can hold down a wing

My team

Long/Jeffrey Collins Andrew
Powell Ballard Clohesy
Atkins Rowell Fiorini
Ainsworth Lukosius Swallow/Holman
Rogers King Berry

Clohesy came to us as the VFL's premier defender-I'm pretty sure whatever Luko was trying to do down back Sam could do twice as well
Atkins and Fiorini can hold down a wing

My team

Long/Jeffrey Collins Andrew
Powell Ballard Clohesy
Atkins Rowell Fiorini
Ainsworth Lukosius Swallow/Holman
Rogers King Berry
Playing with 15 players might lose us a few games...

Wishlist...

Jeffery, Humphrey, Uwland and Farrar in.

Swallow, Atkins, Read and Holman out.

Rogers Walter Farrar
Humphrey King Lukosius
Miller Flanders Clohesy
Andrew Jeffery Powell
Uwland Collins Ballard

Witts Rowell Anderson

Graham Ainsworth Berry Long

Fiorini

Atkins? No.
Swallow? No.

I think Uwland just needs to stay in. He is going to have a lot of teething issues and mistakes but his the only player on the list that seems like he has the ability to be a medium/small defender with defensive chops. Imo we must persist.

Wishlist...

Jeffery, Humphrey, Uwland and Farrar in.

Swallow, Atkins, Read and Holman out.

Rogers Walter Farrar
Humphrey King Lukosius
Miller Flanders Clohesy
Andrew Jeffery Powell
Uwland Collins Ballard

Witts Rowell Anderson

Graham Ainsworth Berry Long

Fiorini

If Dimma rightly picks his team on form, this should be our best 23 players this week.

Davies v Graham probably the only 50/50 choice.

Moyle currently our most in-form player in the VFL, but unlikely until Witts is out.

atm, Luko feels like a 'nearly but not quite' footballer.

Not quite strong enough, not quite fast enough, not quite enough running power, not quite as good a kick as everyone thinks, not quite as good a mark as you need for a tallish forward, not quite defensive enough to be a solid defender, not quite competitive enough when going for the ball in the air or on the ground, a lot of nearly but not quite.

If he can turn a couple of those things into strengths though, and he will be fine. Getting his kicks closer to 100%, and getting more competitive when the whips are cracking, would do the job. Or clunking more marks, or being able to run all day.

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d like to see Humphrey develop his run and carry in an easier position, like halfback. Nick Daicos and Harry Sheezel were eased into mid/forward roles.

Expecting to see a fired up Luko on Saturday night determined to show Dimma why he shouldn't be swung into the backline again. In some ways it's genius to give a key player like Lukosius a really good reason to perform on the road when the team is at a low point. This could be the fire starter we need to kick into gear midway through the season.

Also like that Dimma has the guts to admit publicly that he got something wrong and is willing to switch it up before it's too late. Many coaches would persevere with the way they want the team to play until the season is lost and fortunately that's not the case this year. As much as Dimma is teaching these boys lessons as we go, the truth is that the playing group is also teaching Dimma lessons. Moving forward requires a collaborative effort from all parties involved.

Anything Dimma does really triggers the ingrate RICHmond fans on social media.

They are a truly disgusting fan base and I remember for so many years we used to all feel a bit sorry for them.

Anyway Dimma personally gives me confidence.

Just like with Des Hasler I’m just happy to go along for the ride and let them do their thing.

It’s first year in for both.

Now back to MINI GF #3.

Don’t lose this one Dimma.

I think Uwland just needs to stay in. He is going to have a lot of teething issues and mistakes but his the only player on the list that seems like he has the ability to be a medium/small defender with defensive chops. Imo we must persist.
Have to agree, although he got stitched up by some pretty decent players I thought he showed some really good signs. He's tough and team first, some of his efforts especially in that wet game v Adelaide were inspiring. He also frees up Powell to be more attacking. I would stick with him or even play lemmens when he is available.

He got the first 6 games.
You would like to think he goes back to VFL, has some good performances and gets some confidence, learns a few things, works on his mental game, and comes back in ready to play better.
I think they agree with you. They want to persist with him, but he was going backwards in the Ones.

Reminds me of Zach Guthrie but Uwland seems to be more advanced at same periods of there careers.

Guthrie was also about 70kg ringing wet when Geelong started playing him at half back.

Now he turning into a mini Tom Stewart clone

Seems odd to “rest” these 2 when half the team is 1st/2nd/3rd year players who are probably more in need of a rest but sure.
Hopefully that means we bring in more speed and try to go full tilt in the slippery conditions against another team that likes to go fast 1 way.
Not sure they need a rest,I mean Swallow has played less minutes as sub than most.
Fiorini is a healthy 26 year old.

rests generally are for those over 30 who have played multiple games.

Might rest Witts as well, either this game or the Cats game who play mobile rucks.

This is a hard stretch, 3 games in 11 days with heat and humidity thrown in.

Brisbane on Sunday night.
6 day break into NM in Darwin on Saturday night.
5 day break into the Cats in Darwin on Thursday night.

Not sure they need a rest,I mean Swallow has played less minutes as sub than most.
Fiorini is a healthy 26 year old.

rests generally are for those over 30 who have played multiple games.

Managed is just a polite term for omitted when talking about these guys in my view

Remove this Banner Ad

Back