Game Day Round 9 - North Melbourne @ Darwin - 11th May 2024 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

When we lose two home games there, one for gather round, cairns as well, it’s a lot of home football to lose. It’s not something other AFL sides do as heavily as well. So while it’s great for the boys, the trip, culture, atmosphere etc, it’s still bang average as a member to have your team give away a quarter of their home games.
Lots of smaller clubs do it. North and Hawks sell games to Tasmania, Bulldogs go Ballarat, GWS to Canberra.

Every team is impacted by Gather Round (except Adelaide sides).

Bigger clubs get to call the shots because they fill their stadiums and don’t need to sell their home games or get involved in “spreading the game” like we do.

AFL can’t just make us go to Darwin and give us extra games there plus the 11 at PFS. It would be seen as 13 home games (even if Melb clubs get plenty of “home” games anyway).

So it is what it is. We get money, exposure, access to NT academy and, so far, win matches.

Lots of smaller clubs do it. North and Hawks sell games to Tasmania, Bulldogs go Ballarat, GWS to Canberra.

Bigger clubs get to call the shots because they fill their stadiums and don’t need to sell their home games or get involved in “spreading the game” like we do.

AFL can’t just make us go to Darwin and give us extra games there plus the 11 at PFS. It would be seen as 13 home games (even if Melb clubs get plenty of “home” games anyway).

So it is what it is. We get money, exposure, access to NT academy and, so far, win matches.

Yes, it is what it is. But we don’t have to be happy about it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Who said anything about 13 home games? They want us there so badly, one home, one away. All clubs should be equally responsible for spreading the game but I appreciate for some suns fans it’s their second team and choose not to see it that way, that’s their perogative.

But just to write it off as ‘It is what it is’ 😂 not worth the money and exposure so far imo.

Ive posted this elsewhere re Darwin

i know the Darwin games are tied up in sponsorship etc. But hear me out for an option.

Gather round - extra home games for SA teams - which is unfair on WA, NSW and Qld teams (Vic teams less so as the get lots of games in Melbourne anyway).

My idea - the two back to back games in Darwin should be Adelaide v Gold Coast and Port v Gold Coast.
They become the extra home games for SA teams - not extra Adelaide oval games.
That allows Gold Coast to go back to 11 home games at People First Stadium

No non-Vic team is then given more than 11 home games.
Still support the game in Darwin.
Allows Gold Coast locals to get engaged all season long.
SA teams back to the pre-gather round situation of 11 home games each at Adelaide oval.

i know the Darwin games are tied up in sponsorship etc. But hear me out for an option.

Gather round - extra home games for SA teams - which is unfair on WA, NSW and Qld teams (Vic teams less so as the get lots of games in Melbourne anyway).

My idea - the two back to back games in Darwin should be Adelaide v Gold Coast and Port v Gold Coast.

SA teams back to the pre-gather round situation of 11 home games each at Adelaide oval.

That’s to logical to be considered by the AFL

Excellent solution.

Coaches votes.

Gold Coast v North Melbourne​

8 Mac Andrew (GCFC)
8 Touk Miller (GCFC)
5 Sam Collins (GCFC)
4 Sam Clohesy (GCFC)
2 Sam Flanders (GCFC)
2 Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)
1 Charlie Comben (NMFC)

Remove this Banner Ad