Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Team below.

Will be a favinating game. Hawks have shown glimpses of what is being built the last few weeks, whilst Port is finally beginning to look like a football team, not a mens side-show

akec playing her last game, and Bates equalling the league high games record

ROUND 9 TEAM
Hawthorn v Port Adelaide
Sunday 29 October
Kinetic Stadium, 5.05pm AEDT

B:
Kaitlyn Ashmore, Mackenzie Eardley
HB: Charlotte Baskaran, Jenna Richardson, Emily Everist
C: Kristy Stratton, Tamara Smith, Aine McDonagh
HF: Greta Bodey, Aileen Gilroy, Jasmine Fleming
F: Mattea Breed, Bridie Hipwell
R: Lucy Wales, Tilly Lucas-Rodd, Emily Bates

INT: Laura Elliott, Ainslie Kemp, Sophie Locke, Tahlia Fellows, Akec Makur Chuot

EMERG: Bridget Deed, Tamara Luke, Louise Stephenson

Where's that moron troll from last week saying umpires don't affect the outcome?

Text-book dropping the ball ignored followed by a dodgy one the other way paid with glee.

That's a 90 m error which on a day like today is huge.

Where's that moron troll from last week saying umpires don't affect the outcome?

Text-book dropping the ball ignored followed by a dodgy one the other way paid with glee.

That's a 90 m error which on a day like today is huge.
It's the same umpire we always get in frankston.
Last year she paid holding the ball TO Port When Port took the possession and got tackled

What a great last couple of minutes to the quarter. Handy 13 point lead.
Need to keep up that forward intensity in the 2nd half.

That was great by Locke then. Had to make a contest, then got up and went for the smother straight after it.
I love soph. Perfect example of white line fever.
Tackles hard, always goes when its her turn.
That was a good contest and follow up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reward for effort. Point up!
This is the worst adjudicated game all year. Cant believe how poor these umpires have been.

Keeping up that forward pressure all quarter.
Bodey with her 4th! Hopefully thats got us enough of a lead.

The umpiring standard is pretty woeful in the AFLW across the board and they still somehow surprise me every week. This was as bad as it gets.

Regardless, it's great to see us match our output of wins last season considering the generally tougher draw and improvement of other sides (beating Sydney comfortably seems to have been a great result), and we've stayed in games for far longer (in terms of general play we easily could've won against both St Kilda and Richmond, just defensive lapses cost us).

Spot on skwunk, they are ordinary at best, but that’s not going to change. The focus should always be what we can control. Sorry if this offends the easily offended in here.

It was a game of two struggling teams playing a very average brand of footy. Port we’re pretty good defensively inside the contest and we overused the ball by hand, which when you’re not a skilful team or a team with good contest method, it just invites pressure. As Madman pointed out, Port’s spare was impacting how we moved the ball forward, especially given we don’t have any air presence in our forward third.

Stratton continues to impress, as did Bates and Bodey today. Wales had an outstanding game against a kid that will be one of the better rucks in years to come. Breed also competed well and she looks to be settling in to the level.

Baskaran is improving. She just needs to move the ball on quicker inside the contest. Hopefully this will come with time.

Fleming is all at sea at the moment. Really struggling.

Would be nice to bring in some speed and height that can contest in the air in the next off season. Lots of young pieces are in place, but a couple of glaring holes that will help a lot when they are filled.

Spot on skwunk, they are ordinary at best, but that’s not going to change. The focus should always be what we can control. Sorry if this offends the easily offended in here.

It was a game of two struggling teams playing a very average brand of footy. Port we’re pretty good defensively inside the contest and we overused the ball by hand, which when you’re not a skilful team or a team with good contest method, it just invites pressure. As Madman pointed out, Port’s spare was impacting how we moved the ball forward, especially given we don’t have any air presence in our forward third.

Stratton continues to impress, as did Bates and Bodey today. Wales had an outstanding game against a kid that will be one of the better rucks in years to come. Breed also competed well and she looks to be settling in to the level.

Baskaran is improving. She just needs to move the ball on quicker inside the contest. Hopefully this will come with time.

Fleming is all at sea at the moment. Really struggling.

Would be nice to bring in some speed and height that can contest in the air in the next off season. Lots of young pieces are in place, but a couple of glaring holes that will help a lot when they are filled.
I think you undersell how good the port 18 year old ruck is already she’s a star and I think will go close to best player in the comp in years to come. Wales competed very well again. I think Tamara smith and Everest don’t get enough kudos and I am not a fan of fellows but she played well today. She still doesn’t know what to do with the ball but she attacks and tackles and competes. For now that’s probably enough but expect we go let her in the next year or 2. TLR is underrated her ability to get ball to boot quickly is excellent and was incredibly impactful today. Bodey and Bates do what they do great additions. We still lack defensive system if we can square that up add a few players in the off season and with natural development we could be a sneaky finals chance next year. Good win good season with a much tougher draw whatever happens next week.

I think you undersell how good the port 18 year old ruck is already she’s a star and I think will go close to best player in the comp in years to come. Wales competed very well again. I think Tamara smith and Everest don’t get enough kudos and I am not a fan of fellows but she played well today. She still doesn’t know what to do with the ball but she attacks and tackles and competes. For now that’s probably enough but expect we go let her in the next year or 2. TLR is underrated her ability to get ball to boot quickly is excellent and was incredibly impactful today. Bodey and Bates do what they do great additions. We still lack defensive system if we can square that up add a few players in the off season and with natural development we could be a sneaky finals chance next year. Good win good season with a much tougher draw whatever happens next week.

You are probably right regarding Scholz. I know how good the she was at junior level. She was also dominating SANFLW hit outs as a junior. She is a bit of a unicorn. She is 12 months behind Morphett at the Swans, who is the most athletic and probably the best ruck in the AFLW, so we will see if Scholz can do the same things around the ground in 12 months that Morphett can do now.

Wales needs to play like she did yesterday more consistently. I realise she is coming back from an injury, but I believe her poor performances at the backend of the season is partly mentality and partly technique. If she can break even in the Ruck, there’s enough talent in the midfield to get the games on our terms for significant periods of time.

I completely agree regarding TLR. Very very good a getting the ball onto her boot quickly under pressure (this is Baskaran’s next move) but unfortunately TLR can't cover the ground well enough. She can against the bottom teams, but gets exposed against the better teams.

Last edited:
Wales needs to play like she did yesterday more consistently. I realise she is coming back from an injury, but I believe her poor performances at the backend of the season is partly mentality and partly technique. If she can break even in the Ruck, there’s enough talent in the midfield to get the games on our terms for significant periods of time.

Wales has earned herself this weeks rising star nom!

Well done Lucy.

I really enjoyed the game, good tough contest scrappy footy. Not such a loose zone compared to last week against the Tigers. Fierce at the contest with both defences working hard. Think we are heading in the right direction if we beat the Cats then it’s a cracker year. Either way proud of our team effort, another preseason to jell together more, 2024 will be exciting. Fleming looks like she is having a case of second year blues, she’ll be back in form next year raring to go.

I really enjoyed the game, good tough contest scrappy footy. Not such a loose zone compared to last week against the Tigers. Fierce at the contest with both defences working hard. Think we are heading in the right direction if we beat the Cats then it’s a cracker year. Either way proud of our team effort, another preseason to jell together more, 2024 will be exciting. Fleming looks like she is having a case of second year blues, she’ll be back in form next year raring to go.

Dont think Fleming has been down on last years form. Just hasn't improved on last year. Part of that can be down to spending time up forward. Her T.O.G is similar to last year, but she's spent far less on ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back