AFLW Autopsy AFLW: Hawks vs Essendon, Kinetic Frankston, 2nd Sept 7:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Today the Hawk's announced all four of our off-season acquisitions will make their club debuts - Bates, Bodey, Breed and Stratts!

Ruck Lucy Wales will miss due to a bone stress injury. Aileen Gilroy a test after a Hamstring.

Team to follow. Tickets still available now: Tickets: 2023 NAB AFLW Season 8 - Hawthorn v Essendon, Frankston | Sat, 2 Sept 2023, 7:15 pm | Ticketmaster AU
I understand this game is also on 7plus but check your local guides.

Team named

B: Jenna Richardson, Catherine Brown
HB: Akec Makur Chuot, Aine McDonagh, Mackenzie Eardley
C: Kaitlyn Ashmore, Louise Stephenson, Aileen Gilroy
HF: Bridie Hipwell, Sarah Perkins, Jasmine Fleming
F: Mattea Breed, Sophie Locke
R: Tamara Luke, Tilly Lucas-Rodd, Kristy Stratton
INT: Emily Bates, Greta Bodey, Tahlia Fellows, Tamara Smith, Charlotte Baskaran

EMG: Tegan Cunningham, Emily Everist, Bridget Deed
New: Emily Bates (Brisbane), Greta Bodey (Brisbane), Kristy Stratton (formerly Collingwood), Mattea Breed

Those not injured (Wales) and not part of the team list and emergencies above are Baird, Barbakos, Kemp, Elliott, Dumont,

Does anyone know whether the tickets are for assigned seats in the grandstand? I might have mucked things up. Bought two tickets for family members and then one for myself and they seem to be in different rows. At the point of sale, they didn't have a ticket number or row but once I paid for them and added them to my wallet, they had a row and number assigned to them.

Last edited:
Bodey and Bates on bench, and McDonagh down back? Team selection japery.

Good looking 21. I'd like to see maybe Tegs or Kemp play at the cost of a forward but there's loads of competition for spots everywhere this year, good to see.

My target for the season is I want us to match our wins from last target, and improve score total.

Pumped for this year, all lined up to watch at home. Can’t get to Frankston ☹️ But daughter coming over in her new Hawthorn gear and membership arrived yesterday ! Pies and potato gems and a few frothy’s and a win.
Go Hawks!

Does anyone know whether the tickets are for assigned seats in the grandstand? I might have mucked things up. Bought two tickets for family members and then one for myself and they seem to be in different rows. At the point of sale, they didn't have a ticket number or row but once I paid for them and added them to my wallet, they had a row and number assigned to them.
It's always been general admission in the grandstand. I assume the rows are for the system to register it (has a limited capacity)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Jenna Richardson, Catherine Brown
HB: Akec Makur Chuot, Mackenzie Eardley, Louise Stephenson
C: Kaitlyn Ashmore, Jasmine Fleming, Aileen Gilroy
HF: Greta Bodey, Sarah Perkins, Aine McDonagh
F: Mattea Breed, Sophie Locke
R: Tamara Luke, Tilly Lucas-Rodd, Emily Bates
INT: Kristy Stratton, Tahlia Fellows, Tamara Smith, Charlotte Baskaran, Bridie Hipwell

My take on what first bounce will actually look like. Main remit was to put the mids back in midfield, and Aine out of defence though she may indeed play there. I think all of Stephenson/Makur/Baskaran will rotate around the half back flanks. McDonagh and Breed to chop out in ruck as needed. Strong team in terms on midfield now, and loads of forward options.

My take on what first bounce will actually look like. Main remit was to put the mids back in midfield, and Aine out of defence though she may indeed play there. I think all of Stephenson/Makur/Baskaran will rotate around the half back flanks. McDonagh and Breed to chop out in ruck as needed. Strong team in terms on midfield now, and loads of forward options.
Anne will not play ruck. She has never rucked, and has been played on a wing preseason

Anne will not play ruck. She has never rucked, and has been played on a wing preseason
Last year Aine pinched in the ruck when Cunningham was out of squad, which is case now. Breed will do most of it when Luke rests you'd guess, but very undersized. I think going forward they are hoping for a Wales/Dumont combo develops.

Not bad first quarter.
Essendon one goal after a ruck free that shouldn't be paid any more (ball after taking it out of the ruck)

Mids a bit out of sync but last couple of minutes began to work

Remove this Banner Ad

Back