AFLW Autopsy AFLW Rd 2: Hawks v Western Bulldogs, Mars Stadium Ballarat, Sun 10/09 1.05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Aristarchus

Debutant
Feb 25, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS
Sunday 10 September

Mars Stadium, 1.05pm

B: Jenna Richardson, Tamara Luke
HB: Mackenzie Eardley, Catherine Brown, Aine McDonagh
C: Kaitlyn Ashmore, Charlotte Baskaran, Louise Stephenson
HF: Greta Bodey, Aileen Gilroy, Kristy Stratton
F: Mattea Breed, Bridie Hipwell
R: Lucy Wales, Tilly Lucas-Rodd, Jasmine Fleming

INT: Emily Bates, Akec Makur Chuot, Emily Everist, Laura Elliott, Sophie Locke

EMG: Sarah Perkins, Tahlia Fellows, Bridget Deed

IN: Lucy Wales, Laura Elliott, Emily Everist

OUT: Tamara Smith (suspended), Sarah Perkins (omitted), Tahlia Fellows (omitted)

Last time we met
Hawthorn (7) defeated by Western Bulldogs (37), Round 4, S7

My hopes:
At least 3 goals again
Margin <12
Clearer team structure in forwards and defence.

Anyone making the trip?

Last edited:

Brilliant goal, TLR open in forward line, brilliant clearance from Fleming. Great signs.

Scrappy game but we are in the contest, honestly would be in front if disposal use got better, still the Achilles heel of team.

When they get it into forward line, they seem to be doing more so that's good.

Defence holding up well, Brown, Ashmore, Stephenson.

Sounds like Mark Ricciuto is doing special comments on Kayo

Breed doing her best Fellows impression with that kick to the only blue shirt in the 50.

Ashmore very lucky on the receivingend of a big bump, probably needs HT coming soon.

This quarter has been excellent, maybe deserve another two goals but very excited if this is an example of our brand of footy in the future. Ground might have something to do with it as well, which makes it strange that Frankston is "home".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two ordinary teams playing ordinary footy. Scoreboard being close makes it more exciting than it actually is. Although the Dogs look to be stretching the scoreboard

You have to wonder if our players work enough skill development and skill execution under pressure and fatigue or if they are just doing strategic stuff. We have some girls that look like a rabbit in the spotlight whenever there’s a shadow from the oppo. Game awareness non existent with some too - some experienced players are just as guilty of this too. Makur-Chuot is not AFLW standard.

How the hell Lamb is afforded so much space is staggering. Huge stuff up of our scouting or poor discipline from the players.

I agree with comment above, Fleming is comfortably our best player. Loving the work of Stratton, Ashcroft and Luke.

It was a win. Just not sure how great it actually was.
You're kidding right?
Inexperienced team playing at a venue they've never played at (or trained at), against a team rated top 4 by many (albeit with fitness issues - cancelled by our own issues)

Now what I loved
Not letting the 3rd quarter get away from us. We got dominated, but kept it to less than a goal, rather than facing a 3 goal deficit going into the last

Thought strats was once again a bit of a barometer. Not the best on, but the mvp. Hit contests hard, held a few good tackles, and never dropped her head when it looked like the game was going against us. Her smarts and guts to get a hand to the ball late won us the game. From the resulting throw in I think it was bodey who goaled

Elliot really stood up in defence, to the point where it looked like they had to put a tag on her

Jas Fleming was probably BOG. Only player to really look to go forwards rather than sideways. Not knowing the stats, you'd think she was instrumental in most of our i50s

Really want to know what bec says to them at half time. They're flat every week coming out of the main break

Get in! With the Doggies depleted by injuries and a wide open ground the game was there for the taking. I thought they'd get close but didn't expect a win, yes!!!

Think we've seen how far we have to go in terms of fitness and of course skills but we've also seen there what it's going to look like when it all clicks. Scrappy game but had to play better than last week to get that W.

We saw a forward line! Bodey, McDonagh, Hipwell as targets, one small and one rotating mid. I hope we see more of it, though did think it was weird Locke didn't play until 3Q, these interchange rules are creating "super subs" which is meh (Everist hardly sighted too?).

Our midfield will be so much better once they can improve ball movement and link up better. Baskaran can certainly find it, just needs a bit more silk. Bates, Lucas-Rodd, Fleming all guns. Stratton did a great job tagging Blackburn, who still get 20 possessions but could've run away with the game but didn't!

Vets had mixed games, I think Gilroy and Stephenson overall had quieter games than they'd like but Makur Chuot was much better than last week and Ashmore close to BOG. Look wide-angle view - some of those players will be yardsticks for how this team is tracking. If they do develop into a finals quality side then some won't be playing (or on the list by then), everything just takes time and patience.

Elliot's best game in defence (that intercept just before Wales' great rundown was excellent) - they all stood tall at different times. Having Brown and Eardley is creating great continuity. Better teams will take advantage of easy uncontested marks I50 though so we have to be mindful of opponent's counters.

Next week is Bowers and Millers on their home turf which is an ominous prospect but I feel like if Hawks play like today then we are a chance of the win out West.

You're kidding right?
Inexperienced team playing at a venue they've never played at (or trained at), against a team rated top 4 by many (albeit with fitness issues - cancelled by our own issues)

Now what I loved
Not letting the 3rd quarter get away from us. We got dominated, but kept it to less than a goal, rather than facing a 3 goal deficit going into the last

Thought strats was once again a bit of a barometer. Not the best on, but the mvp. Hit contests hard, held a few good tackles, and never dropped her head when it looked like the game was going against us. Her smarts and guts to get a hand to the ball late won us the game. From the resulting throw in I think it was bodey who goaled

Elliot really stood up in defence, to the point where it looked like they had to put a tag on her

Jas Fleming was probably BOG. Only player to really look to go forwards rather than sideways. Not knowing the stats, you'd think she was instrumental in most of our i50s

Really want to know what bec says to them at half time. They're flat every week coming out of the main break
It's a good sign when you can't tell who should get votes! Bates, TLR, Fleming, Ashmore, Elliot, Stratton all up there and plenty of others you could mention too!

It
It was a win. Just not sure how great it actually was.
was a team in its second season, playing a foundation team who played finals last season. But you do you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back