AFLW Toast AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

List Changes Summary 2024
Posting the summaries from the OP into a new post so we can pin it.
Publicly known ContractsAdditionsDeletions
Signed on at end 2022 for two years:
  1. Bridget Deed
  2. Mackenzie Eardley
  3. Laura Elliott
  4. Emily Everist
  5. Tahlia Fellows
  6. Jasmine Fleming
  7. Jenna Richardson
  8. Tamara Smith
  9. Lucy Wales
All other players retained for 2024 but
no public announcements have been
made about contract lengths
  1. Sophie Butterworth (draft)
  2. Hayley McLaughlin (pre-signing)
  3. Casey Sheriff (trade, Demons)
  4. Laura Stone (pre-signing)
  5. Jess Vukic (pre-signing)
  6. Eliza West (trade, Demons)
  7. Mikayla Williamson (draft)
  1. Janet Baird (delisted)
  2. Zoe Barbakos (delisted)
  3. Catherine Brown (retired)
  4. Tegan Cunningham (retired)
  5. Tamara Luke (retired)
  6. Akec Makur Chout (retired)
  7. Sarah Perkins (delisted)

Last edited:
Hi all, starting a new thread for the list changes and other news for the Women's team ahead of next season rather than continue to clog up the 2023 thread.

As of today, it appears we will offer Laura Stone and Jess Vukic from Eastern two of our three eligible spots to pre-list on our list and skip the draft. Another eligible Eastern kid, Pisano, looks like she will decline.

Last edited:
Hi all, starting a new thread for the list changes and other news for the Women's team ahead of next season rather than continue to clog up the 2023 thread.

As of today, it appears we will offer Laura Stone and Jess Vukic from Eastern two of our three eligible spots to pre-list on our list and skip the draft. Another eligible Eastern kid, Pisano, looks like she will decline.
The little-known rule that could see top prospects skip the draft

For the draft it appears we'll have pick 5 or 6 overall, depending on how the final game against Geelong this week goes. It'll be the second Victorian pick after the Doggies for players nominating Victoria only.

List changes will see at least Akec and Cunningham off the list after they retire.
Can see perko hanging them up, don't think Dumont will get another go, Baird may be moved on, but don't think many others will.
Club will also go hard at 1 or 2 tall free agents, so think we'll only take 2 picks (given stone is set to nominate us predraft)

The following players that were on last year's list already have contracts for next season
(source: Everyone who has re-signed with the AFLW Hawks)
  1. Jasmine Fleming
  2. Tahlia Fellows
  3. Jenna Richardson
  4. Bridget Deed
  5. Mackenzie Eardley,
  6. Laura Elliott
  7. Tamara Smith
  8. Emily Everist,
  9. Lucy Wales
Assumedly Bates and Bodey still have 1-2 years on their sign-on deals, but have seen no public confirmation for that.

EDIT: Moving some of the commentary from my opening post down here so if the OP gets stickied it doesn't take up half the screen

The little-known rule that could see top prospects skip the draft
Appears Stone and Vukic (key fwd) will get pre-list offers, with Stone at least a monty to accept. Alyssa Pisano will go into the draft and decline our offer, preferring the 'experience' of going into the mix. She will have to be selected the conventional way if HFC prefers her at our first pick to any other eligible nominees.

For the draft it appears we'll have pick 5 or 6 overall, depending on how the final game against Geelong this week goes. It'll be the second Victorian pick after the Doggies for players nominating Victoria only.

List changes will see at least Akec and Cunningham off the list after they retire.

Last edited:

The following players that were on last year's list already have contracts for next season
(source: Everyone who has re-signed with the AFLW Hawks)
  1. Jasmine Fleming
  2. Tahlia Fellows
  3. Jenna Richardson
  4. Bridget Deed
  5. Mackenzie Eardley,
  6. Laura Elliott
  7. Tamara Smith
  8. Emily Everist,
  9. Lucy Wales
Assumedly Bates and Bodey still have 1-2 years on their sign-on deals, but have seen no public confirmation for that.

The CBA was only just signed, so most will be signed up or in the process of being signed up

Add Tamara Luke to the retirements

Have added a table to the Opening post with the current known public status of these. As MM said, should be a lot more publicly released in the next few weeks as the 2023 expiring contracted players find out more where they fit with the squad direction and new CBA.

Last edited:
So, the best and fairest has been announced for December 6th.
Talk about a wait!
I guess they've booked it to allow kaegan Brooksby and Abby to come back from their wedding/honeymoon

Stone and Vukic added

Last edited:
These youngsters that have played the game through their childhood are coming in with a great skill base.

The highlights we have so far look good. Can only complement the team we are building.
I think we've got the culture right and the girls love playing together and have a desire to win. I see us getting a few more wins next year with the talent we've acquired thus far. Be interesting to see what happens in the trade/draft period out side of these free hits. (which is so good!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bec as I have said before did a great job as a manager, but now we really need a teaching coach with a decent game plan. we need to teach these young women the right way to play from the outset.
It’s actually interesting these shock retirements sometimes are an agreement to save face I’ve seen it working in large corporates all my life. I wonder if the club decided they wanted to go in a different direction and this is the action that let’s both parties come out looking good. No knock on Bec excellent at her strengths instrumental in building a harmonious initial group and luring some big fish a lasting positive impression but time for a different focus.

It’s actually interesting these shock retirements sometimes are an agreement to save face I’ve seen it working in large corporates all my life. I wonder if the club decided they wanted to go in a different direction and this is the action that let’s both parties come out looking good. No knock on Bec excellent at her strengths instrumental in building a harmonious initial group and luring some big fish a lasting positive impression but time for a different focus.

It has a bit of that feel, but at the same time bec was coaxed out of retirement initially so it may have been legitimate.

One things for sure, I hope we don't get Harford. He has NFI about footy. I've heard him commentate, I've heard him at live "sportsman's" nights, he's just short of a "just kick it" type

Wow shocked. I think she's been a great coach for us and pleased she was our first head coach. Haven't heard anything about payer not liking her, usually there's a few grumbles.

I am now a bit worried about 2024 though. A new coach and 5-6 new draft-age players feels very much like it'll be another development year go into our 3rd year, whilst we have to watch some of the other final expansion team ls compete in finals again.

Still looking forward to how it all comes together, the core group are all super talented and will have had another year together.

Thought this could also be a preseason thread rather than creating a new one. Updates and whispers to be posted here.

Kristy Stratton has been on an end of season trip. First day back and she's at box hill training. Dedication and team orientated. Most of the girls have avoided vfl training

It has a bit of that feel, but at the same time bec was coaxed out of retirement initially so it may have been legitimate.
Im not connected with AFLW but have heard from a few people who probably know it was a ' do you want to retire ? ' if you dont thats ok but we will be moving on '.

Im not connected with AFLW but have heard from a few people who probably know it was a ' do you want to retire ? ' if you dont thats ok but we will be moving on '.
Yeah it smacked of that. She certainly has some great leadership traits and has had a lasting impact but you even heard it from Emily Bates who said they would be looking for a coach with a real focus on strategy and tactics. Bec was a good choice to set things up but now time for the next stage of team development. Sincerely wish her well.

I agree with what you said. Was merely pointing out her status before she came to us. Also, having met bec plenty of times and having lots of footy discussions with her, she seems like the type who would go to the club and say she's given as much as she can.

Might be a bit of column a and a bit of column b

Thought this could also be a preseason thread rather than creating a new one. Updates and whispers to be posted here.

Kristy Stratton has been on an end of season trip. First day back and she's at box hill training. Dedication and team orientated. Most of the girls have avoided vfl training
What a player. Was surprised, especially with the injury previous season, she was selected from Box Hill ahead of the likes of Mifsud or Boyd, but been pure class for us, whether on ball or attacking the ball in the forward.

Yeah it smacked of that. She certainly has some great leadership traits and has had a lasting impact but you even heard it from Emily Bates who said they would be looking for a coach with a real focus on strategy and tactics. Bec was a good choice to set things up but now time for the next stage of team development. Sincerely wish her well.

Yeah, I watched that video and found the Bates comments interesting too. Wasn't being negative towards Goddard but the "more technical/tactical" hope in a new coach did stand out.

No idea who that would be but I hope they fit well and don't suddenly force them to learn a completely different gameplan. They'll also have to be good at development with such a young squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back