AFLW Toast AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

List Changes Summary 2024
Posting the summaries from the OP into a new post so we can pin it.
Publicly known ContractsAdditionsDeletions
Signed on at end 2022 for two years:
  1. Bridget Deed
  2. Mackenzie Eardley
  3. Laura Elliott
  4. Emily Everist
  5. Tahlia Fellows
  6. Jasmine Fleming
  7. Jenna Richardson
  8. Tamara Smith
  9. Lucy Wales
All other players retained for 2024 but
no public announcements have been
made about contract lengths
  1. Sophie Butterworth (draft)
  2. Hayley McLaughlin (pre-signing)
  3. Casey Sheriff (trade, Demons)
  4. Laura Stone (pre-signing)
  5. Jess Vukic (pre-signing)
  6. Eliza West (trade, Demons)
  7. Mikayla Williamson (draft)
  1. Janet Baird (delisted)
  2. Zoe Barbakos (delisted)
  3. Catherine Brown (retired)
  4. Tegan Cunningham (retired)
  5. Tamara Luke (retired)
  6. Akec Makur Chout (retired)
  7. Sarah Perkins (delisted)

Last edited:
Yeah it does seem to be overs, especially when neither are a position of need like Birch was.

No excuse now for midfield to forward transitions. We have the players. Sheriff should link up well with Bodey and McDonagh up front, though may end up playing elsewhere too. A bonfide wing in West will be good, take the pressure off those developing in that position currently.

Still have a relatively high pick so that's a silver lining. It'll still be a young side next season if this is it. 7/30 list movements is quite high, needed because of the retirements. 5 youngsters - 2 in the draft/3 presignings - plus 2 vets in trade.

A bonfide wing in West will be good, take the pressure off those developing in that position currently.
But... Eliza West is an inside mid, all day every day. Never heard her described as a wing before.

With five already in and only six out, there was always likely to be further delisting(s) to make room for our draftees.

Zoe Barbakos is the unlucky one without a chair when the music stopped. Played 7 games last year but none this season.

Last edited:
With five already in and only six out, there was always likely to be further delisting(s) to make room for our draftees.

Zoe Barbakos is the unlucky one without a chair when the music stopped. Played 7 games last year but none this season.

Didn't see her at the best and fairest either (I'm sure she was there)
This season from my interactions with the club, she seemed really dejected this year

She had her best game in the Marvel opener, didn't really do much after and didn't seem to be close to selection this season unfortunately.

I'm guessing we are done for the trade period unless they are involved in a pick swap trade of some sort.

Hi all, you're welcome to the AFLW Draft Night discussion thread over on the main board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy with that draft. You have to take Williamson if she was on the board any day of the week. Butterworth a top forward so a steal so late.

Our list balance may be out of whack, but with 5 new teenagers coming onto the list now, next season was always going to be about development. Plenty of time to figure things out.

The Hawks, unlike many other AFLW clubs, have been pretty quiet about publicly announcing re-signings and any new multi-year contracts of those whose contracts finished at the end of the season.

However, the following article makes it seem like at the very least all remaining players have re-signed and there are no further list changes e.g. Dumont moving on.

2024 list: Kaitlyn Ashmore, Charlotte Baskaran, Emily Bates, Greta Bodey, Mattea Breed, Sophie Butterworth, Bridget Deed, Casey Dumont, Mackenzie Eardley, Laura Elliott, Emily Everist, Tahlia Fellows, Jasmine Fleming, Aileen Gilroy, Bridie Hipwell, Ainslie Kemp, Sophie Locke, Tilly Lucas-Rodd, Aine McDonagh, Hayley McLaughlin, Jenna Richardson, Casey Sherriff, Tamara Smith, Louise Stephenson, Laura Stone, Kristy Stratton, Jess Vukic, Lucy Wales, Eliza West, Mikayla Williamson

While we don’t have a VFLW thread I’ve been maintaining the list announcements in the stickied post here also.

First new signing announcement today, and it’s a familiar face. Tamara Luke will remain at Box Hill this year after retiring from the senior Hawks

VFLW changes according to afl.com.au

COACH: Michael Ericson (confirmed until 2024, replacing Cherie O’Neill).

STAYING: Box Hill Hawks: Chloe Bailey, Gabby Collingwood, Cassie Davidson, Nicole Garner, Bella Gray, Mietta Kendall, Tamara Luke (Hawthorn retirement), Grace Matser, Ellie McLinden, Alisha Molesworth, Annie Muir, Caitlin Thorne, Matilda van Berkel, Nadia von Bertouch;

ARRIVING: Box Hill Hawks: Teagan Bradley (North Melbourne VFLW), Sophie Butterworth (Beleura/Dandenong Stingrays/Casey Demons), Tess Cattle (GWS), Jess Cox (Swan Districts), Tayissa Gray (Port Melbourne), Jess Matin (St Kilda), Jess Mourney (North Melbourne VFLW), Danica Spamer (UTS), Ash van Rooyen (Beaumaris/ Sandringham Dragons), Emily Shepherd (Collingwood VFLW), Kyla Tracey (Western Bulldogs VFLW);

DEPARTING: Box Hill Hawks: Maddie Boyd (St Kilda), Sunday Brisbane (retired), Macie Gilmour (delisted), Abbey Holmes (retired), Grace McRae (travelling), Jordan Mifsud (Port Melbourne), Chantella Perera (retired), Alyssia Pisano (Melbourne), Molly Simpson (Williamstown), Jess Trend (retired), Holly Whitford (retired);

TO BE CONFIRMED: Box Hill Hawks: Ava Campbell, Hannah Fosbrooke, Charlotte Hammans, Sarah Humm, Akayla Peterson, Amanda Tessari, Monique Trusler, Drew Ryan, Sky Wilson, Jade Wise, Erin Woodford, Emerson Woods;

Hi. I'm new to this forum and probably won't post much, but thought I would weigh in a bit here.

On the draft, Williamson wasn't an ideal fit but was too good to pass up. Butterworth a bargain who I mocked to us at our first pick when I did my mock draft. That being said, Williamson is a big midfielder and I like big midfielders, which we don't really have.

The three pre-signings are all good players and the more talent league I watched, the more I like McLaughlin as a shrunken version of Kaitlyn Ashmore. Stone is a star and I was campaigning to get her by any means necessary since May, dominated in the VFLW when she played 2 games for Box Hill and was brilliant at the Championships.

Sean Buncle is the name on top of my coaching wish list.

Feel free to check out the Soaring to New Heights podcast (which I co-host), which is all about Hawthorn AFLW and Box Hill VFLW :) We have match reviews, player interviews, and basically anything Hawthorn AFLW related you can think of.

Hi. I'm new to this forum and probably won't post much, but thought I would weigh in a bit here.

On the draft, Williamson wasn't an ideal fit but was too good to pass up. Butterworth a bargain who I mocked to us at our first pick when I did my mock draft. That being said, Williamson is a big midfielder and I like big midfielders, which we don't really have.

The three pre-signings are all good players and the more talent league I watched, the more I like McLaughlin as a shrunken version of Kaitlyn Ashmore. Stone is a star and I was campaigning to get her by any means necessary since May, dominated in the VFLW when she played 2 games for Box Hill and was brilliant at the Championships.

Sean Buncle is the name on top of my coaching wish list.

Feel free to check out the Soaring to New Heights podcast (which I co-host), which is all about Hawthorn AFLW and Box Hill VFLW :) We have match reviews, player interviews, and basically anything Hawthorn AFLW related you can think of.
Hey Liam I am subscribed you and Timmy do a good job and your passion shines through. Keep up the good work mate and do your best to keep Harford away from the coaching gig.

I reckon Fellows & Tamara Smith stiff to miss the lineup below.

View attachment 1893157

Tamara Smith is a lock for a back pocket role. Fellows won’t be on the list in 1-2 years the standard of both the competition and our fledgling team will increase faster than she will and she’s not really up to it now.
Vukic won’t start she only played Ruck in juniors so has a lot to learn forward. The unlucky one is Breed she showed a lot later on and can play a variety of roles. I would also have Kemp in front of Elliot not sold on her at all.
In: Breed Kemp Smith
Out: Vukic Elliot Locke

All the best teams that AFLW have put together include a lot of the kids. Not sure they will all be automatic starters like they suggest.

Breed’s backend of the season was very good, as pointed out. She can play in any line. We would have to be going exceptionally well if she wasn’t in the best team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back