Game Day Round 9 vs. WCE, Marvel, 1:00pm Sun 12/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I’m worried, McGovern could have an absolute field day without checkers. Reef is NOT the replacement for him it’s not his game. The only one is Freddy. The big body do anything to keep the ball in the forward line, will crash the pack and kill everyone who gets in his way. We need that against WCE not a pretty boy pseudo third tall. Horses for courses this selection just swap checkers and Freddy. Replacing Beau will be an issue as we don’t have a pressure forward like him so perhaps Joe gets a debut or JC but JC just hasn’t been up to it lately. It’s a tricky selection situation this week. We have to be aware of their intercept defenders but be mindful of being able to keep up that manic forward pressure of the last couple of weeks and let’s be honest apart from Krueger none of the other forward options are really manic pressure players, that’s not the DNA of a true forward. Too bad we can’t bring in Sam Glover he’d be ideal this week, perhaps the old NBA 10 day contract. 😂

Ps: I need to use paragraphs a bit more 😂

Last edited:
barass and McGovern will have a field day. Against any other team I’d be against it, but perhaps frampton can do another forward job and just get the ball to ground.

But then what to do next week.. hmmm..

Can we bring forward the MSD?

I'd rather leave Frampton in defence alongside Moore even if the West Coast opposition might allow for such a move this week.

My thinking is most weeks we'll need both as genuine tall defenders, our pillars and in reality with Frampton spending little time in defence last season we need to keep exposing him in that role and building his chemistry with his defensive teammates.

To try and overcome Barass and McGovern we go smaller, play smart, lower our eyes and use a mixture of quick mobile small/medium targets like Elliott, Hill, Hoskin-Elliott, McInnes and Howe.

Well
Out checkers in Krueger
Out Schultz in reef
Out mcreery in Sullivan
Out sidebum in Richards
We're not dropping Sidebottom when we have 7 of our best 22 unavailable

IN: AJ, Reef, Macrae
OUT: Mihocek, McCreery, Schultz

Reef gives us versatility as a second tall in the air, as well as on the ground

Reef is more ready than Krueger 😂

Physically? In terms of size, weight, frame etc? Yeah Nathan is “made of glass” so to speak but he’s physically bigger and stronger than Reef and better equipped to be the main target in the forward line

Not sure we’d be doing Reef’s development any favours making him play the role Checkers does

I'd rather leave Frampton in defence alongside Moore even if the West Coast opposition might allow for such a move this week.

My thinking is most weeks we'll need both as genuine tall defenders, our pillars and in reality with Frampton spending little time in defence last season we need to keep exposing him in that role and building his chemistry with his defensive teammates.

To try and overcome Barass and McGovern we go smaller, play smart, lower our eyes and use a mixture of quick mobile small/medium targets like Elliott, Hill, Hoskin-Elliott, McInnes and Howe.
That's how I would go.

If we can’t start them both, I feel Sullivan will get chances.

As it stands, we need to know how Finn can play without Mitchell and JDG in the side.
play sullivan in schultz role. Reef gets checkers, bring in Fin, we were already a mid or two down and had too many small forwards.

Outs: Mihocek, Shultz, McCreery
Ins: Mcinnes, Krueger and Sullivan
Sub: Johnson

Forwardline
HF Steele Sidebottom - Reef McInnes - Patrick Lipinksi
FF Bobby Hill - Nathan Kreguar - Jamie Elliot
Can't see the point of Johnson as the sub. If he's picked, it should be for the whole game.

Alternatively, with Waterman out and already no Oscar Allen, surely we can afford to swing Howe or Moore forward and bring in say Dean as cover?

Reef in for Checkers. Fin & Bytel in for Beau & Shoota. Sullivan in 22. Fin or Bytel as sub.
I'm thinking this as well.

We still have WHE up forward, i think McGovern will go onto him, i'm not sure what other backmen Westcoast have, cause, well, it's Westcoast and i don't care. But we can't be complacent, we have key personal out, even though they have players out too, they are still a threat.

Looks like Reef played well on the weekend, as did Fin and Bytel. I don't think they would play Kreuger just yet, being so injury prone, would need to get more fitness into him. Can always move either Frampton or Howe forward. I'd leave Moore on Darling.

Even though it sucks that we have injuries, i'm excited for some kids to get a go, Sully and Harrison have been a pleasant surprise, hopefully we get more surprises.

play sullivan in schultz role. Reef gets checkers, bring in Fin, we were already a mid or two down and had too many small forwards.
It felt like we were down a midfielder or 2 in the Essendon game, and now we know about Degoeys and Titches injuries, we know why. So bring in Fin seems like we are somewhat improving the midfield, he's been playing well in the VFL, give him a couple of games to see how he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darling needs someone experienced who won't fall for his staging otherwise he will be handed 10 goals this week from the umps.

Anyone know how Carmichael's doing in the VFL. I thought he would have been a handy inclusion when required in the 22

I'm thinking this as well.

We still have WHE up forward, i think McGovern will go onto him, i'm not sure what other backmen Westcoast have, cause, well, it's Westcoast and i don't care. But we can't be complacent, we have key personal out, even though they have players out too, they are still a threat.

Looks like Reef played well on the weekend, as did Fin and Bytel. I don't think they would play Kreuger just yet, being so injury prone, would need to get more fitness into him. Can always move either Frampton or Howe forward. I'd leave Moore on Darling.

Even though it sucks that we have injuries, i'm excited for some kids to get a go, Sully and Harrison have been a pleasant surprise, hopefully we get more surprises.
Yeah I wouldn't be risking Freddy as our sole tall forward in a game when Checkers isn't also playing. He's only had 1 game in the VFL & clearly not ready yet. And most definitely not returning from injury to play on the concrete Marvel surface.

Fly hinted on sen this afternoon about possibly bringing in someone who hasn't played yet..so I guess that would be Bytel or Richards. I'm leaning towards Bytel.

I think Reef was coming in regardless of Checkers injury, so now he's definitely in.

And with so many outs Fin gets another opportunity. He has no more excuses to not make an impact, imo.

Gee, we do like to make things hard for ourselves. I hope Schultz is feeling very embarrassed and indebted for badly letting the side down with that stupid suspension.

I don't think any one of Reef, Johnson or Krueger can individually replace Checkers. I think TWO of that trio need to come in to replace Checkers' output. Johnson can't yet be trusted to make a genuine contest, so I'd go with:

OUT - McCreery (inj), Schultz (stupidity), Mihocek (inj)
IN - McInnes, Krueger, Bytel

Bytel or Lippa as sub. Full games for HH and Sullivan please.

Physically? In terms of size, weight, frame etc? Yeah Nathan is “made of glass” so to speak but he’s physically bigger and stronger than Reef and better equipped to be the main target in the forward line

Not sure we’d be doing Reef’s development any favours making him play the role Checkers does

Only thing with Krueger is he only played his first VFL game last Saturday.
Considering his injury profile, l would think he needs more run in his legs, and get match fitter.
If we elevate him to senior footy this weekend, you feel he would be under done, hence increasing his chance of a soft tissue injury.

I agree Sullivan is in the 22 this week but he just doesn’t have the pace for Schultz role. Williams gave him wind burn at one stage

Yeah I wouldn't be risking Freddy as our sole tall forward in a game when Checkers isn't also playing. He's only had 1 game in the VFL & clearly not ready yet.

Fly hinted on sen this afternoon about possibly bringing in someone who hasn't played yet..so I guess that would be Bytel or Richards. I'm leaning towards Bytel.

I think Reef was coming in regardless of Checkers injury, so now he's definitely in.

And with so many outs Fin gets another opportunity. He has no more excuses to not make an impact, imo.
I didn't hear the fly interview, i would think maybe Bytel then, but then again they have known to go complete left field at times, we'll find out soon enough.

Gee, we do like to make things hard for ourselves. I hope Schultz is feeling very embarrassed and indebted for badly letting the side down with that stupid suspension.

I don't think any one of Reef, Johnson or Krueger can individually replace Checkers. I think TWO of that trio need to come in to replace Checkers' output. Johnson can't yet be trusted to make a genuine contest, so I'd go with:

OUT - McCreery (inj), Schultz (stupidity), Mihocek (inj)
IN - McInnes, Krueger, Bytel

Bytel or Lippa as sub. Full games for HH and Sullivan please.
It was already stupid, but Checkers injury has made it worse, i know Carlton players have unbelievable punchable heads, but he's gonna control himself more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back